Birth of the Federation

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on August 31st, 2010, 2:25 pm
Yeah.  I'd honestly like to see a similar game, but where the factions economies are based upon the faction, not so generic.  To use BoTF's factions as an example...

Federation - Resources and technology are the pure limiters.  logistics and supply rather than an economy like we tend to think of it.

Klingons - What can you take?  A semi-standard economy, but a touch ineffecient.  However, the ability to seize/strip resources from other people's ships and worlds that you capture/raid.

Romulans - Rather standard economy, but able to boost it for a time at the cost of morale.  (Your goods are being taken in the name of the Praetor.  Thank you for your loyal service to the Empire.)

Cardassians - Mostly standard, a weaker version of the romulan confiscation (higher morale loss) and a powerful ability to strip-mine conquered worlds.

Ferengi - Money.  Pure and simple, money.  Able to boost by maintaining peaceful contact with other races (minor or major...the more races, the more of a boost).  War is good for business, so long as you aren't the one at war.

That kind of diversification would serve to highlight the differences in the powers that be.  And let it carry completely over to diplomacy as well.  Where the Klingon version is intimidation and bluster, the Romulan version is deception, subversion, and intimidation, the Ferengi just bribe you or haggle, the Cardassians attempt to impress, and the Federation is pure negotiation and good intentions.

Nothing in BoTF felt as wrong as offering bribes as the Feds.
posted on August 31st, 2010, 2:27 pm
Very true, money is a bit op, however there are alot of other factors that will affect how the computer reacts to you. Example if you subjugate a minor race and youve met the federation they will do everything they can to liberate that race, so if youre the klingons who do alot of that sort of thing, conflict is pretty much inevitable.
posted on August 31st, 2010, 3:00 pm
somehow the diplmacy feels a bit like buying friends, hope there will someday a modder who can change that.
posted on September 1st, 2010, 2:03 am
Brother Gabriel wrote:somehow the diplmacy feels a bit like buying friends, hope there will someday a modder who can change that.

Isnt that how it is in real life?  :whistling:
Truth be told thats alot of how diplomacy works, you have alot of money you can buy alot of friends.
posted on September 1st, 2010, 8:32 am
silent93 wrote:Yeah.  I'd honestly like to see a similar game, but where the factions economies are based upon the faction, not so generic.  To use BoTF's factions as an example...

Federation - Resources and technology are the pure limiters.  logistics and supply rather than an economy like we tend to think of it.

Klingons - What can you take?  A semi-standard economy, but a touch ineffecient.  However, the ability to seize/strip resources from other people's ships and worlds that you capture/raid.

Romulans - Rather standard economy, but able to boost it for a time at the cost of morale.  (Your goods are being taken in the name of the Praetor.  Thank you for your loyal service to the Empire.)

Cardassians - Mostly standard, a weaker version of the romulan confiscation (higher morale loss) and a powerful ability to strip-mine conquered worlds.

Ferengi - Money.  Pure and simple, money.  Able to boost by maintaining peaceful contact with other races (minor or major...the more races, the more of a boost).  War is good for business, so long as you aren't the one at war.

That kind of diversification would serve to highlight the differences in the powers that be.  And let it carry completely over to diplomacy as well.  Where the Klingon version is intimidation and bluster, the Romulan version is deception, subversion, and intimidation, the Ferengi just bribe you or haggle, the Cardassians attempt to impress, and the Federation is pure negotiation and good intentions.

Nothing in BoTF felt as wrong as offering bribes as the Feds.

Yeah, I also thought about things like that, whenever playing botf.
In DS9 we got to know that klingons still have money, but I would think that one could have an honor ressource for them, too. If your honor increases, prices decrease because your house has much influence on politics. if you are too wealthy, other houses will try to fight you though :). Sth. like that, I'd still like to see an honor ressource in FO some day  :D.
Cardys could have many things to exploit races and ressources, the working camp in botf is a nice start.

If you think about it: if botf weren't set specifically in the TNG area, the Ferengi would have never made it to one of the larger races. The Dominion or the Borg are much more important.
posted on September 1st, 2010, 3:36 pm
Equinox1701e wrote:Isnt that how it is in real life?  :whistling:

how much money do you have ? :woot:
posted on September 2nd, 2010, 1:41 am
Brother Gabriel wrote:how much money do you have ? :woot:

Not enough  :(
posted on September 21st, 2010, 6:35 pm
i love the game, but somehow it seems to randomly crash, and I dont mean occasionally but regularly to the point of annoying.

I installed with the winxp fix
posted on October 17th, 2010, 6:28 am
It seems like the fan remakes, Birth of the Empires and Supremacy, are both getting cold.  Too bad, would be great if there were a group to do for BOTF what Fleet Ops has done for Armada II.
posted on November 13th, 2010, 3:27 am
So is there a fix for the memory leak? I cant run the came for more the 15 or 20 min. after that the game slows down to the porint it is no longer playable. I dont care so much about mods but a fix! let me know if there is one!!!
posted on November 13th, 2010, 9:18 am
mike86812 wrote:So is there a fix for the memory leak? I cant run the came for more the 15 or 20 min. after that the game slows down to the porint it is no longer playable. I dont care so much about mods but a fix! let me know if there is one!!!

As i said, just update to the newest version (official patch) then search for the winxp patch (fan patch) and it works fine...at least on this end....

altho lately in windows 7 it crashes alot to the part of it being anoying
posted on November 14th, 2010, 2:31 am
I will have to give that a try I am pretty good at BToF its just the time lag always makes me insane.
posted on November 15th, 2010, 6:15 am
I downloaded winxp patch but it doesnt really help. by the 300th turn the games still moves slow. Any ideas?
posted on June 6th, 2011, 12:12 am
Small bump... anyone still playing BotF?

And any news on the memory leak, or suggestions? I would be happy if it just appears in round 300, atm im already getting seriously annoyed in round 100-150 (including Dom Mod)
posted on June 6th, 2011, 1:49 pm
Last edited by Zulnak on June 6th, 2011, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I play BotF: UDM (Ultimate Dominion mod III 3.0.1a) a long while but since thunderchero stop working on this mod - and starts to focus on Klingon "Un Civil War" V.1.0.2 - I drop off. In the last half year the modding scene of BotF seems to sleeps a bit. Perhaps this is intressting for you & other TBS fans.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5