Star Trek Armada II Import

1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
posted on January 10th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Rifraf, in theory yes. In practice, you will find a few things work a little differently in FleetOps, and before you even get it working you might have some CTDs due to sprite errors.

One thing that I found "missing" was selection bubbles and the sort. For an example of stuff working differently, I originally had shield recharge delay set to 0, so that they would start recharging the moment they were hit (as they recharge so slowly in my mod anyway). In A2 this works fine. In the FleetOps engine, it causes a rather odd graphical glitch where by ships with no shields always display a shield hit animation when hit. Something to do with the way weapons fire is treated in FleetOps.

Minor things, but you can't expect it to work flawlessly is what I'm saying :) It'll take some playtesting and some tweaking. Plus lets face it, FleetOps can do far more things than A2 can, so chances are you'll want to edit your mod to take advantage of some of those changes anyway.
posted on July 31st, 2013, 2:31 am
Sorry to resurrect, but I wanted to keep this in the same recognizable thread. With V4 of FO coming out in the future I thought I recall talk of bringing over the A2 Classic mod again and cleaning it up and such. I don't know if you can play the Classic mod as a mod in FO online, but not worrying about online compatibility has anyone who will do the work (Blade again or whoever) considered using like the Armada 2 Upgrade Project in it's place and just change what you need to make it compatible if Freyr gave permission?

On another note I'm rebuilding my personal mod from scratch and will first have the base A2 game completely visually updated using Midnite Universe as a base and changing out every ship/station to something better using community mods. If I can secure a few miscellaneous permissions would whoever is handling this like to use it as the base for the next A2 Classic Mod if one is going to be put together? I'm doing it for myself anyway so thought I'd inquire.

Lastly, is there a specific forum or person to send a request to like to use a FO texture?

Thanks all
posted on January 14th, 2014, 3:15 pm
I'm back. I've gone over some of the files in this mod and have found the following bugs:

• RTS_CFG.h mismatch from stock A2 (taking into account the new FO variables).
  • ART_CFG.h mismatch from stock A2 (no new FO variables in that file)
  • label.map mismatch from stock A2 (taking into account the new FO variables).
  • Assault Wall and Lines formations do not work properly.
  • AI are unusually slow to climb the techtree past the shipyard.

I have made a fix for the first four items and with Blade's permission, I would like to release version 2.1 of this mod with these fixes.

I think it has something to do with the FO settings that the AI don't climb the techtree as fast as they do in stock A2. And since I don't know how to get settings to work on a per-mod basis, I don't know how to fix that.

rifraf wrote:Sorry to resurrect, but I wanted to keep this in the same recognizable thread. With V4 of FO coming out in the future I thought I recall talk of bringing over the A2 Classic mod again and cleaning it up and such. I don't know if you can play the Classic mod as a mod in FO online, but not worrying about online compatibility has anyone who will do the work (Blade again or whoever) considered using like the Armada 2 Upgrade Project in it's place and just change what you need to make it compatible if Freyr gave permission?

You can play the STA2 Classic mod online without any compatibility issues with FO provided everyone has the same version of the mod. As mentioned above, I already have a fix ready for release.

I don't know about this "Upgrade Project" though so I can't comment on that.

rifraf wrote:On another note I'm rebuilding my personal mod from scratch and will first have the base A2 game completely visually updated using Midnite Universe as a base and changing out every ship/station to something better using community mods. If I can secure a few miscellaneous permissions would whoever is handling this like to use it as the base for the next A2 Classic Mod if one is going to be put together? I'm doing it for myself anyway so thought I'd inquire.

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any problems with a mod that replaces the textures and models so long as it's given it's own mod directory and parented to the STA2 Classic mod and the models have the hardpoints in the same positions as the original. There also shouldn't be any problems with a graphics enhancement mod being used as a base for other mods. The hierarchy should look something like this:

"STA2 Classic -> Graphics Enhancement -> Your Mod"

rifraf wrote:Lastly, is there a specific forum or person to send a request to like to use a FO texture?

There is no specific forum dedicated to this mod as far as I know. Perhaps I could host the official STA2 Classic forum on my website's forums [http://forums.chapmancreationmissions.com/]. As for using a FO texture in your graphics enhancement mod (unless I misinterpreted your post), you should ask the FO developers.

