What's missing from Dominus's Mega-Guide?

guide.fleetops.net
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on June 23rd, 2009, 8:51 pm
You might also want to do a section on creating maps. For instance: balancing, placing, spacing, nebula's design patterns, and how to use the editor.
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:40 am
How about this as an idea for the guide? P0VVN1N6 a battleship using only 1 fighter carrier! I could really use that!
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:21 pm
Thanks for all your continued support folks, and thus I have an announcement to make: Zebh has graciously offered to write an "Introduction to Fleet Operations" as well as a Map Making section for the guide! In the next few weeks, you can thus expect that many of these concerns will be met. By the way, keep a lookout for a new version of the guide which will be posted later today  :whistling:

So keep offering suggestions and this guide can (hopefully) only get better.  B)

@ Gamer: I'm confused about the fighter carrier suggestions. At the moment I can't really find a use for them--do you have an MP strategy that works well? If so, could you enlighten me?
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:33 pm
Well, I do fighter spams... and I basically make a wall of fighter flight paths that basically anything from a light battleship down gets destroyed before they can make it through. I was wondering if I had to take down a cube aand all i had available was a fighter carrier, what is it I should do. Fighters barely scratch the surface of it. :shifty:

I want to also be able to effectively use these tactics to help rank up my carriers.
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Do you have a BO associated with this tactic? General tactics with the other ships in your fleet? I'd like something that I could test out, because B-5's and Avalons really haven't cut it for me thus far. It sounds to me as if your strategy is extremely defensive and expensive in nature (creating a wall of fighters would take many minutes). How do you expand and raid (or build a balanced fleet) if you are spending all these resources on your carriers?
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:39 pm
Dominus_Noctis wrote: It sounds to me as if your strategy is extremely defensive and expensive in nature (creating a wall of fighters would take many minutes). How do you expand and raid (or build a balanced fleet) if you are spending all these resources on your carriers?

I usually do this if i have at least 4 sets of moons. This way I have constant income flooding in! Besides, I find this tactic quite useful as long as there are no armed stations nearby.
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:45 pm
So this is an endgame strategy for you... but why so defensive then? Why waste the resources on bulking up your base defenses if you need to go on the offensive in order to win?
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:48 pm
It isn't really defensive, all I'm doing is aking sure that their resouces get wasted by spamming them with cheap fighters. Plus it distracts them so that I can attack them from another angle.  :D
posted on June 24th, 2009, 3:18 pm
So then this strategy is designed for very large maps only?

I can see the bit with putting out fighters on an undefended mining outpost... but this is still late game: what opponent doesn't have defensive structures or at least ships/scouts defending such an expansion?
posted on June 28th, 2009, 11:43 am
while i'm trying to figure out the right build order for the dominion... is it just me or do they always run out of ressources or supplies, depending spamming bugs instantly and weak midgame due to supplies or beeing weak in the earlygame caused by lesser ships but ketracel stations?

this part is really missing in the guide, otherwise its pretty cool as is, at least for me :)
posted on June 28th, 2009, 2:33 pm
Yup, haven't written a Dominion section (or Klingon section yet): but keep on the lookout for Mal's upcoming Dominion guide :)
posted on June 28th, 2009, 2:44 pm
well i dunno why there has to be a extra guide for a single race, when all the others are in one big mega-guide (no offense lol), but that made me curious - is it that dominion one so big then? or full of all the possible different strategies im looking for? :)
posted on June 28th, 2009, 2:49 pm
I'm confused... Mal is writing the Dominion guide, which will later be added into the Hitchhicker's Guide to FO, just as when I wrote the Federation, Borg, and Romulan guides and compiled them all. Does this make sense now?  :sweatdrop:
posted on June 28th, 2009, 2:50 pm
lol, yes it does.  :thumbsup:
posted on June 28th, 2009, 6:13 pm
Hey Dominus! I found a federation strategy that works for combating bug ramming your minning ships. Build 3 pulse turrets at your mining. And it should stop them before they can ram. 1 shot from each turret at 1 ship will instantly destroy it
1, 2, 3, 4, 5