Birth of the Federation

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on August 26th, 2010, 8:58 pm
It's designed to use the multi installer from that site.
posted on August 26th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Last edited by navyguy on August 26th, 2010, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Went to run it wont work? FLEET OPS WORKS FINE, FUTUERE WARS THATS WORKS, AND BRIDGE COMMANDER. Thank's for the input.
posted on August 26th, 2010, 11:00 pm
Brother Gabriel wrote:and you wonder why i think botf isnt a good game ...

I never wondered why you dont like it, just saying I think its a good game besides all the problems it has. The AI is pretty bad, not denying that, they are a bunch of asshats that are hard to keep happy. However ive played it with friends and that makes it MUCH more fun as you can do all that fun backstabbing to your human opponents :)

As far as the memory leak, I HAVE had that problem, the original retail version once you got to around turn 80 or so the game just went to hell, turn processing started to take upwards of an hour in some cases, just insane. But the patch fixed that issue. Also for anyone out there that likes 4X style games you should try Sins of a Solar Empire. Its a like an RTS/4X hybrid game, very cool.
posted on August 26th, 2010, 11:07 pm
Adm. Zaxxon wrote:not if you have a BotF CD.  I have heard that the a2 cd will run both bridge commander aswell as BotF, but I am not sure.

i know for a fact that the bridge commander checks are so bad that an armada 2 cd will keep it happy lol. its rather funny i discovered that by total luck one day, wonder why the game didnt cry for the cd before, but does now.
posted on August 26th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Yeah glad you mentioned Sins, great game.  :thumbsup:
posted on August 27th, 2010, 2:40 am
SinStar wrote:Yeah glad you mentioned Sins, great game.  :thumbsup:

Especially all the mods available for it, im running 3 mods together that doubles the unit cap, strengthens capital ships and adds new planet types with new bonuses. Simply an awsome game.
posted on August 27th, 2010, 3:48 am
Last edited by navyguy on August 27th, 2010, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
what patch would fix the game? and is the game shot? is birth of the fed anything like armada 2 are there ships that attack each other like in ARMADA 2. Would you give me the name of the site, thanks.
posted on August 27th, 2010, 3:55 am
navyguy wrote:what patch would fix the game? and is the game shot?

For botf there is a site dedicated to mods for it, also you can d/l the game there with patches by modders that fixed alot of things wrong with the original game.
posted on August 27th, 2010, 4:02 am
Tyler wrote:Actually, what he wants is for it to act rationally. The diplomacy system doesn't work in that game.

This review mentions a number of problems it has: http://www.strategyplanet.com/content/reviews/botf/

at least one guy that understands me
posted on August 27th, 2010, 1:43 pm
Brother Gabriel wrote:at least one guy that understands me

I understand what you are saying and aleady told you the AI is crap, but that doesnt mean people wont like it. And you have obviously played it and if its not your cup of tea, fine. Just pointing it out to anyone who likes turn based strategy because I still think its a good game all problems aside and anyone who hasnt played it should try it, the fact that you can download it for free now its awsomne, coupled with some of the mods the game is quite fun.

navyguy wrote:what patch would fix the game? and is the game shot? is birth of the fed anything like armada 2 are there ships that attack each other like in ARMADA 2. Would you give me the name of the site, thanks.

Not botf is nothing like armada. You DO build ships and can attack the opponent with fleets but its not the same as armada. Your best bet is to look up some videos on youtube at the game footage and that should give you a good idea on what to expect. Armada is all about combat, botf is about building and managing an empire, theres R&D, diplomacy, military, intelligence, expantion and conquest. Alot more to deal with then Armada. Also the AI is a bit easier to deal with if you know what their triggers are, i have a strategy guid i got when the game first came out and it really helps to keep the ai happy, not quite perfect but it does help. (For example if you have contacted the federation as another race and you subjugate a minor race they will often attack you and try to liberate them).
posted on August 27th, 2010, 3:36 pm
Last edited by Brother Gabriel on August 27th, 2010, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dont think it can be compared to armada II, since its a totally different style of game.
While Armada shows the total war as "realtime" game, you can avoid wars sometimes(if you are lucky) in botf. Its round based and requires you to build a decent infrastructure if you want to be succesfull. Main Problem for me and alot other people are the followingfacts: it runs unstable, the galaxy is small, that the AI is one big Bug and that botf is quite superficially at some points. A good example is the Techtree. If the modders clean this mess up, im quite sure that it could be fun to play it, but so far i didnt play it with mods. I did the mistake to buy it ages ago, unpatched, unmodded. I might give it a try again when i find time.
As positve things are being said: Its easy to understand, quite good graphics for its age,good user interface. StarTrek license :)
posted on August 28th, 2010, 4:29 am
Well with the mods galaxy size is definately no longer an issue, the galaxy maps I played on last were about 4 times the size of the original big maps. Almost too big, but that also helps some of the other issues in itself, the galaxy is so big by the time you run into any of the AI races you should have a decent little empire by then and chances are you wont run into more then 2 for quite some time. Dont have to worry about a unpredictable AI if you dont run into them.  :thumbsup:
posted on August 29th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Ah, Botf! I love that game, one of the best Star Trek games ever. Played it some days ago again. Every year there is a point of time where I have to play it again, just because it's great and every game is different. With the modding tools of the community I modded it myself just a bit, but I was pretty happy with the stock version, too.
Of course it has some issues, the balancing is bad(Ferengi(!) are best by far), the economy is much too complicated and expensive later on and it doesn't run properly even on the newest computers, as soon as you have a large empire.
However: intelligence, science, diplomacy, small races, unforeseen events...: so many great things. And the galaxy looks different every time. :thumbsup:
posted on August 29th, 2010, 5:58 pm
The diplomacy would be better if it was more than simply buying loyalty.
posted on August 31st, 2010, 12:38 pm
Well, mostly yes, but it's not everything about buying loyalty. Your actions also have an impact on the relationships, liberating small races, intruding into foreign territory etc.
But you are right about the fact that money is much too important for a Star Trek game, that's why Ferengi are very OP in botf.

I don't remember a game where diplomacy isn't influenced by money as a main factor.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5