Blade wrote:@TChapman500 what are the other glitches so i can fix the download

Sorry I'm so late responding to this one. I've been gone quite a while. I listed the glitches at the top of the post.
posted on January 14th, 2014, 5:45 pm
Hi Tchapman. Glad to see someone still working on fixes for the original Classic Mod. Not sure if you know, but last month I released a completely updated version. The thread is in the STA2 Classic 2013 Edition thread if you'd like to check it out. Would you perhaps share the fixes you've made so I can add them to the new edition as well?
posted on January 14th, 2014, 6:14 pm
I've seen the thread for the 2013 edition. I'll be reading that thread to get up to speed on what's going on. I'll also be trying it out.

Some bugs that I forgot to mention are:

• AI always go for the objects with the most resources instead of the closest resources.
  • User Interface doesn't seem to cover all of the options that are shown (unconfirmed).

The bugs fixed are:
  • RTS_CFG mismatch has been fixed except where necessary for the FO engine enhancements.
  • ART_CFG mismatch has been fixed.
  • label.map mismatch has been fixed except where necessary for the FO engine enhancements.
  • Assault Wall formation now works properly using a 6-wide by 5-high formation.
  • Lines formation now works properly using a 6-long by 5-high formation.

Attachments

STA2 Classic Patch.zip
Bug fixes for STA2 Classic. (Changes the version from 1.2b to 1.2c)

Unzip directly into your "<Fleet Ops>/Data/Mods/STA2 Classic" directory.
(19.71 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
posted on January 14th, 2014, 9:05 pm
Found another bug. AI build at object with most abundant resource. I fixed it and will post the fix soon.
posted on January 16th, 2014, 8:07 pm
I found a couple more bugs. This time it has something to do with the map selection screen. I'm working on a fix for that. Also, I'll update the first post with a list of bugs.
posted on January 19th, 2014, 10:13 pm
Vesion 1.2d released. Comes as a complete install. See first post for download link.

PS: Can this thread be moved to "Completed Mods"?
posted on March 31st, 2014, 1:55 pm
Dominus_Noctis wrote:The actual hotkey is V - This allows you to open up the (currently invisible) trading menu for CargoShips and TradingStations.

In the next patch this has been fixed. :)

Hello,

Now it's known that FleetOPS 4.0 might never get released. Would you have any future plan to backport or merge the finished fixes/patches to FleetOPS 3.x so that the Classic mods can benefit better compatibility?
posted on March 31st, 2014, 7:59 pm
what ui elements are missing?
posted on April 1st, 2014, 2:21 am
I don't want to speak for anyone, but all I can think of are the broken save games through the menu at least, the broken trade menu and the broken recycling of ships/stations. I know there are workarounds for each, but I can't think of anything else?
posted on April 1st, 2014, 9:33 am
@yochenhieh
Aren't you being a little presumptuous? I'm more worried about converting it over to FO-NX than about NX never being released.
Oops: Misunderstood what you were saying. Sorry. It might be possible for us to get one more version of STA2 Classic out before NX is released. But it'll require a lot of coordination between Blade and I.

@Blade
I'll have to get back to you on that one, but they all have to do with additional elements being needed because of the FO enhancements.

@rifraf
I haven't noticed any of that (yet).
posted on April 1st, 2014, 10:16 am
ok its just that im sure in my classic a2 mod all thee calssic ui features were readded so bit supprised there
posted on April 1st, 2014, 12:18 pm
Blade wrote:ok its just that im sure in my classic a2 mod all thee calssic ui features were readded so bit supprised there

I'm quite sure that the trade menu icon is missing when you select a cargo ship. Press V and you can still access it, though.
posted on April 1st, 2014, 1:13 pm
Okay, here's what I've collected so far with the UI elements:

Map selection screen in Instant Action/Multiplayer needs to be resized (I've been working on that a little).
Map selection screen for Map Editor UI elements need tweaking.
Multiplayer Connection Type screen needs the buttons to be resized.
Advanced Options in Instant Action/Multiplayer needs its own sliders.
Modifications Settings Screen UI elements need tweaking.
Sound Options screen needs its own sliders.
Graphics Settings screen needs its own sliders.
Planet resource and research bars need to be separated from one another.

And as yochenhsieh already mentioned, the cargo ship trade button needs to be added. But that's only missing because of the FO enhancements which did not utilize trading.
1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21