Fire for Effect

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2
posted on February 28th, 2008, 1:20 pm
Last edited by Optec on February 28th, 2008, 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In the last month many doubts appeared in the community concerning the Armada2 engine. The engine - an improved version of the decade-old Battlezone engine - is of course far behind her best days. Thats why we spend much effort in improving the quality of the engine. Many new eye candy features will be presented in Fleet Operations 3.0 unseen in the community till now. That includes enhanced shaders for starships as you already saw in the great visible detail of past screenshots.

Click here to read this article!
posted on February 28th, 2008, 1:29 pm
Wow thats some kick ass stuff you got going there and it just keeps getting better and better  :thumbsup:
posted on February 28th, 2008, 3:13 pm
the engine is based of battlezone - o0? I thought I had saw some weird comments inside the AI scripts hinting to some civ game o0
Dr. Lazarus
posted on February 28th, 2008, 3:19 pm
In terms of graphics, the original A2 is starting to look like the original Super Mario Brothers 1.  :blink:
posted on February 28th, 2008, 4:15 pm
Last edited by ewm90 on February 28th, 2008, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O my god I think I am in love!

I have all wase knowest that beem weponds end with a very square end. If it posabule to put a Fire Effect at the point of contact at the end of the beem.
posted on February 28th, 2008, 4:27 pm
Smoerebroed wrote:the engine is based of battlezone - o0? I thought I had saw some weird comments inside the AI scripts hinting to some civ game o0

Yes, A1 was based on the Battlezone engine. If you look in A2's odf/other folder you'll still find some of the old files, referring to it.

in fact, look at this, odf/other/asteroid.odf
Code: Select all
[GameObjectClass]
baseName = "sscr_1"
classLabel = "scrap"
scrapCost = 0
scrapValue = 1
maxHealth = 100
maxAmmo = 0
unitName = "Asteroid"
heatSignature = 0.02
imageSignature = 0.02
radarSignature = 0.01

Heat Signature, Scrap Value, Ammo...
posted on February 28th, 2008, 6:34 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on February 28th, 2008, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooo impressive... must... have... v3!!  :sweatdrop:

I agree with Ewm that it would be nice to have some effects at the tip of phasers; they have always looked a little blunt when striking the shield or ship... possible, if it was possible, the beam could look "rounder" at the end... or have a spreading effect just as it touches the "object" to make it look more as if the energy is spreading?
posted on February 28th, 2008, 7:10 pm
I gotta wonder, would a beam weapon even have a tip on the end? Or would it just be flat. I don't know much about particle physics and stuff like that, but I was just thinking that if a beam was emitted, it would be emitted evenly over the area it was being projected into... I don't know if u could make it pointed. Also, what would be the point of having it pointed? I mean, apart from being aesthetically pleasing?
Just some thoughts.
posted on February 28th, 2008, 7:23 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on February 28th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I misspoke  :lol:

What I meant was that the beam looks a little too 2D currently... it would be nicer if it hit the shield dead on, rather than obliquely (the beam never looks like it lines up with the shield (or ship) correctly, parts of it even are "through" the bubble, whereas other parts are not connecting at all).
posted on February 29th, 2008, 1:18 am
yes I have always noticed that as well

one other thing when you destroy a ship with phasers right after the ship is dead for like 1-5 milliseconds the phasers keep firing and go across the whole map and it bugs me I dont know if this is fixable but it would be nice
posted on February 29th, 2008, 3:50 am
Plasma Coil - one word:  Momomomonsterkill!!!!!

Guys... you are stunning. This looks impressive.

Thanks for the footage. :)
posted on February 29th, 2008, 7:46 pm
HOW DID YOU DO IT!!! THATS AMAZING, new life for A2 :)
posted on March 11th, 2008, 12:08 pm
Looking Great As always can't wait to see the final product
posted on March 11th, 2008, 1:38 pm
In 3 years, I have yet to see the FO team do something that isn't incredible.  That would be the upside.  The downside would be the whole '3 years' part.
posted on March 11th, 2008, 3:49 pm
great work guys.
1, 2