StA2_Classic Mod: Different Questions & Modeling Mods After

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
posted on March 17th, 2013, 3:59 am
For Warp-Ins, I can't find any mods that have used it and when I download other mods, its only to play them, I don't check their files, plus any mod including FleetOps well playing them, I've never gotten the option to call in any Warp-In ships to even try it for an example.

I created a mock Warp-In ODF file from a file I downloaded from another old thread here on the forums and it was confusing but I attempted to use as an example and since my mod won't launch (which many of the questions I've been asking might finally get it to run if they are answered).

The mock Warp-In ODF file that I created I uploaded and posted its coding on Page 6 of this thread. I had posted both the coding in the file and a downloadable version of the file that I know had been viewed but no one said anything about the file if it would work or not or if I had made any mistakes with it.
Here is that file's coding again:
Code: Select all
//Display name for this weapon
wpnname = "Warpin"

//Tooltips
tooltip = "Federation Warpin"
verboseTooltip = "Warpins Federation Hero Ships for each Era. This brings in the USS Excelsior NCC 2000 under the command of Captain Hikaru Sulu."

//Special Weapon
special = 1

//Location of the button in the speed panel
buttonslot = 0

//Replacement Class
replacement0class0 = "fexcelsior"

//Replacement Event
//replacementevent = "FederationWarpinExcelsior"

//Replacement Keep Name
replacementkeepname = 1

//Replacement After Warpin
replacementafterwarpin = 1

//Programming Stuff DO NOT CHANGE
classlabel = "replaceweapon"

//Replacement Maintain Orders
replacementmaintainorders = 1

//Replacement Register As New
replacementregisterasnew = 0

//Replacement Creation Type
replacementcreationtype = 1

//Do We Speak On Attack?
speakonattack = 0

//Do We Have An Attack Speech?
attackspeech = 0

I need to know how this actually works. I've checked the guide on Warp-Ins and this is all that I've found under this section: http://guide.fleetops.net/guide/modding/fo-odf-commands/weapon/replaceweapon#warpIn
warpIn
Boolean, Default: FALSE

When set to true (1), the unit is brought from off the map to the selected location at warp speed. Currently it is hardcoded so that there may only be one warp flash effect per installation (all warp-ins will use the same specified effect).

Two hardcoded warp sound effects are also used:

warp_speed_in.wav is used for the sound a Craft makes when it warps in from off the map or when the Craft goes to warp and leaves.
warp_speed_out.wav is used for the sound a Craft makes when it slows to impulse.

warpInSpeed
Integer, Default: 400

The speed of the warp-drive of a unit called by warpIn.

Physics file entries for maximum speed are ignored while the warpIn unit is at warp speed. Note however that physics commands related to whether the Craft can move, turn, accelerate etc will impact the ability of the Craft to be warped in.
posted on March 17th, 2013, 10:38 am
Je_mezu24 wrote:@Myles: If you actually look at those "so called walls of text" you'd actually notice that most of them are either numbered questions, different inquiries, to help me figure out other important information, and/or are related to my posted bug reports. They arenot "just walls of text", they are posts to get information that I've been needing and wouldn't be posted if I have been getting clear an precise answers/information for my questions.

emphasis added by me. there's your problem, i'm not going to look at them. i make no comment on the content of all of your posts in this thread. i make comment on the fact that there is so much text. nobody wants to read it. large walls of text offend the eyes. it doesn't matter if you wrote work that rivals shakespeare's, nobody wants to read text walls. that's a face of life. 90% of my walls of text are intended for only 1 person to read (the person the wall directly talks to).

asking for modding help is one thing, you may or may not get help with a single question. but asking for modding help with walls of text in a now 8 page thread? that's too much free time for modders to give up. they want their free time for their own mods.
posted on March 17th, 2013, 11:50 am
Well then Myles stop assuming what you won't read is just long walls if text because its just that useless assumptions and I'm basically starting to get tired of how you always assume when it comes to my posts. So please if you don't understand and are just going to call them long walls of text, do us all a favor and: "Don't Reply", thank you.
posted on March 17th, 2013, 11:55 am
Je_mezu24 wrote:Well then Myles stop assuming what you won't read is just long walls if text because its just that useless assumptions and I'm basically starting to get tired of how you always assume when it comes to my posts. So please if you don't understand and are just going to call them long walls of text, do us all a favor and: "Don't Reply", thank you.

no assumptions are needed. your posts are made of text? obviously. they are long? also obviously. hence why they don't get many readers. i'm not saying anything about the content of your posts, as i said, i haven't (and won't) read them. just like many others. that's the trouble here. long posts are annoying to read. this thread is mostly meta, people talking about the thread itself instead of your questions.
posted on March 17th, 2013, 2:32 pm
Je_Mezu24 Myles is right, no one is dabating the content in your initial posts, but your post is a wall of text, it has nothing to do with the actual content. It doesnt matter if its relavent questions or not, its the fact that your questions are a mile long. And Myles is right when someone openes a thread and sees this massive page of writing, generally that means they arnt likely to read throught it. Thats just a fact of the internet, its not that they think its useless information but its almost information overload, no one wants to read a book online. Your best bet would be to make a new post with the most important questions and keep your post short and to the point, as best you can anyway.

