Tereanan Empire Mod (New Thread)

1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11
posted on June 7th, 2011, 11:03 am
Last edited by Anonymous on June 16th, 2011, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here are the specs for the Wormhole Class Destroyer.

Vessel Type:  Destroyer
Range:  Long
Size:  Small
Special 1:  Cloak
Special 2:  Reversible Artillery Refit
Built At:  Alef Yard Destroyer Extension Module
Prerequisits:  None

Weapon 1 (Not Available with Artillery Refit):
Type;  Chroniton Torpedo
Shot Delay:  6
Damage:  10
Weapon Special 1:  Tractor emitter causes torpedo to always hit
Weapon Special 2:  Fires a volley of 4 shots if the vessel is out of combat for more than 30 seconds before firing 1 shot every 6 seconds.

Weapon 2 (Artillery Refit Only):
Type:  Micro-Singularity Torpedo
Shot Delay:  3
Damage:  Shock wave, 8 per second, lasts 2.5 seconds, expands at a rate of 2 grids per second
Weapon Special 1:  Fires from strategic range, but vessel still counts as long range.

3 Offensive Value (13 for refit)
16 Defensive Value (43 Neutronium Refit)
21 System Value

- No non-Tereanan destroyer matches this vessel's system value.
- The Borg Adaptor, Sphere, and Pyramid are the only cruisers that match or outmatch this vessel's system value.
- The Borg Cube, Federation Phalanx, Romulan D'deridex, Norexan, and Tavara are the only battleships that match or outmatch this vessel's system value.
- The Borg Dode, Dominion C-17, Federation Canaveral, Norway, Remore, Klingon Qaw'Duj and BortaS are the only support ships that match or outmatch this vessel's system value.
- The Borg Assembly Node is the only non-Combat ship that matches or out-matches this vessel's system value.

BUILD COSTS:
33 Dilithium (48 Neutronium Refit, 69 Built with Neutronium)
325 Tritanium (475 Neutronium Refit, 687 Built with Neutronium)
12 Supply (15 Neutronium Refit, 18 Built with Neutronium)
83 Seconds (112 Neutronium Refit, 125 Built with Neutronium)

Here's a small piece of the Tereanan Techtree (minus Avatar Ships/Stations/Bonuses).

Tactical Center
Support Yard
Dilithium Replicator (Requires Dilithium Replication Technology)
Tritanium Replicator
Supply Replicator
Alef Class Shiypard
- Alef Yard Destroyer Extension Module (x2)
- - Boundary Class Destroyer
- - Wormhole Class Destroyer
- Alef Yard Cruiser Extension Module (x2)
- - Hurricane Class Cruiser
Engineering Center (Requires Alef Class Shipyard)
- Neutronium Replication Technology
- Cruiser Chassis Level 1
- Cruiser Chassis Level 2
- Cruiser Chassis Level 3
- Battleship Chassis Level 1 (Requires Cruiser Chassis Level 2)
- Battleship Chassis Level 2
- Battleship Chassis Level 3
- Weapons Upgrade Level 1
- Weapons Upgrade Level 2
- Shield Upgrade
- Engines Upgrade Level 1
- Engines Upgrade Level 2
- Engines Upgrade Level 3
- Sensors Upgrade
- Dilithium Replication Technology
Bet Class Shipyard (Requires Engineering Center)
- Support Extension Module
- - Voyager Class Support Cruiser
- Most Bet Class Shipyard Information is Classified
Rest of Technology Tree is Classified

The Voyager Class Support Cruiser has energy and shield enhancing technologies for allied ships as well as a passive to recharge special energy to some stations.  Such as the Dilithium Replicator which will eat up special energy faster than one Voyager Class vessel can replenish it.

The Voyager Class can transfer 40 special energy to a single Dilithium Replicator.  This will use 60 special energy from the Voyager Class vessel.  Shot delay is 2 seconds.  This is a passive ability that cannot be controlled.

The Dilithium Replicator, when built, will produce 1.25 units of Dilithium per second, using 13 special energy per second.  The first upgrade will allow it to produce 2.5 Dilithium per second and will use 25 special energy per second.  The second (and final) upgrade will allow the replicator to produce 5 Dilithium per second and use 50 special energy per second.

Once built, you'll require 1 Voyager Class Support Cruiser to keep up with special energy demands (until the ship runs out of special energy.  After the first upgrade, you'll require 2 Voyager Class vessels.  After the second upgrade, 3 Voyager Class vessels will be required.  Each vessel must be right up against the station to supply it with energy.  And the energy supplied by the ship is actually supplied faster than it can be regenerated.  So you may need an extra Voyager Class vessel or two to support the other vessels supporting the station.

