Maps by Phoenix

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
posted on June 7th, 2010, 4:23 pm
love ur maps though i havent played any online

and boggz sign me up for a fun game on one of these maps  :D
posted on June 8th, 2010, 2:10 am
Facist wrote:love ur maps though i havent played any online

and boggz sign me up for a fun game on one of these maps  :D

I dig it  :).

I'd love to have a fun 4 man Free For All on Beta Aquilae or even a 2 v 2 :)
posted on June 8th, 2010, 2:12 am
Last edited by Facist on June 8th, 2010, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
awesome  :woot: next time i see u online we will have do that should b lots of fun  :D

oh and Boggz im having trouble with ur updated version of Duel,ive downloaded it 7 times now but it keeps reverting back old one,ive deleted old one and manually placed files in bzn folder but it still wont allow me to try it out  :crybaby: any advice on how to solve this dilema :sweatdrop:

any help would b helpful, i want to play on it bad coz it my fav map and it a very popular 1v1 online  :thumbsup:
posted on June 8th, 2010, 3:08 am
That's strange .. are you downloading it from AStrometrics or from the Forums?
posted on June 8th, 2010, 3:30 pm
hey yandon these youtube videos dont work
posted on June 8th, 2010, 4:08 pm
i have downloaded from both  :crybaby: i really want to play the map
posted on June 8th, 2010, 4:57 pm
Last edited by Phoenix on June 8th, 2010, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE MATCH

Good review! It's interesting to see how the early game played out and how important it is to explore. I think that with a bit more Tau Ceti experience under the belt, both players would have found their moons quicker (2d and 2t are both accessible but deliberately positioned "off the beaten track" and a further two sets are available from the unused Players 3 & 4.

I think, from the observation of that map, I'd suggest that an early game strat be more toward scouting and setting up an initial defender fleet, while devoting only say, two freighters per moon. On an explorative map, it is important to make the best use of the limited resources that you can and expand only by your means to defend. In essense, Butter may have put too much into freighters and not enough into his defense fleet; leaving him open to attack. Solutions in the game, could have been to decommission unused freighters, decommission the fleet yard expansion, move the two breen cruisers into a forward position.

I think by contrast, Hal'Fala spent a bit more on his home fleet making more effecting offensive use of the resources available. Coincidentally, the D moon in the Iceteroid Field is accessible fairly quickly through the Fluid Nebula and offers a defensible position.

STARTING POSITIONS

I have to admit, from my play throughs, I've found it hardest from Butters position in the Top Left. Part of the uniqueness of that starting point is that it is more defensible, for research and shipyard stations, than the other points but the resource moons are position at the choke points making the defense of resourcing a bit more difficult.

Hal'Fala's location has the main issue of sparse resource locations beyond the first two. However, resource locations are easier to defend, with the first set being relatively close to base and the second natural set being in defensible locations. Good on resourcing, but the nebula locations give rise to ambushing, so it's important to keep tabs on who is using the nebulae near the base.

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

I am also curious as to how an online game would play out between players who know Tau Ceti quite well, where the initial exploration is less of a defining factor.

FINAL NOTES

As a final note, to new players looking to download maps like Tau Ceti; don't be put off by the quick resolution of this match, or the search for resources. Once you know the moon positions, play becomes much easier :thumbsup:

I am curious as to how many players knew about all of the derelict positions before this vid since Yandon had access to all of their positions straight away :).

Thank you for making the vid Yandon :)
posted on June 8th, 2010, 5:02 pm
Last edited by Myles on June 8th, 2010, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i want to see if those delehvas ships at the bottom are blocked in or not. if they are not then its gonna be a decisive advantage for whoever gets them.