Another thing, you say no one has helped you or answered your questions, well looking back I see several people have answered your questions to the best they can, now the issue is that if you keep posing new questions people who have already responded may not necessarily keep cheaking this thread over and over after awhile. If you have new questions you should start a new thread with those, but again try to keep it short and to the point as to not discourage people from reading it.
posted on March 17th, 2013, 8:50 pm
@Myles: At least everyone of my posts are actually easy and concise and each question is numbered. Only when you complain about walls of text are there any problems. I've made them extremely simple, it's actually better than writing many many many many posts, as in one for each question, then there would be multiple pages instead of one clear concise posting.

To you they maybe long walls if text, to me, they actually equal saved up forums/thread space and instead of each question being its own post with them all being in one post, it equals less server space taken up by the number of posts to the thread.

If you don't like it Myles, then don't say anything because pretty much I'm going to post everything I need answered or any ideas I have in one concise posting. I'm going to stick with the way I'm posting because it works for me, and the God's Honest Truth is they are extremely easy to read, any child can actually see that as well as adults in the business world.

Plus the reason why this thread keeps getting off track is because if people like you that seriously rather complain about my posting style. Instead you should respect my way of posting instead of complaining about it, I don't complain about your style, so respect mine if you want respect, after all everyone has the right to post a posting/thread the way they want to.
posted on March 17th, 2013, 10:19 pm
Je_mezu24 wrote:@Myles: At least everyone of my posts are actually easy and concise

your posts aren't concise at all.

Je_mezu24 wrote:it's actually better than writing many many many many posts, as in one for each question, then there would be multiple pages instead of one clear concise posting.

you know what's better than loads of posts? 1 post. 1 question. the simplest way to do it. threads like that get answers. multiple questions in long posts do not, making loads of threads won't work either. ask your questions over time in separate threads. consecutively, not concurrently. you're already at 8 pages, your thread is dead now. that's 8 pages that new readers won't care to deal with to join in with this thread.

Je_mezu24 wrote:it equals less server space taken up by the number of posts to the thread.

first, this isn't your server, you don't pay for the hosting. second, text posts are almost irrelevant when considering server space. hosting attachments is what runs through space. that's why there's no limit to how many threads you can start, but there are limits for attachments.

Je_mezu24 wrote:If you don't like it

this isn't about what I like, this is about what will get you answers. you've been having a tantrum about nobody answering your questions and now the chances of you getting answers in this thread are very low. it's 8 pages long and filled with your whining and our bickering. the thread is useless to you.

Je_mezu24 wrote:because pretty much I'm going to post everything I need answered or any ideas I have in one concise posting. I'm going to stick with the way I'm posting because it works for me,

you're being very obstinate, you don't want to admit that the way you've approached this is wrong, despite the fact that everyone here is disagreeing with you, the people you want the help from disagree with you, funny how you're not getting all your questions answered isn't it? but you think everyone is wrong but you, then you say...

Je_mezu24 wrote:the God's Honest Truth is they are extremely easy to read, any child can actually see that as well as adults in the business world.

everyone who disagrees with you must be dumber than a child! cool down that charm offensive, James Dean (!). asking for help from people, then openly whining and bitching about how nobody helped you, then taking a cheeky swipe at them. people will really queue up to help you now (!). Also this is not the "business world" this is the internet, this is a star trek/gaming forum. people are here in their free time, not for business.

Je_mezu24 wrote:Instead you should respect my way of posting instead of complaining about it, I don't complain about your style, so respect mine if you want respect, after all everyone has the right to post a posting/thread the way they want to.

nobody is challenging your right to make moronic posts. but you yourself have said how this thread is not accomplishing what you want it to do. we're telling you why. whether you agree with it or not, walls of text won't get you answers around here. now you can either choose to sit here and whine/sulk about how we're all complete wankers for not giving our free time to help you, or you can adapt to fit in and accept that your way isn't the way it works here. it doesn't matter how much people "respect your way of posting", you're still not gonna get any answers if you don't post the way everyone else likes.
posted on March 17th, 2013, 10:54 pm
Je_mezu24 wrote:For Warp-Ins, I can't find any mods that have used it and when I download other mods, its only to play them, I don't check their files, plus any mod including FleetOps well playing them, I've never gotten the option to call in any Warp-In ships to even try it for an example.