For some Tereanan ships, the special energy will indicate how many torpedoes are left.  Which won't be very many.  At the moment, probably the Mountshining III Class and the Wormhole class will use special energy as an indicator on how many torpedoes are left the rest can replicate their torpedoes easily.

I changed my mind about the Wormhole special.  It will now increase the rate at which chroniton torpedoes are fired, but at the risk of disabling the launcher.  The Wormhole Class will have 40 chroniton torpedoes and does not have the technology required to replicate them.

The Mountshining III Class can replicate it's chroniton torpedoes.  But it'll have singularity torpedoes in a limited supply (12).

Once a vessel runs out of torpedoes, that vessel must be near a shipyard to be resupplied.

The constructor has the choice of building a sensor platform, or a turret frame.  The turret is built using modules.  The modules that the turret will be able to build are "Pulse (Limit of 2)," "Phaser (Limit of 3)," "Torpedo (Limit of 3)," "Tachyon (Limit of 2)," and "Replicator (Limit of 2)."  If you don't install replicator modules, your turret will run out of torpedoes and will have to be resupplied.

The torpedo modules will allow the turret to fire shots in different patterns depending on the number of modules.  1 module will fire a single torpedo every couple seconds.  2 modules will fire a volley of two torpedoes every few seconds.  3 modules will fire a volley of 4 torpedoes every few seconds.  More modules also increase the maximum torpedo load.

The replicator module enables the turret to replicate the torpedoes itself.  If it does this however, it's maximum potential firepower is limited.  More modules increase the rate at which the torpedoes are replicated.

The Tachyon modules sends out 2 types of tachyon scans.  Standard tachyon, and subspace tachyon.  Neither of which can detect special Romulan cloaking devices.  The subspace tachyon scan can only detect special Tereanan cloaking technologies.  Build the sensor array to detect the Romulans.

Okay, I've completed the geometry of the Wormhole Class destroyer.  It's smaller than I expected and it doesn't have the shape I expected.  However, I like the result and I'm going to use it.  I'll post a screenshot once I get it in-game.
posted on June 7th, 2011, 12:26 pm
Sounds quite interesting. I honestly would love to see some of your work :)  :thumbsup:
posted on June 16th, 2011, 11:46 pm
Well, if I can get the model in-game without it being invisible, then the preview should be relatively quick.  The modeling phase of the ship only took one day, but I'm not that fast at texture mapping or creating the textures themselves.

EDIT:
By the way, the specials for this ship are going to be Temporal Cloak, and Chroniton Torpedo Bombardment.  I'm going to try to update the ship values soon to compensate for this change.  The previous special was micro-singularity torpedoes, but I didn't like that.

There are two chroniton torpedo launchers on this ship.  One is facing forwards and has about 2/9 of the standard restricted firing arc.  The other one is facing backwards and has the standard restricted firing arc.  Both will try to hit the primary target, but only one launcher can be in range at a time.  The torpedoes are fired every 6 seconds and deal 10 damage per shot.

For the chroniton torpedo bombardment, it'll take special energy to reconfigure the launchers, and it'll take energy to fire each torpedo.  Torpedoes will be equipped with a thin subspace field by the wormhole-shaped deflector dish that will increase the damage done by 20%.  Shots will be fired at 1-second intervals.  And special energy regeneration rate will be greatly reduced.  I don't know by how much yet though.  This special will require research at the Technology Center.

In Star Trek, temporal cloak seemed to act a lot like phase cloak in terms of the fact that one could move through objects.  I'm thinking I should simulate this with the temporal cloak of this vessel.  I'm thinking of this requiring research at the Technology Center, but I'm thinking that would make the vessel a bit underpowered.  The vessel doesn't have any standard cloaking technologies.

I'm also trying to come up with a more complex formula to determine shield hitpoints and system value.  So the shields and system values will be different for every ship and station.

UPDATE:
For the initial release of this mod, I'm just going to put in the bare minimum of what is required to play.  You'll have to spam Alef Yard vessels because those will be the only vessels available.  Avatars and passive damage will also be unavailable, however, I'm building a passive calculator PHP script on my website that will help me calculate the passives.

I've come up with a nice formula for preventing Tereanan ships from having super-high system values despite their redundant systems.  Each subsystem will take away from the final system value based on the size of the vessel, and the power of the subsystem.  I actually had to modify the formula a couple times so that one of the subsystems wouldn't put the system value into the negative zone.  Oops!

