Star Trek vs Star Wars

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on November 10th, 2013, 3:09 pm
Supergaco wrote: Then you have parts of both shows that are factually incorrect.

All sci-fi franchises do things along the lines of what you've cited, out of necessity for the plot, the setting, from ignorance, or simply to add drama.
posted on November 10th, 2013, 3:18 pm
I like Star Trek, but I'm grew up watching Star Wars, my favorite ship is the Millennium Falcon and I always wish it to have my own lightsaber. So, I'm building lightsabers right now for my own fun :-)
I love Star Wars. I read a lot of forums on the net, where peoples builds weapons and costumes like the ones from Star Wars. I don't know about peoples who builds stuff from Star Trek.
I found a boy, who actually build a phaser from Star Trek, using that toy gun and the laser parts from the high quality of dvd reader. And the results was amazing. But, I prefer a lightsaber :_)

The ships from the Star Trek Universe are more advanced than the ships from the Star Wars Universe. Take for example the Federation ships. The experimental starship Enterprise NX-01 can achieve warp speed of 5.

Warp speed 1 is equal to the speed of light. The speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s

The ships from the Star Wars Universe can travel only at the speed of light. The fastest ship was only the Millennium Falcon that made the Kessel Run in "less than twelve parsecs". ( 1 parsec it is equal to 3.26 light-years)

Maybe the Star Wars ships has more fire power or something, but the ships from Star Trek are more faster.

There are always two sides who will fight against each other, Star Wars Vs Star Trek.

I do not think that will ever arise the Federation of the Planets, but it's sure that there will exist smugglers and pirates who will try to survive on different planets. And there will be different size and types of spaceships from different nations traveling in the deep space to reach another planets.
The life from Star Wars it's much more realistic as that from Star Trek.

Make the Force to be with you :-)
posted on November 10th, 2013, 5:45 pm
miklosgo wrote:I like Star Trek, but I'm grew up watching Star Wars, my favorite ship is the Millennium Falcon and I always wish it to have my own lightsaber. So, I'm building lightsabers right now for my own fun :-)
I love Star Wars. I read a lot of forums on the net, where peoples builds weapons and costumes like the ones from Star Wars. I don't know about peoples who builds stuff from Star Trek.
I found a boy, who actually build a phaser from Star Trek, using that toy gun and the laser parts from the high quality of dvd reader. And the results was amazing. But, I prefer a lightsaber :_)

The ships from the Star Trek Universe are more advanced than the ships from the Star Wars Universe. Take for example the Federation ships. The experimental starship Enterprise NX-01 can achieve warp speed of 5.

Warp speed 1 is equal to the speed of light. The speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s

The ships from the Star Wars Universe can travel only at the speed of light. The fastest ship was only the Millennium Falcon that made the Kessel Run in "less than twelve parsecs". ( 1 parsec it is equal to 3.26 light-years)

Maybe the Star Wars ships has more fire power or something, but the ships from Star Trek are more faster.

There are always two sides who will fight against each other, Star Wars Vs Star Trek.

I do not think that will ever arise the Federation of the Planets, but it's sure that there will exist smugglers and pirates who will try to survive on different planets. And there will be different size and types of spaceships from different nations traveling in the deep space to reach another planets.
The life from Star Wars it's much more realistic as that from Star Trek.

Make the Force to be with you :-)

You are forgetting about hyperspace.
posted on November 10th, 2013, 10:18 pm
miklosgo wrote:The ships from the Star Wars Universe can travel only at the speed of light.

Erm, surely not.

So how come dozens of years did not pass between scenes? In Episode IV, we went from Tattooine, to Alderaan, to Yavin. Even if those systems were each as close to each other as the Sun is to it's closest neighbours, that's more than 8 years of elapsed time in hyperspace.

And all the jumping from system to system in the prequel films, that I lose track of... the whole 6 films would last for centuries.

Hyperspace travel MUST be faster than the speed of light.
posted on November 10th, 2013, 11:31 pm
I'm pretty sure Solo's boast about the Falcons abilities included the words 'past lightspeed' when mentioning how fast it goes, so FTL engines seem to confirmed right at the start (aside from traveling at the speed of plot, of course).
posted on November 11th, 2013, 8:01 pm
Tyler wrote:I'm pretty sure Solo's boast about the Falcons abilities included the words 'past lightspeed' when mentioning how fast it goes, so FTL engines seem to confirmed right at the start

I believe his words preceding "past lightspeed" were "point five"... no?

I have always wondered if that meant 1.5c or if the ".5" was a much larger interval beyond the speed of light. At least Star Trek's speed conventions make some scientific sense and have a rationale behind them. Not that Star Wars needs to... it is much more Science Fantasy than Science Fiction, so people just accept it for what it is and enjoy the universe.

Star Trek on the other hand is much more relatable to humanity in that it takes place in our own galaxy, with Earth as a focal point, and therefore needs to make a little more sense. Plus, one of Star Trek's foundations is scientific accuracy. The same cannot be expected of Star Wars.
posted on November 11th, 2013, 8:16 pm
I remember the 'point 5' part, though there's not many ways to interpret the second part. 1.5 times lightspeed is still FTL.
posted on November 11th, 2013, 8:29 pm
Tyler wrote:I remember the 'point 5' part, though there's not many ways to interpret the second part. 1.5 times lightspeed is still FTL.