I created a mock Warp-In ODF file from a file I downloaded from another old thread here on the forums and it was confusing but I attempted to use as an example and since my mod won't launch (which many of the questions I've been asking might finally get it to run if they are answered).

I found 2 warp in mods on the first page alone under forum/fleet operations/modifications/completed mods. I bet if you look at their files it'll pretty much lay out how you need to do yours? As I stated before no one is going to do it for you and you'll have to be a little more resourceful. Dig into a mod, check all it's files and see how it was done. I have so many mods of ships/stations/total conversions on my pc that I use/used to make my personal mod. I don't know much about modding but I wouldn't know half of it if not for getting my hands dirty looking at others' work.

Some more advice is that firstly you need to get your mod working so honestly I would really not worry at the moment about warp ins and research and fighters and ideas. In my opinion you should focus on getting your mod even working then once it is you can add in the ideas and other stuff that you want to add. Is the error you get repeatable/identical every time or is it different? You may only have one thing causing the error or it could be many. As I said earlier no one knows "exactly" what is causing the error because no on knows exactly what you did to put your mod together.

Myles and Equinox are trying to give you advice, but you are so combative. Stop taking it as an attack against you and listen to what they are suggesting in a constructive way. In all honesty unless someone is even remotely interested to begin with after a paragraph of reading one of your posts a person loses interest and just moves on to something else. (I must be a masochist? LOL) Dominus, Myles, Equinox, Squire James and myself have all offered you help, advice, ideas on the exact same subject to help you post better. Surely there must be an ounce of truth in all these posts somewhere?

So, since you got the error report and can't launch you mod what have you done to try and get it working? Have you tried anything besides waiting for someone to tell you what the bug report says? Have you dug into your mod to find out what's wrong or have you just been trying to add more things/ideas in the mean time?
posted on March 18th, 2013, 1:35 am
@Myles: You still don't understand and clearly wint ever understand the method to how I post yet they are clear and precise, all my questions were on the first page and yet I only got small cryptic answers that didn't help at all. If anyone actually answered those questions, there wouldn't have been any extra posting because each one if those original questions were the minimal amount if text needed to actually ask them. Furthermore, I tried posting one question at a time and they too never answered so I've posted them in the firm and context that is clear and precise that wouldn't waste my precise and important time, I have other important things to do in life and posting all my questions at once also makes things that I have to get done a lot more simplistic so I'll say it again, I will post them in the form that is best for my busy day. Don't like it, no one says you have to reply Myles, and I've also told you that more than once, if anything, no matter what thread I post in, you are the only one who has a problem with anything I write and franckly I'm getting very tired of it. So PLEASE stop harassing me about the way I post my questions, thank you. I've already tried to ignore your posts and there is no option on these forums to do such a thing to stop you from replying to any if my posts.

@rifraf: I don't look at or choose to download any of the mods that have threads in the mods section on the forums especially if they don't interest me. And I don't download mods just to look at their files, that is a waste if my valuable time and I don't do things that waste my time (like I post all my questions at once, it takes care of matters that actually gets my posts done and my questions asked on a timeframe that works for me.) Not everyone has time to waste to go hunting for every mod in the mods section and download them just to look through their files. In fact I've at least linked to mods that I was interested in but they either seem to be dead or still being worked on, but yet again no one has even answered my inquiries on those mods.

Why I need to worry about Warp-Ins, Fighters, and other research type things are because they seem to be partially related to why my mod isn't working inside FleetOps because as I've said many times before, my mod works in a stock A2 setting. If these settings/codings would work inside FleetOps, then I wouldn't have any problems and wouldn't be asking about all these questions. I even have a research way that brings in the ships that are to be Warped In through FleetOps. Even though these are working in A2, they could be part of the reasons they aren't in FleetOps. I wouldn't be looking to fix them if I had any doubt they weren't/aren't part of the problem, but I tried them in the STA2_Classic Mod with problems resulting, so some ideas working in stock A2 don't work in FleetOps and some vice versa.

Every time I get bug reports for any crash, they are different, especially in the stackdump section for the exact same crash, normally you'd think they'd be the same but minor parts keep changing in that section. Other times, the part that generates freezes up and doesn't respond to give me a bug report.

