Trek XII - Images, Videos, Discussion, ect...

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
posted on December 8th, 2012, 5:41 pm
Too much planet. Not enough ship.
posted on December 8th, 2012, 6:58 pm
Njm1983 wrote:Trailer did nothing for me. It confirms that villains still monologue in the future though.

I believe you mean a soliloquy old bean :P
posted on December 9th, 2012, 2:49 am
Squire James wrote:
Njm1983 wrote:Trailer did nothing for me. It confirms that villains still monologue in the future though.

I believe you mean a soliloquy old bean :P

Not to nitpick your nitpick, but a monologue or simply a rant would be correct. A soliloquy is usually a kind of speech given to the audience out side the normal flow of time, or in some way that the other characters are unaware. The only examples I can think of are in Shakespeare, but I"m sure there are more modern applications. A monologue would be given to the characters in the story.
posted on December 9th, 2012, 6:44 am
You're obviously educated to a higher level than me. No offense taken.

I'm still very dissapointed with this film. It could surprise but i m not thrilled about what I've seen and heard thus far. I've enjoyed the 1st film quite a bit. This seems like a let down.
posted on December 12th, 2012, 6:57 am
Myles wrote:Image

that sounds like the plot of a fanfic. do they not even care about plot any more? i wanna watch it cos it's trek, but i can't afford to lose 10 more iq points.

It's the Demigod plot from the original series, only instead of taking place on the Planet-of-Mat-Painting it takes place on earth (or maybe both?). Honestly I think this could work, but it depends heavily on the actor they got to play Gary being able to "sell" the part (I've never heard of this guy). This could go either way, I just really hope the Villain comes through. It's been a long long time since Star Trek has had a villain that wasn't lame. Nero could have been awesome if more of his personality and back story from the tie-in comics had been given screen time instead of red matter silliness and Kirk getting the crap repeatedly beaten out of him.

The images of the Enterprise appearing to have crashed into the water worries me though, nothing about that ship looks like it should ever be in the atmosphere (though I guess it was retconned in 09 to have been built on the ground..). Seems like crashing into the water like that should have ripped it apart at the nacelle pylons and the "neck"... At least the Kvort (BoP?) from IV had wings..
posted on December 12th, 2012, 10:55 am
Atroika wrote:It's the Demigod plot from the original series, only instead of taking place on the Planet-of-Mat-Painting it takes place on earth (or maybe both?)

this excuses nothing. the original was mildly acceptable because it was made in the 60s, when everyone was high, storytelling has come along a lot since then, just because it was acceptable in the 60s doesn't mean it's acceptable now.

i don't hold tos in the same high regards as many fans. i think its age is very obvious. tng didn't even get good until roddenberry's influence waned.
posted on December 12th, 2012, 6:08 pm
The second trailer was screened at BNAT and ofcourse details have come out.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/08/longer- ... e-details/

Full STAR TREK trailer indicates hands against glass scene is actually Spock and Cumberbatch. If he’s Sybock… Well, kudos.

That said, Cumberbatch does NOT have Vulcan ears. Hands against glass scene seems to be Cumby in the brig.

Trailer opens with Pike VO, telling Kirk he has courage but no humility, and someday that will get him and his crew killed.

Oh yeah: there’s space stuff in the full TREK trailer. Space combat. Guy in a space suit zooming around.

Cumberbatch was definitely shown in some sort of brig

Chekov (Anton Yelchin) appears in a red tunic (instead of his regular gold tunic)

Someone wears a EVA space suit with similar design to the one used in Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Not so specific but kinda spoiler-y details of the first nine minutes of the movie are here for those that wont be able to make it this weekend.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/09/first-i ... -darkness/

The IMAX footage was introduced by Star Trek Into Darkness director JJ Abrams who revealed that this audience was the first to see this special presentation (so apparently it wasn’t shown at the Tokyo press event last week). JJ also briefly addressed the film’s title and some comments in the media about the how this might be a ‘dark’ turn for Trek, saying:

"People say "’Into Darkness’ – lot of darkness, very doom and gloom" and there is a lot of intensity in this film, but it is also fun too, which you will see in this beginning."

Abrams went on to say that he didn’t want those of us invited to the event to spoil the nine minute preview by reporting a play by play, and to let fans experience it for themselves and so I will honor that.

But what I can say is that I was impressed with what I saw in two ways. Firstly this looked like nothing seen before in Trek. Most of the first nine minutes were shot with IMAX cameras and seeing that in IMAX 3D truly is extraordinary. The quality of the visual imagery was on par with The Dark Knight Rises. Also some of the shots shown used 3D to great effect. It wasn’t in your face, but it really brought you in to the strange new world presented in this opening segment. The second way this preview is like nothing scene in Trek before was the scale of the thing. Even more than the 2009 Star Trek, it is just a treat to see the universe that we love so much realized in such a grand (and expensive) way.

And the sounds are equally as impressive as the visuals. Once again the same gang of best in class sound designers (including Academy Award winner Ben Burtt) are on the case. Also the preview features all new music by Michael Giacchino (another Oscar-winner). The music at times was original for Into Darkness, but then there were also flourishes which called back to some of the musical cues and themes from 2009′s Star Trek, including when we see an exciting (and surprising) reveal of the USS Enterprise.

To get into a bit more detail, the preview was broken into two sequences, starting with a more quiet and Earthbound bit featuring Noel Clarke, Nanzeen Contractor (playing husband and wife in London). Together they are facing a crisis with their daughter. A sort of montage of moments with the family leads into into a menacing appearance by Benedict Cumberbatch who seems to be offering Clarke a sort of lifeline (which we assume has a price). While these are all new characters (as in not seen in the 2009 Star Trek), this short sequence is quite intense and emotional and really sets a tone for the film.