Yes... my point was only that, if one wanted to get technical about it, Atlantis is probably right. Even though 1.5c is faster-than-light, in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to Star Trek warp drive, it really is not very fast at all. It would take years for them to get places in Star Wars.

But as I said before, and as you essentially stated, it doesn't matter (speed of plot). They wrote it that way and it works.
posted on November 11th, 2013, 9:01 pm
I can't remember wear I read it (probably some techinical journal) but Star Wars works on class of hyperdrives with the lower number being faster. A military ship would have a class 1 hyperdrive while a civilian would have a class 2.
posted on November 11th, 2013, 9:10 pm
LHoffman wrote:
Tyler wrote:I remember the 'point 5' part, though there's not many ways to interpret the second part. 1.5 times lightspeed is still FTL.

Yes... my point was only that, if one wanted to get technical about it, Atlantis is probably right. Even though 1.5c is faster-than-light, in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to Star Trek warp drive, it really is not very fast at all. It would take years for them to get places in Star Wars.

But as I said before, and as you essentially stated, it doesn't matter (speed of plot). They wrote it that way and it works.

Indeed, it is pretty slow. Though it does show that they're not limited to just lightspeed, which is the claim me and
Atlantis disagreed with.

nathanj wrote:I can't remember wear I read it (probably some techinical journal) but Star Wars works on class of hyperdrives with the lower number being faster. A military ship would have a class 1 hyperdrive while a civilian would have a class 2.

I can buy the idea of the Military having better stuff in general, considering how the Empire ran things.
posted on November 11th, 2013, 9:23 pm
nathanj wrote:I can't remember wear I read it (probably some techinical journal) but Star Wars works on class of hyperdrives with the lower number being faster. A military ship would have a class 1 hyperdrive while a civilian would have a class 2.

I believe this standard is pretty much everywhere in the literature and technology/ship books. Speaking of which, I have both the original Guides to Tech and Ships. The hyperdrive numbering convention is used there, if not completely explained.

You are correct though; lower numbers are faster. The Millennium Falcon has a class 0.5 hyperdrive or something like that, which is supposedly one of the fastest. Much faster than most Imperial military vessels.
posted on November 11th, 2013, 9:25 pm
In some idle moments I've wondered if it would be possible to interpret "point five beyond light speed" as a power equation; that is, speed would be

v = c ^ (1 + f)

Where

v is the calculated speed
c is the speed of light
f is the factor that the ship goes beyond light speed

That would put the Falcon's speed at around 17,314c, or about warp 25 in the TOS scale. This speed would complete Voyager's journey home (70,000 light years, if I remember correctly) in around 4 years; in other words, able to cruise around 18 times the speed that Voyager was able to.
posted on November 11th, 2013, 9:50 pm
Last edited by LHoffman on November 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadHatter wrote:In some idle moments I've wondered if it would be possible to interpret "point five beyond light
That would put the Falcon's speed at around 17,314c, or about warp 25 in the TOS scale. This speed would complete Voyager's journey home (70,000 light years, if I remember correctly) in around 4 years; in other words, able to cruise around 18 times the speed that Voyager was able to.

It is worth noting in these musings that Star Wars ships seem to be able to traverse the breadth of their entire galaxy very quickly (i.e. going from Outer Rim Tatooine to Core World Coruscant in hours or maybe a day or two - see map).

Many of you are probably familiar with the (I assume) canon Star Trek map from the Star Trek: Star Charts book? The vast majority of all Star Trek that we see in TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT take place in an area only a few thousand lightyears in diameter... an extremely small portion of our 100,000 lightyear wide Milky Way galaxy (see map).

If we were to assume that the two galaxies are of similar size (a rather arbitrary assumption), then it still should not be plausible that the Millennium Falcon, or any other Star Wars ship, can make it from the outer rim of the galaxy to the center within the time frame of a film, in which clearly very little time has passed. It should take about 4 years based on Mad Hatter's calc. But again, that is assuming our galaxies are of similar size, which we have no basis to do.

Either the Star Wars galaxy is very small compared to the Milky Way (Star Trek) or their ships are tremendously faster. Since I personally believe that Star Wars ships travel slower, the Star Wars galaxy must be smaller. But I tend not to think about it too much, because it is science fantasy, so I try telling myself that it doesn't have to make sense.

Attachments

star-trek-map.jpeg
Star Trek Galaxy (local area)
star-trek-map.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 2235 times
star-wars-galaxy-map.jpg
Star Wars Galaxy (whole)
star-wars-galaxy-map.jpg (659.2 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
posted on November 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm
oops, you gave the images the wrong names :P

i think its impossible to properly compare the 2 universes since both have errors in their canon descriptions of things (which is then back peddled by writers to try and make sense later on)

how many decks does the enterprise E have in first contact?

at the end of the day writers will always make errors in franchises, so we can discuss and argue about them for eternity! :lol:
posted on November 11th, 2013, 10:03 pm
hellodean wrote:oops, you gave the images the wrong names :P

Whoops, yeah, my bad. Fixed.

hellodean wrote:how many decks does the enterprise E have in first contact?

True... and how many were there in Nemesis? That is the real question.

hellodean wrote:at the end of the day writers will always make errors in franchises, so we can discuss and argue about them for eternity! :lol:

All the more fun. At least it is an interesting argument. Some of us can be opinionated though. ;)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5