Trek XII - Images, Videos, Discussion, ect...

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11
posted on September 14th, 2012, 11:04 pm
Myles wrote:
hellodean wrote:
Myles wrote:i'd jump out of my seat too if the entire movie blew up, everyone in the first row would be killed.

lolololol

praxis (just googled it) was a dilithium moon so perhaps it has technobabble technobabble that makes it extremely explosive. i couldnt find a clip of it on youtube tho which is surprising..

i'm not sure which side of the fence i want to be on with this question.

on one hand, dilithium is pure technobabble, so it can be as explosive as the plot needs. even if the excelsior was hugging the border of klingon space, if they felt the explosion that far out, what must qonos (and other nearby klingon worlds) have felt? it spilled sulu's glorious tea at that distance, the damage to the klingons must have been more than just a loss of power, death toll would've been high.

on the other hand Morbo says DILITHIUM DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. dilithium is a crystal that regulates the m/am reaction. the m/am reaction is where the power comes from, not the dilithium. the dilithium just makes sure that the m/am reaction powers the engines over time, instead of blowing the entire ship to pieces like a large photon torpedo.

i'm not a huge fan of the explosion of praxis, as a plot point it could have been replaced with something else, maybe a virus or something.

That was my impression of dilithium as well. Everytime the warpcore is about to breach on an episode it is inevitable something about the antimatter mixture or some field beginning to fail....never about the dilithium itself. The only "risky" warpcores that I am aware of are the Romulan ones which you supposedly can't turn off once you activate them.

That "shockwave" looked like it woudl rip off the atmosphere of any nearby planets and you have to figure that it was even more powerful and concentrated in the solar system. Then of course there is the little tiny detail of distance/time. If I remember correctly it takes 8 minutes for light to go from the sun to the earth.......that is travelling at the speed of light. It takes light hours to get to the outer solar system and years for the nearest star. How freaking long would it take a sublight shock wave to travel outside of a solar system and past other nearby start to hit a starship?
posted on September 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Squire James wrote:Physics plot hole filled, largely. No very-over-the-top special effect wave required.

they probably really wanted sulu to lose his glorious tea. captains don't usually drink tea in the captain's chair, sulu's cuppa was leading a charmed life. it had to spill its life.

also i love the table sulu had on the bridge for his tea. i can't see that table having any function other than storage for the captain's tea. what a boss. it was either a place to store tea or seatbelts, he chose wisely.

nathanj wrote:Then of course there is the little tiny detail of distance/time. If I remember correctly it takes 8 minutes for light to go from the sun to the earth.......that is travelling at the speed of light. It takes light hours to get to the outer solar system and years for the nearest star. How freaking long would it take a sublight shock wave to travel outside of a solar system and past other nearby start to hit a starship?

yes, your distance/time statement is valid. a sublight shockwave is out of the question, meaning the technobabble has further to stretch. the shockwave would have to be ftl.

light from our sun to earth is about 8 mins, to our nearest neighbour is already about 4 years. qonos wouldn't be on the klingon border, it's their origin and homeworld, so the excelsior would be more than 4 ly away. that's assuming praxis is somewhere near qonos as qonos's atmosphere was damaged (hence them asking for peace).

ma says that the shockwave was a "subspace shock wave". allowing for ftl travel. but subspace is pretty inconsistent. sometimes it's treated like its own special universe, detached from ours. we can't say whether or not something travelling in subspace would cause damage in normal space.

it'll never fully add up.
posted on September 14th, 2012, 11:26 pm
which is a shame but sometimes you just have to let it go and enjoy it as a story.. onless you want to go crazy with no way of resolving it.

does make you think they should pass the script by someone from nasa or something that knows all about this stuff
posted on September 14th, 2012, 11:34 pm
hellodean wrote:does make you think they should pass the script by someone from nasa or something that knows all about this stuff

the big bang theory get their science stuff examined by a real phd, and they're a comedy. you'd think movie writers could do so too.
posted on September 15th, 2012, 12:38 am
I have found that the more I go to school the less enjoyment I get out of movies. After 2 physics course and an astronomy course and chemistry etc. My eyes roll an average of 14.8 times per action movie and around 11.3 times for a science fiction flick. Surprisingly action movies give me more grief because of how they portray people jumping away from explosions only a few meters away and NOT BEING DEAD! :hmmm: Add to that the flying backwards from gunshots etc.
posted on September 15th, 2012, 11:12 am
nathanj wrote:I have found that the more I go to school the less enjoyment I get out of movies. After 2 physics course and an astronomy course and chemistry etc. My eyes roll an average of 14.8 times per action movie and around 11.3 times for a science fiction flick. Surprisingly action movies give me more grief because of how they portray people jumping away from explosions only a few meters away and NOT BEING DEAD! :hmmm: Add to that the flying backwards from gunshots etc.

indeed, that's a side effect of being educated, the more you know, the less appealing are media designed for the masses. it's also an indictment of the poor quality of education these days.

simple applications of secondary school level physics should tell you that if your gun could knock somebody flying, then either it would knock you flying, or would have to vapourise your face with gasses released to prevent recoil.
posted on September 15th, 2012, 12:11 pm
Myles wrote:
also i love the table sulu had on the bridge for his tea. i can't see that table having any function other than storage for the captain's tea. what a boss. it was either a place to store tea or seatbelts, he chose wisely.

It sadly probably wasn't, but I've always though it was a neat little nod to the Starfleet Battles series since his tabletop looks almost exactly like a shield display from that game. A nerd can dream :P
posted on October 7th, 2012, 11:06 pm

new 3 fram clip from upcoming movie.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/10/05/jj-abra ... -spoilers/
posted on October 7th, 2012, 11:58 pm
if some bad guy has a secret base inside a volcano i'm gonna be so disappointed.
posted on October 8th, 2012, 1:00 am
lol...
posted on October 8th, 2012, 6:30 pm
Myles wrote:if some bad guy has a secret base inside a volcano i'm gonna be so disappointed.

A secret volcano inside a bad guy would be more fun. Could be JJ's re-interpretation of a joined trill.

But it's very interesting to see that releasing just three frames of a movie-scene is a matter to actually talk about. The actual importance of this reminds me of a big yaaaaaaaawn. It's neither teasing (like a really good trailer), nor is it a revelation in any possible way. The guy in the suit could be happy he was able to make fire. Stay tuned for the next release with subtitles to his little sing-along. :rolleyes:
posted on October 8th, 2012, 7:56 pm
Yes Jaws will chase james though the vacano trying to kill him.

Remember he likes his coffe shaken not stirred.
posted on October 8th, 2012, 8:43 pm
RedEyedRaven wrote:The guy in the suit could be happy he was able to make fire. Stay tuned for the next release with subtitles to his little sing-along

could this be.... the remake of the scene where they sing row row row your boat? philistines!
posted on November 7th, 2012, 12:54 am
Will Star Wars Episode VII announcement hurt Star Trek Into Darkness marketing rollout?

http://trekmovie.com/2012/11/02/will-star-wars-episode-vii-announcement-hurt-star-trek-into-darkness-marketing-rollout/

A new Star WARS movies with is Assome may conflict with Star Trek's turn out witch is not so assome.
posted on November 7th, 2012, 1:04 am
ewm90 wrote:[size=125]
A new Star WARS movies with is Assome may conflict with Star Trek's turn out witch is not so assome.

Sorry, you're going to have to translate that into English for me...
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11