For Engines
E = (S*(3/4)*pi*r^3)/1,000,000

E = Total Special Energy Used By Engines
S = Speed of the Engines In Units Per Second
R = Radius of the Ship ((Length+Width+Height)/2)/3

For Sensors
E = I*(7/8)

E = Total System Value Used By Sensors
I = Range Index (1=Station, 2=Ship, 3=Scout, 4=Special)

For Life Support
E = (pi*r^3)/10,000

E = Total System Value Used By Life Support

For Shields
E = ((S*0.75*pi*r^3)/10,000)*(G^(5/7))

E = Total System Value Used By Generators
S = Shield Defense Value
G = Number of Shield Generators

For Weapons
E = (O*T*L)

E = Total System Value Used By Weapons
O = Weapon Offensive Value Per Launcher
T = Weapon Type Damage Constant
Chroniton Pulse = 4.75
Other Pulse Weapon = 2.15
Any Torpedo Launcher Type = 1.85
Temporal Disruptor = 2.25
Other Beam Weapon = 1.45
L = Number of Weapon Launchers

The ship gains 12 system values per power core and loses system value based on the above formula as it reroutes power to it's various systems.  I'm sure you've noticed the extreme system value used by 1 offensive value of the chroniton-based pulse.  The Tereanan Empire doesn't make their chroniton pulses very strong, but they do make great system disabling weapons.

I've cleaned up the thread a little bit.  But I have nothing major to report other than the fact that my Microsoft Office trial ran out and I've been doing some thinking on how I'm going to balance the mod.

I think it was Clintsat that suggested that I only do a few ships and stations, just enough to get the mod in the game and playable, then add to the mod.  So that's exactly what I'm going to do.  I'm going to put in the following units for the initial release of the mod:

Supply Replicator
Explorer Class
Wormhole Class
Boundary Class
Hurricane Class
Defense Drone
Construction Ship
Mining Freighter
Support Yard
Alef Yard
Tactical Center

That's all that is really needed.
posted on June 17th, 2011, 12:00 am
Am I getting Deja vu or have I read this post before?
posted on June 17th, 2011, 5:45 pm
Last edited by Anonymous on June 17th, 2011, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I merged most of my consecutive posts so it may look like you've read it before.

EDIT:
I'll try to make as few consecutive posts as possible.  The double horizontal lines indicate where the merged posts are.

I just had an idea about using the "Metal" resource as Neutronium.  Basically, the Borg would get a fleet cap system for their collective connections and the Tereanans would get the resource previously used by the Borg as collective connections and it would be renamed to Neutronium.  Don't worry about the Borg collective connection system, I've got that all worked out so it won't affect balance.  But what would you think about the Tereanans getting the metal resource as Neutronium and the Borg getting a dynamic fleet cap as Collective Connections instead of the metal resource?

EDIT:
I'm already creating a mod to implement the new collective connection system.  I would like the devs to look over it for implementation into a stock FO install after I release the mod.
posted on June 17th, 2011, 10:03 pm
It provides no advantages to stock FO, so just include it with this mod.
posted on June 19th, 2011, 1:24 am
Will do.  But I will test the new collective connection system as a standalone mod.  Just to make sure it works.

UPDATE:
So far, it crashes every time the loading bar reaches 10%.  I don't understand why.  The "buttonslot" for the new "weapons" is set to 0, which if I remember correctly, does not require a techtree entry.  Or does it when I'm dealing with mods.

I haven't modified the Input.map file at all.  There's no need to do so.

In this thread, Dominus_Noctis inadvertently helps me solve a crash problem with the collective connections mod by fixing a typo in one of the ODF files.  So I was finally able to test the mod.  Other than the crashing problem, I don't think that the mod could have failed more miserably than it did.  Right after I built the conduction matrix, I was able to build an Adaptor, even though I hadn't bought a Resistance is Futile or researched Technology Nodes level 1.

Well, if I can't get what I want one way, I'll have to go about it a different way.  The only problem is this way will require modifications to many more ODF files, which I was hoping to avoid.  Hate it when I have to come up with a new plan because the old one didn't work.  And it makes me wonder if the new plan will actually work.

EDIT:
Double-posts merged.
posted on June 19th, 2011, 3:02 am
I generated a crash report from your mod and it did mention Tech Trees if I understood it properly - so perhaps it is an error there.
posted on June 19th, 2011, 2:25 pm
But if you fix that typo you mentioned in the bor_pyramidR.odf file and the game will not crash at all.  For some reason, a typo in the #include command seems to generate a techtree error.  Here, I supplied the file for you.

I recommend adding to the guide that missing quotation marks in the #include command can cause a crash at 10% loading bar.

Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

posted on June 19th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on June 19th, 2011, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ah ok - I did not test fixing it etc, as I was rushed for time :)

edit: added two crash causes to the Checklist - GUI include instruction and ODF include instruction crashes (70-80% and 10% of load bar, respectively).
posted on June 19th, 2011, 3:40 pm
I'm executing plan B.