EDIT: @pheonix, yandon was observer so he can see all ships on map. the players couldnt see the derelicts, or they would have gone straight for those rom ships at bottom.
posted on June 8th, 2010, 5:13 pm
There are derelicts on Tau Ceti!!! :o I had no idea!!
posted on June 8th, 2010, 5:15 pm
lol, yes there are. Having said that, I may have to make some revisions to those since the secret's now out :). Damn you Yandon :lol:
posted on June 8th, 2010, 5:34 pm
yup, several breen cruisers lying around. a prommie, and a cleverly placed mining station sitting on an asteroid. with 2 heavy weapons platforms for support. at the bottom i saw a delehvas, the prototype which held the quadcobalt torp for the serkas. it fires fast but does less damage i believe. i'm not sure if they are trapped though.

i dont like lots of derelicts. a player in the replay found a breen cruiser early. which is a large advantage.
posted on June 8th, 2010, 6:04 pm
Well, you'll be pleased to know I'm revising Tau Ceti then :shifty:

Although I'd have to say that the advantage gained is not nearly as game swaying as it might seem. Butter was the one that gained the Breen ship but his disadvantage was in setting up his mining since by average that starting point has slightly longer travel times to get to and set up all of the natural moons for it. Hence the gain of a Breen Cruiser was something that was more helpful as opposed to decisive. Plus the Breen Cruiser is equiped with torpedoes, which are not so good at hitting smaller ships. Since smaller ships are more prevalent in the earlier part of the game, then the Breen Cruiser would have been less effective until larger ships were produced.

The Salvage Yard and Prommie/Kvort bonus happen to be protected by NPC turrets which will fire on anyone who tries to take them. Combine that with a pretty destructive Tetrion Nebula and you'll find that you cannot simply just waltz in and take them. You need something that can withstand the nebula long enough to take out the turrets and then, assuming you take out the turrets, you'll have to wait for both ships to regen their shields before making use of them. By that time, the game could have progressed long enough for their effect to be not nearly as devestating as you'd imagine.

however, the Delehvas ships at the bottom were a bit of a freebe. There's still one Delehvas but it's protected and not so accessible in the early game.
posted on June 8th, 2010, 6:16 pm
i agree that the prommie and kvort are worthless, in fact they are pointless, i would never attempt to get them lol.

the problem is the breen cruiser. assume two equally strong players, neither has an advantage. both have 3 indentical scubes. then one of them captures a breen cruiser or two, thats a free ship, even more free than warpin. that could tip over the game.

i dont like derelicts at all. if u protect them like the prommie then they are worthless as 1 prommie is not even that good for all the effort needed to get it. if not protected its easy to tip the game with one.i think the map would be better without derelicts. unless u limit to brels/sabres etc. and very rare at that. preferably not cloak ships as they become free cloak scouts.
posted on June 8th, 2010, 7:02 pm
Good points. Still, if people play this map and end up with exactly the same fleets with exactly the same configurations at exactly the same time, then by all accounts, in mind, I've failed to make a map which challenges people and promotes unique play styles.

I have moved the two Breen Ships into positions which are more open to all players (not so close to Butter for example) and will also replace them with non-cloaking ships (good point about the free cloak scout). However, due to the nature of assymmetry, you'll find that some starting point may be slightly closer to bonuses than others, if it helps to balance them out a bit.

For example; on the one hand, you could get a freebe, giving you an instant bonus, but you may have to live with slightly exposed mining locations for the whole game, which may be further re-balanced with having a slightly more defensible location to build ships. The nature of assymmetry is imbalance. The trick to making it fun, is to counter imbalances with inverse imbalances, which is what I'm tweaking with these reviews :). The aim is to promote assymmetric games as a result! :D.

In the instance of Hal'Fala vs Butter; Hal'Fala constructed 4 K’beajQ ships while Butter had 1 constructed K'Vort and found one Breen Cruiser. If Butter had positioned them at his exposed mining areas (as opposed to keeping them close to his shipyard and starbase), then he'd have at least been able to stem the flow, maybe encourage a temporary retreat, giving him time to set up his mining, at the recently discovered moon. At which point, the gain of the Cruiser becomes somewhat irrelevant since the enemy then would know of it's existence and could devise a counter (as soon as it's destroyed then the bonus is lost forever). If butter had not spent resources building a field yard extention or freighters too soon, then he could have added a couple more ships to the fleet to even up the odds :).
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9