Current Project Status

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91
posted on January 21st, 2021, 10:48 pm
Hi there,

Just a loyal fan here. Loved the original ST Armada 2! So this looks like a sequel?

Arm quantum torpedoes, drop the cloak and raise shields. We're going in!
posted on January 22nd, 2021, 1:31 pm
Fleet Operations should officially be labeled as a "mod", but it's so much more than that. The new game (if and when it will be released) will be a free to play Star Trek RTS, obviously heavily influenced by Armada :)
posted on May 7th, 2021, 10:36 pm
Glad to see this project is still alive! I lost hope after some time that anything new will come, but still had fun all this years with your great mod, so of course I'm looking forward to the next version. :thumbsup:
posted on May 11th, 2021, 8:47 pm
also glad it is still alive!
posted on July 12th, 2021, 8:42 pm
Might I direct anyone to the date of the last News post? May 25th, 2015. That's a little over 6 years without any official news. I can't believe I initially supported a move to the new engine. Can someone remind me why FO4 wasn't finished before moving to a new engine? At least then we would have had something to hold us over until NX was completed and not a beta version that's not even officially hosted. Is the FO4 loader even in a state where it can be finished?

I see that the ezEngine is alive and well (at least looking at the GitHub repository). But absolutely nothing on this NX project except for the occasional and questionable assurances that the project is still going. Surely you have something to show?

Edit: Also, the replay section of the guide needs to be updated to allow content to be played without Adobe Flash.
posted on July 14th, 2021, 4:24 pm
I think that's a bit harsh. FO as it is now is still a great game and an awesome platform for modding. There is an "unofficial" FO4 mod that was built from the code available, if you wish.

On the other hand, whenever a succesfull mod developer team claims that they are going to start working on a standalone game, that means usually the death of the project. Creating a game from scratch is insanely difficult and tedious work. And these guys work in their free on it so obviously as the issues mount, it becomes less and less attractive to work on it while you should be relaxing, be with the Missus, play with your children, visit your friends etc. Even large-scale mods suffer of this issue (I talk from first-hand experience), just imagine how does it feel if you have to build everything.

Honestly, I don't expect NX ever to be released, but I'm fine with it, as long as FO remains available to play and mod.
posted on July 17th, 2021, 9:18 am
We would have continued working on A2-FO if it would have been feasible. It wasn't. There wasn't much more that this old engine could support beyond what we already did with the last official release.
posted on July 17th, 2021, 6:33 pm
Then can we at least have the last stable build of 4.0 on the downloads page?
posted on July 17th, 2021, 7:40 pm
A stable or completed version of 4.0 does not exist.
posted on July 17th, 2021, 8:14 pm
Time to fire-up Unity then.
posted on July 19th, 2021, 2:07 am
May I ask if it could be possible to reactivate A2 features like physical planets, orbitals and warp (maybe not the stretching animation of the ships, that was horrific)?
posted on July 19th, 2021, 8:35 am
Some Armada 2 Stock features broke when some of the game's features were completely rewritten from scratch. I tried to restore as much functionality as possible to allow porting stock mods to A2FO and integrate some features modders requested. The unofficial 4.0 loader that is in the forum might have more functionality than 3.2.7, but i honestly don't remember. I know there were still things that didn't work right in the latest builds.

There are no plans to relaunch development on A2FO. It's not like i can quickly get back in the source of the engine and tweak it here and there. Everything was carefully injected code into the game we have no source code for. All of that was an extremely time consuming process.
posted on August 15th, 2021, 2:55 pm
I can only imagine...
Out of curiosity, does the automated trade feature (i.e.: trading station and an NPC trading ship) still work? I'm thinking about creating a trading station for the fun of it.
posted on September 1st, 2021, 12:11 pm
Last edited by Artemisop on September 6th, 2021, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you for letting me know this, you up stay.
One advantage of listening to radio is that it's completely free.radioonlineluisteren
posted on September 2nd, 2021, 12:05 pm
k_merse wrote:I can only imagine...
Out of curiosity, does the automated trade feature (i.e.: trading station and an NPC trading ship) still work? I'm thinking about creating a trading station for the fun of it.

I honestly don't remember, sorry.
1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91