The rest (and majority) of the preview takes us to a very red-hued alien planet with a serious lava problem ( which we saw glimpses of in the trailer released last week). This sequence features the heroes of the USS Enterprise on a mission where they face one challenge after another all leading up to a big moment. We have Kirk and McCoy dealing with angry aliens and Spock getting very warm in a volcano with the help of Sulu and Uhura. And Scotty seems to mostly be worried about what this planet is doing to his ship. Chekov (at his station in his traditional gold shirt) is also there, offering whiz kid suggestions to his captain.

This second sequence was very exciting and full of cool visuals, new gadgets, new specialty uniforms, and lots for a Trekkie to mull over. It also feels like the opening of a James Bond film, with heart-pounding, fast-paced action. But this was not action for action’s sake. Trek fans will certainly see how this sequence deals with things which are at the heart of what Star Trek is all about. And as promised by Abrams we go from the intensity of the opening family scenes into action combined with some fun light-hearted moments very in line with Trek tradition, with Karl Urban and Simon Pegg getting the best lines.

While I expect Trek fans to come away from this preview excited about the film, I doubt fans will walk away feeling like they know the plot of the film, or the identity of the film’s villain (Cumberbatch). Abrams keeps his secrets close and this opening of the film is no different.

Here is the first still from the movie featuring John Harrison in the brig on the Enterprise.

Cumberbatch is seen in the USS Enterprise brig (not seen in the 2009 Star Trek movie)

Cumberbatch doesn’t seem all that maniacal/angry about it

They are separated by glass (like what was seen in Japanese trailer)

Cumberbatch is clearly wearing a Starfleet uniform

Ship appears to be at red alert

Many of you Brits no doubt already know this but Cumberbatch has an epic voice doing voice overs. And hearing his voice breaking during the "What would you do for your family?" bit is just..wow.

Its a safe bet that I will be seeing those first nine minutes come this weekend.

Also, am I the only one that noticed something familliar about that rifle that BC was holding in the Klingon part? Compare this image with the 2373 Starfleet phaser rifle here. Scroll down to the hand phasers section and click on the fouth image. He is holding a modified version of the adjustable model in that pic.

Atroika wrote:The images of the Enterprise appearing to have crashed into the water worries me though, nothing about that ship looks like it should ever be in the atmosphere (though I guess it was retconned in 09 to have been built on the ground..). Seems like crashing into the water like that should have ripped it apart at the nacelle pylons and the "neck"... At least the Kvort (BoP?) from IV had wings..

Clearly it is not the Big E being Darth Vader'ed(or if you prefere X-Men more Magneto'ed) into the San Fran bay. (trust my gut on this one...)
posted on December 12th, 2012, 6:46 pm
086gf wrote:and Spock getting very warm in a volcano with the help of Sulu and Uhura.

thanks that was an interesting read without spoiling anything.
posted on December 13th, 2012, 1:25 pm

I hope enterprise is ok. The trailer seems familiar to me.
posted on December 13th, 2012, 1:30 pm
I wish they'd bring back those uniforms. So much better than anything before or since, with the possible exception of the First Contact uniforms. They were pretty smart too. They actually look like uniforms rather than "Starfleet decided it was 'wear your onesie panamas to work' day ". And don't give me the usual talk about how they are too military for Starfleet. Even non-military organisations have smart uniforms. Look at Police uniforms, or Coast Guards, etc any ranked organisation has a proper standard of uniform, civilian or otherwise.
posted on December 13th, 2012, 7:41 pm
Squire James wrote:I wish they'd bring back those uniforms... And don't give me the usual talk about how they are too military for Starfleet

how about the fact everyone is wearing red? how do we know who is going to die with such a blanket choice of attire? :P
posted on December 13th, 2012, 9:40 pm
hellodean wrote:how about the fact everyone is wearing red?

Hence the term "Uniform" :P
posted on December 14th, 2012, 2:56 am
hellodean wrote:how about the fact everyone is wearing red? how do we know who is going to die with such a blanket choice of attire? :P

it had to do with the turtleneck and strap color. Like how kirk wears white (command). Red belonged to cadets, trainees, and junior officers. classic "redshirt" material there xD
posted on December 14th, 2012, 2:08 pm
Squire James wrote:Hence the term "Uniform" :P

Hence the term "Uniformly screwed"
posted on December 14th, 2012, 6:01 pm
While we are in danger of heading wildly off-topic, it makes far more sense to have almost identical uniforms differing only in insignia and a small flash of colour than to have totally different coloured uniforms. Why? Lets say you are part of a a landing party and things turn nasty. Unless your enemy is terminally stupid, or colour blind, they will clock on fairly rapidly that the guys in the nice maroon tunics are the command officers, and ergo high priority targets.

Remember, officers in the first world war started wearing Other Rank tunics, boots and puttees rather than cavalry boots and breeches, removing their insignia and putting it on the collar or shoulder not the cuff, and carrying a rifle rather than a cane and a revolver. Why? All those items marked them out as being officers, and made them certain targets for German marksmen.

So, with the redshirt rule in effect, imagine TNG, when your most valuable officers are the ones wearing red!

Anyways, regarding the teasers and such, I am not convinced that this bloke is going to be Gary Powers. Possibly an older "Charlie X" ? That'd be interesting to see.
1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11