Still Stock Fleet Ops Only Community

Here you can arrange online encounters and reminisce over past online battles.
1, 2, 3
posted on June 7th, 2011, 12:02 am
Those few here that are bagging out the mods, do you know how much energy, time and heart one puts into a mod? It's not like just starting up a game and bam. Also as others have said FO is a mod and it's not perfect as some have said. It has flaws, it's unbalanced as well.

All I am going to say, is a large portion of this community are modders, and if an attitude like this is to continue, you may as well say goodbye to the FO community as modders will go to other games like SWEAW, Sins of a Solar Empire etc and you'll find i even harder to have that 2vs2 game. I can just of the top of my head name 5 modders that I have played with online.

Just think out it, support those who support FO, the mod you love so much and think can do no wrong.

To everyone else, rock on, you guys are the reason I still come over here and get online on the occasion and have a game with you.  :thumbsup:
posted on June 7th, 2011, 11:51 am
Are you supporting the use of non-cosmetic mods online?
posted on June 7th, 2011, 12:30 pm
TChapman500 wrote:Are you supporting the use of non-cosmetic mods online?

Are you referring to me TChapman? :S
posted on June 7th, 2011, 12:34 pm
Yes.
posted on June 7th, 2011, 4:01 pm
It takes time to build up a community and I am confident that once these other mods are out for a longer period of time they will gain more populatiry :) . Trying to capture an amount of plazers can be difficult when the mod is relatively unknown, or its stability is uncertain, so you can be sure that the longer it is out the more 'dual' players it will get  ^-^ . It is almost always difficult for new mods to grab players - just look at Fleet Ops when it first came out on Armada II :)
posted on June 7th, 2011, 4:22 pm
I'm going to wager that with the new Mod Manager system...you'll see some more mods in use.

I struggled for several weeks to get a compatible version of Sigma (where the games would be white instead of yellow)...and by that time, most everyone had moved off to the latest Fleet Ops patch.
posted on June 7th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Majestic wrote:Those few here that are bagging out the mods, do you know how much energy, time and heart one puts into a mod? It's not like just starting up a game and bam. Also as others have said FO is a mod and it's not perfect as some have said. It has flaws, it's unbalanced as well.

All I am going to say, is a large portion of this community are modders, and if an attitude like this is to continue, you may as well say goodbye to the FO community as modders will go to other games like SWEAW, Sins of a Solar Empire etc and you'll find i even harder to have that 2vs2 game. I can just of the top of my head name 5 modders that I have played with online.

Just think out it, support those who support FO, the mod you love so much and think can do no wrong.

To everyone else, rock on, you guys are the reason I still come over here and get online on the occasion and have a game with you.  :thumbsup:

I dont really see anyone "bagging" the mods that others have made, also I never saw anyone say that modding was a simple process, but the fact remains that if you make a mod you cant just expect everyone to install it and play it. People enjoy the way stock FO is, thats why were all here, and thats what pretty much everyone plays online. You cant really blame people for personal preference, if no one wants to play Tchapmans mod thats cause they dont want to, you cant force it on people. Also I dont recall anyone saying FO is perfect, and if you read through the forums you would notice alot of people with various suggestions on how to make it "better", and if it was perfect we wouldnt always be waiting for the next version to come out :P. Fact it tho its by far the best done star trek mod Ive had the pleasure to play, and I know personally quite a few people who have played FO without even being star trek fans and loving the game just as a RTS, to me that says something.

The community isnt telling people not to make mods for the game, and in fact the devs are trying to make it easier for people to use mods for the game but in the end it all comes down to what the community is willing to try and play, I think its a little extreme to think that the community will fall apart just because someone is upset they wouldnt play his mod. And some mods such as Tylers do get used but as was stated it doesnt change gameplay at all. Once you change gameplay (especially Tchapmans adding buildable warpins) you also limith who you can play with. Bridge Commander is a good example, the KM mod was popular yet there are literally hundreds of other mods you can add to the game, but if you want to play online your screwed casue your not likely to find anyone with those same changes. Thats why I had multiple installs so I could have my personal changes but yet play online.
posted on June 8th, 2011, 8:16 am
Equinox1701e wrote:but the fact remains that if you make a mod you cant just expect everyone to install it and play it.

