Nova Class should be Chassis 1

You feel like a battlecruiser is too weak or a race too strong? Go ahead and discuss it here :)

Question: Do you use the Nova Class vessel?

Total votes: 41
Whenever I get the chance!5 votes (12%)
I use it a lot.9 votes (22%)
I use it sometimes.10 votes (24%)
I don't use it that much.11 votes (27%)
What's the point?6 votes (15%)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on May 27th, 2011, 11:30 pm
The Federation has a lack of variety early game having only short and long-ranged units with most of the strategies using the short-ranged units.  The Nova would be more useful if it was an early-game ship rather than a mid or late-game ship.

Anticipated Game Balance Changes:
I'm sure that races that use pulse disruptors a lot, like the Klingons and Romulans would have a field day with these vessels.  The Nova takes 20% more damage from pulses.

The Nova takes 14% longer to build than the Intrepid, but only takes 7% more resources, so it's less of a strain on the economy.  The Nova's defensive value is 20% higher than the Intrepid, but the offensive value is 11% lower than the Intrepid, plus the Intrepid only receives 69% of the total possible damage.

On the flip-side, we could just test the possibility of early tech-up to Nova.
posted on May 27th, 2011, 11:47 pm
Ya know, ive actually considered if this would be a good idea, moving the nova too chassis one could be a good change for the feds, atm the feds chassis two pretty much unlocks just two medium range ships in the fed small yard.

However, im sure with the race redos that are currently in progress we will see some good changes for the feds.
posted on May 28th, 2011, 12:04 am
Yes, let's give Mayson even less of a reason to go to chassis 2 and beyond! :woot:

To those in the know, the Nova is a badass engine of death, and giving Mayson even easier access to it is a bad idea.  It's just 800 more dilithium for the upgrade.  Just click the chassis button.  It's not a sin, I promise. :innocent:
posted on May 28th, 2011, 12:27 am
Ray, Monsoon and Intrepids are short-ranged, Sabers are long-ranged.  Medium-ranged doesn't come until Chassis 2 (currently) or if you get a warp-in ship.
posted on May 28th, 2011, 12:31 am
@TChampman, Thats exactly what i just said.
posted on May 28th, 2011, 12:35 am
keep nova where it is, anyways most ships in fleetops "counter"  medium range ships in one way or another,,,
posted on May 28th, 2011, 12:47 am
ray320 wrote:@TChampman, Thats exactly what i just said.

Oops!

Arash8472 wrote:keep nova where it is, anyways most ships in fleetops "counter"  medium range ships in one way or another,,,

All the more reason to move it to Chassis 1.  Besides, building 1 Nova for every 3 Intrepids could be pretty interesting.  Plus it'd be more incentive to build Starfleet Science earlier.
posted on May 28th, 2011, 12:54 am
Its fine where it is. I don't want people to just spam it lol...  :lol:
posted on May 28th, 2011, 12:57 am
Ships that self-buff and buff other early-game spammable units, not to mention units that are unique in being medium range, small, and the fastest speed set have a tendency to be much too powerful for a nearly game starting unit due to their survivability, kiting capacity, and ability to perform quick strikes on the board :).
posted on May 28th, 2011, 1:04 am
I don't think spamming it would be much of a problem.  It's special may be annoying, but if spammed, it is far less efficient than if it is used with another vessel, like the Intrepid.  One may enjoy spamming it, quick-teching to get it's special, and then using it every battle, but the one doing so will be laughing for the supply purchase button when ship production comes to a sudden halt and you're standing on 3,000 dil/tri but 0 supply.

I wouldn't mind at all if the Nova's special doubled in price due to the move down to Chassis 1.  Make it more of a penalty for such inefficient use of the vessel's special.
posted on May 28th, 2011, 1:23 am
Man I won the game with actually having to buy supply!!!! GRRRRRRR THIS SUCKS! >:(
posted on May 28th, 2011, 1:32 am
So, how is that joystick repair going? :D
posted on May 28th, 2011, 1:34 am
Longer games will require you to have to buy supply.  Shorter games, except for maybe the Dominion, will not require the purchase of supply.

I tested the Nova special in a group of 4 ships.  All 4 ships activated their special, but only one instance of the special was applied to each vessel.  Which means that you would use 15 extra supply that you don't need to use.  With the supply cost increase, you'll use 30 supply that you don't need to use.
posted on May 28th, 2011, 1:37 am
I like it where it is, it's special lone makes it that the Feds would have a even bigger advantage early game if it was moved. This coming for a Fed player as well.  :lol:
posted on May 28th, 2011, 10:02 am
TChapman500 wrote:Longer games will require you to have to buy supply.  Shorter games, except for maybe the Dominion, will not require the purchase of supply.

I tested the Nova special in a group of 4 ships.  All 4 ships activated their special, but only one instance of the special was applied to each vessel.  Which means that you would use 15 extra supply that you don't need to use.  With the supply cost increase, you'll use 30 supply that you don't need to use.

That's why you activate it 1 at a time.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5