By the way, can resources other than the "officer" resource have different tooltips for each faction?
posted on June 27th, 2011, 8:41 pm
Okay, so making the Borg use a fleet cap is going to be a lot harder than I thought.  However, if the Tereanans are going to use the metal resource as Neutronium, than the Borg must use a fleet cap for their Collective Connections.  Well, I'm going to put this project on hold while I try to solve a problem with the Newport News Speedway.
posted on June 29th, 2011, 3:25 pm
I'm currently not working on this project, but I thought of an idea to help prevent Tereanan combat ships from being captured.  Security fields.  The only thing is, these security fields can only be used if the shields are down and transporters cannot be used while the fields are up.  Cloak however, can be used while the fields are up.  It prevents transport while the ships are decloaking.

Also, because the Tereanans require the constructors to be warped-in, thus having a longer start-game time and being more vulnerable, I was thinking that the constructors should be able to cloak as well, but the way power is being routed, requires the constructor to decloak after a period of time.  It also lengthens the time it would take to beam a turret into space.  By the way, the Construction ship is armed, but vulnerable during construction.  Plus, I may require the starbase to be built before the shipyards are built, but if the base is destroyed, it won't have to be rebuilt again to build more yards.

The mining stations and freighters would also be cloak capable and the cloak would activate the instant the units finish construction (does not drop shields).  The mining beams would also be invisible as well as making no noise like the other mining beams.  To prevent it from being too overpowered, I'll up the cost of the ships and stations.  Probably to 1 Dilithium to 3 Tritanium and generally consuming more resources per second than a Federation ship of the same value does.  So the Tereanans may have mining that can't be raided without cloak detect, but they'll require a larger resource income to build their fleets.  This can also be fun if you try to build 4 ships simultaneously from one Alef Class Shipyard, which is possible.

For ease of access to the miners and mining stations.

Borg:
- 1 Probe, 1 Peripheral Scout Cube, and 1 EM Scout Cube, relatively speaking, instant cloak counter.  The Tereanans won't have any ships anyways because they should be constructing the yard by the time you get two of those vessels out (1 probe and 1 scout cube).

Dominion:
- I believe that they have the ability to send a tachyon ping to a nearby Dominion ship using a special station, but I could be wrong.  With how long it'll take the Tereanans to get their starbase up, it shouldn't be too hard to develop a counter to the cloaked mining before the Tereanans are able to put a shipyard up.

Federation:
- Again, you should have to worry about being able to counter a fleet.  Build that starfleet science and delay ship building if necissary and research the Ventures special.  The Tereanans won't have a single ship because they are building their starbase as required.

Klingon:
- Unsure, they might have to place a scout station on top of the target resource to make sure that nothing is there.  They might encounter some resistance.

Romulan:
- Just refit your scout and you've got it made.  Instant cloak counter.  Would you like to refit the starting scout or build a second scout and refit it?  Either way, you will probably need a second scout.

Tereanan:
- I don't think they can do anything early-game as they will both be building a starbase as quickly as possible.  Their cloak counters will have to come later.
posted on July 16th, 2011, 2:27 pm
Here's something I just thought up of.  Since the defense drones are so good in swarms and so easy to produce relative to other ships, I'm thinking that the weapons should take up special energy, but the drone will not be able to recharge the special energy itself.  This should prevent the player from using them to rush the opponents base just by bringing a scout with him/her.  Here's how it'll work.

• The drones are built at the shipyard with 10 special energy (Exactly 1 System Value).
  • If hit, the drone is 100% guaranteed to be destroyed and is just about useless if it's been damaged because it can't be repaired.
  • The drones have a self-replicating system that goes off every 4 minutes (about the same time as starfleet command) and uses 10 special energy.  Each shot that the drone fires uses 5 special energy.
  • Only a support yard can recharge a drones special energy and does so every 5 seconds restoring all special energy to all drones nearby.

This should keep the drones from being rushed since they have the offensive value of a scout but are a ton easier to produce than a scout.  If the drone isn't within medium range of the support yard, it doesn't get it's special energy.  Since only the support yard can supply the special energy to the drone and only to the drone, support ships are useless and it makes the drone useless as an offensive unit.

By the way, the drone has the following values:
4 Offensive Value (1 standard phaser, 4.113 Damage/Shot, 2.5 Delay)
0 Defensive Value (2 Hull, 0 Shield, 1 Engine/Weapons, Can't Repair Damage)
1 System Value (10 Special Energy, 0 Recharge Rate)
posted on July 16th, 2011, 11:56 pm
Well, I have put the drone into Fleet Ops with one tiny detail.  There is a crash every time it builds.  I've already sent in a crash report to the developers to see if they can help me out any plus I've been looking over the crash checklist to see if there are any details I missed.
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11