I don't recall anyone saying that, I certainly didn't did I. Ah forget it, obviously I should quit while I was ahead, maybe I came to this community thinking it has a place for me. I think due to my own personal problems I just don't fit here and should just go back from where I have come from.

Thank you for your response anyway and I appreciate your thoughts, even if they felt a hit hostile to me, but I suppose that is how I came across to you. Being a modder, one who started back in 2000 I know who unappreciated we are sometimes.  :(
posted on June 8th, 2011, 11:30 am
Majestic wrote:I don't recall anyone saying that, I certainly didn't did I. Ah forget it, obviously I should quit while I was ahead, maybe I came to this community thinking it has a place for me. I think due to my own personal problems I just don't fit here and should just go back from where I have come from.

Thank you for your response anyway and I appreciate your thoughts, even if they felt a hit hostile to me, but I suppose that is how I came across to you. Being a modder, one who started back in 2000 I know who unappreciated we are sometimes.  :(

you want someone to say: no majestic dont leave!!!!

but srsly, cut the silly "i dont fit here" stuff, you fit here as much as anyone :)
posted on June 8th, 2011, 11:58 am
Majestic wrote:I don't recall anyone saying that, I certainly didn't did I. Ah forget it, obviously I should quit while I was ahead, maybe I came to this community thinking it has a place for me. I think due to my own personal problems I just don't fit here and should just go back from where I have come from.

"no majestic dont leave!!!!"

:D Thankfully, Majestic is here for the mod, not for the gamers who play it.  :D If he, or anyone else really, were here just for the people who played this mod, they wouldn't last long :sweatdrop:
posted on June 8th, 2011, 2:34 pm
Majestic, I had no hostile intent in my post, just trying to point out the likely reason no one is playing Tchapmans mod online. I didnt intend to offend you in any way. I do appreciate the work that modders do, and I think everyone who mods deserves a round of applause for the work they put into their mods. Those are the people that have given some of my favorite games new life and allowed me to play them well after they have been forgotten by the masses. But you as a modder have to know that all mods are no created equal, Tchapmans mod (and im not trying to bag it) just doesnt sound like it could possibly be balanced despite him saying he thinks it is. Fed warpins have been an ongoing debate around here, and making them buildable would be a big turnoff to alot of non fed players. I dont see how he could have balanced that without significant changes to the other factions (which as far as I know he hasnt done). He has stated in another thread that he himself hasnt tested it and that he hasnt really even played much of the other factions so to me I dont see how it could be balanced in any way, and I dont know how he could think its balanced, and Im guessing the community sees the same thing. This sounds like a mod you would use in a personal AI stomp game, but not one online, and I mean no offence to TChapman but im thinking thats why where at this particular impass.
posted on June 8th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Look!  Right now, that mod is irrelevant.  There is a serious lack of games that use mods PERIOD!  The ones that do use mods, don't have any players except for the host.  That is what I'm complaining about.  Not the fact that my mod isn't being used, but the fact that NONE of the non-cosmetic mods are being used.

Stop trying to place me and my stuff at the center of debates!
posted on June 8th, 2011, 3:00 pm
Last edited by DOCa Cola on June 8th, 2011, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
after all you started the thread, don't you? :P
anyway, the modification modules have just been released. they should offer a good plattform to provide mods that anyone can install and use without to have knowledge about armada modding at all. when i am interested in trying a mod for another game but first have to 'learn' how to mod it to be able to use it, then it can happen that lose interest even trying installing it. i am sure there will be more people curious to look new mods when they come out supporting modification modules. again, this feature is more targeted at total conversions than for smaller modifications. sigma for sure is one of the mods i am looking forward to try. i am sure there are others that are too.
anyway, i'd say if the 'problem' still exists in a few month then, the original question of this thread can be asked again, but for now the modification modules are just working completely since yesterday. give it more time :)
Thread closed
1, 2, 3