I really didn't use anything special in my mod or did anything special except what the Patch Project 1.2.5 Patch allows a stock A2 mod to do. Some of which is upgraded in FleetOps, This includes part of my way if creating Warp-Ins in stick A2, and launching my fighters and shuttle pods; all things that have been changed and upgraded in FleetOps.

Myles and Equinox aren't giving me advice, they are attacking my way if posting, they act like everyone has to do it their way it its the wrong way of posting. I have my own posting style that works for me and makes my life and daily activities easier for I'm not really on here all day or that long to really post different questions, thus I post all of them at once since it is easier. That is why I number them (or number them with letters if they have multiple parts) so if someone knows the answer to a given question they can quote that question or just use its number with an answer. I've used this same style with teenagers in my Christian Youth Group and if they can do it, so can people here (and these are middle school - high school age teenagers). If its simple there and works with teens then it should work here. (Plus I never came up with this idea, some of the other Youth Group Leaders use it to great effectiveness.)

I have a right to post in a form/way that is easier and best working for me and I'm using it. How hard is it for anyone to honestly understand that? It is those complaining about my posting style that is causing this thread to get off track and have major problems, and so many times I've asked all of those complaining about my posting style to stop it, they still continue to do so, well grow up and let it go.

I've been trying different changes and searching the STA2_Classic Mod to find what is causing problems. Yet I don't know what stick files govern what so comparing files between the STA2_Classic Mod, a stock game that's just that stock and my mod aren't exactly helpful. I can't even figure out what file tells the game to use the PNG files for the Bitmaps so I can change that file back to directly use the BMP files instead if the PNG files that the STA2_Classic Mod uses and inadvertently gave my mod. Thus why I've asked about what main directory files were changed in the STA2_Classic Mod because it has to be a file there yet I can't figure out what file it could be. Thus for every question I've asked, there is an important reason why I've asked it since the beginning of this thread.

Also Rifraf, if said this more than once all ready, I'm not adding anything to my mod right now except the stock A2 version, the FleetOps version has no new additions since well before February 11, 2013, the first day I created this thread. Only thing I've worked on for the FleetOps version of my mod is ODF edits and the AI files, nothing else, and nothing game breaking since they work in the stock version of the mod.
I know not to edit anything in a mod when its not working after all.
posted on March 18th, 2013, 2:37 am
Je_mezu24 wrote: @rifraf: I don't look at or choose to download any of the mods that have threads in the mods section on the forums especially if they don't interest me. And I don't download mods just to look at their files, that is a waste if my valuable time and I don't do things that waste my time (like I post all my questions at once, it takes care of matters that actually gets my posts done and my questions asked on a timeframe that works for me.) Not everyone has time to waste to go hunting for every mod in the mods section and download them just to look through their files. In fact I've at least linked to mods that I was interested in but they either seem to be dead or still being worked on, but yet again no one has even answered my inquiries on those mods.

That's really great Je_mezu. I'm sure it'll come as a comfort to all modders out there to know that they've "wasted" their precious time looking at and working with other mods, learning how they are put together and how they work in game when all they had to do was just jump in and figure it out on their own like you. I'm happy to have "wasted" all my time these last few years, it paid off in that I can play and enjoy my personal mod inside Fleet Ops.

Your methods of modding and posting clearly are superior to mine and I do thank you for pointing out that there is one thing I have been wasting my time on. I wish you the best of luck with your mod. I'm sure someone will get it working for you since you're pretty busy.
posted on March 18th, 2013, 3:03 am
@rifraf: You're not getting what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it is a waste of your guys time, if you so much as want to do such a thing and browse through every mod that they (you and others) can get your hands on. What I'm saying is that I don't have time to do that, I have things to do for Youth Ministry, school assignment for that and also work. That also includes gathering Bible verses for lessons on Sundays. There is just to much that I have to do that I can't browse for mods to learn from them so if I see a mods name or a thread for a mod catches my eye, then I'll check it out. Such mods are the ones I've mentioned in this thread or SquireJames' KA2:EaW Mod and the STA2_Classic Mod, or Adm. Zaxxon's Star Wars Mod. What I'm saying may only apply to me right now or has been the case for others, circumstances for everyone might an can be different.

Any mod that I've ever played if it has Warp-Ins, I have never been given the option to use them and haven't even figured if such things have build buttons for because not in regular (unmodded) FleetOps have I ever gotten any Warp-Ins.
posted on March 18th, 2013, 3:05 am
Plus, how come you only mentioned that there are two mods in the completed mods section of the forms yet you didn't give any names or even a link? That would have been nice and helpful.
posted on March 18th, 2013, 4:36 am
Bless your heart. Have you ever played Fleet Ops? As the Feds, if you build the Starfleet Headquarters building I believe it is, it gives you access to warp-ins though I don't recall if you have to do research as well or not?

There are actually 3 warp-in mods on that first page in the completed mods section. Now I'm almost sure I don't have to hold your hand and show them to you? Especially since "warp-in" is in the actual title of each thread. Just in case you are completely lost there is a TMP warp-in pack, a Federation warp-in mod and a Ferengi Marauder warp-in mod.
posted on March 18th, 2013, 6:56 am
I happened to check those mods and they still use a file close to the one I created as a mock file, except, none of those files explain how Warp-Ins actually work and afkeetOps isn't going me the options to ever call any warp in ship even playing as the Federation, the A keeps targeting my important stations and the only time I went online, I was taken advantage of being new and outright slaughtered I never even got to get used to the game and that combined with FleetOps lagging made matters worse.

Because of the confusion with those files and no information in the guide (well the term "Warp-In" or "Warp In" didn't turn up any of information) isn't making it easier. I actually checked those mods before posting my questions regarding Warp-Ins, I did all outside research here on the forums and through the guide before I did. I actually thought you were talking about different mods but after rechecking, I see I was mistaken and that you did refer to the mods I did check. They didn't help because they reference something's that don't make sense plus I don't want to replace any of the ships in my mod for a Warp-In, every ship is important in my mod (even if its a ship of the same class, such a thing sounds like its going to affect the FleetCap and I don't mean in a good way).

Plus I found these ODF files in the ODF.fpq file/program that are titled:
fed_warpin.odf

fed_effectsS.odf

I saved these ODF files to figure out how they work but the information, especially with how they just reference more ODF files.
I'm actually attaching a .zip file of all the Warp-In ODF files that I don't understand especially how they reference other ODF files, this attachment also includes my "Warp-In File entitled:
warpin_Excel.odf

All I need is a simplistic Warp-In for all the ships that are to be the ones I want to be warped in. FleetOps and the mods that use/have Warp-Ins make use of a non-simplistic form that makes the use of Warp-Ins confusing.
Warp-In ODF Files.zip
Warp-In ODF Files that I'm confused about...
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 281 times

Of course when I need a Dev or someone who seriously understands Warp-Ins I don't get any important information, instead I'm told to check FleetOps ODF files and try it in FleetOps well playing it but I haven't gotten that option/ability in game as I've said.
posted on March 18th, 2013, 10:21 am
Je_mezu24 wrote:@Myles: You still don't understand and clearly wint ever understand the method to how I post yet they are clear and precise, all my questions were on the first page and yet I only got small cryptic answers that didn't help at all. If anyone actually answered those questions, there wouldn't have been any extra posting because each one if those original questions were the minimal amount if text needed to actually ask them. Furthermore, I tried posting one question at a time and they too never answered so I've posted them in the firm and context that is clear and precise that wouldn't waste my precise and important time, I have other important things to do in life and posting all my questions at once also makes things that I have to get done a lot more simplistic so I'll say it again, I will post them in the form that is best for my busy day. Don't like it, no one says you have to reply Myles, and I've also told you that more than once, if anything, no matter what thread I post in, you are the only one who has a problem with anything I write and franckly I'm getting very tired of it. So PLEASE stop harassing me about the way I post my questions, thank you. I've already tried to ignore your posts and there is no option on these forums to do such a thing to stop you from replying to any if my posts.

i understand the way you post, i'm telling you that it's not going to work here.

your posts aren't concise at all. your first post in this thread is over 1200 words long and contains more questions than i was bothered to count. this is too much. you are welcome to continue to post 1200 word posts, and you will still receive NO ANSWERS. you're the one whining about how everyone is being mean to you by not spending our free time teaching you to mod. it's clear that your posts are failing, you admit that your thread is not getting the answers you want. so maybe it's not everyone else that is wrong, maybe it's just you. so either take the advice that everyone in this thread is giving you, or stop whining that nobody is doing what you want.

you don't want to waste your "precious and important time", you have a "busy day"? guess what, so do the people you want help from. they don't want to jump into an 8 page thread full of posts that have 1200 words, all in their free time. if you want people to help you, then you're gonna have to make it easier on them. right now you seem to think you deserve something from this community, that you have some entitlement. that's arrogant, you're entitled to nothing at all.

also if you want to ignore my posts, feel free to use your ignore list. there is no feature to stop people replying to your posts because that is censorship. if you don't want to give people the right to criticise what you say, don't say it. that's a core idea of free speech, anyone can say what they want, including criticising what others say. You want a place where nobody is allowed to disagree with you? too bad.
1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9