Still Stock Fleet Ops Only Community

Here you can arrange online encounters and reminisce over past online battles.
1, 2, 3
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 8:02 pm
Despite having a mod manager to allow you to easily switch between mods, this community still plays online only with stock Fleet Operations.  What's with the huge unwillingness to play online with the mods?
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 8:22 pm
At times I've wondered the same, but I think the answer is simple: stock Fleet Operations is just too awesome and epic.  B)

Also the broken AIP thing with mods kinda makes it impossible for the bigger ones to be played right now...
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm
What about the smaller mods that don't add their own AIPs?  There's no reason those can't be played online.
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 8:28 pm
I think a couple are used (debris and weapon team color), you just have to have the exact same mod to see them.
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 10:06 pm
Yes, I use both Tyler's mods in multiplayer, purely because they don't change the game version, and look awesome.
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 10:14 pm
If the mods don't change the game "version," you risk putting the game out of sync.  Besides, the whole point of not needing whole new installations per mod is so that you can play mods online and easily switch between them!  Why not try playing mods online that actually change the game "version?"  All you need to do is use the mod manager to switch between them in seconds.

This is no different than using a mod in a racing simulator, well, except the racing simulator auto-changes the mod you are using when you join the server, but the mod manager should have changed the fact that the Fleet Ops community is stock only when online community!
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 10:29 pm
TChapman500 wrote:If the mods don't change the game "version," you risk putting the game out of sync.  Besides, the whole point of not needing whole new installations per mod is so that you can play mods online and easily switch between them!  Why not try playing mods online that actually change the game "version?"  All you need to do is use the mod manager to switch between them in seconds.

This is no different than using a mod in a racing simulator, well, except the racing simulator auto-changes the mod you are using when you join the server, but the mod manager should have changed the fact that the Fleet Ops community is stock only when online community!

I played with those mods activated for over an hour and a half in a 4v4 game against 4 hard AIs. I don't think it's going to go out of sync.

TCR, in my experience, most people mod the game to make it how they want it to be (often combining multiple mods), and that is their right. But I don't think many other people will want to play their version of the game.
Also when making mods, most people aren't going to care about balancing, they are only going to be playing against the AI.
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 10:43 pm
Let me guess:  No one wants to play online with the buildable warp ins mod? :blush:

The majority of people who want buildable warp ins do not play online.  And thus, you see the dilemma. ^-^
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 11:19 pm
The only reason to modify a faction would be to improve balance or give it something new without affecting the balance.  The only thing I see going on is mods being played that are "cosmetic" and theoretically don't change the game versions.

PS:
There should be an asset checker on the C++ files because they do change the game version.
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 11:22 pm
Maybe they're content with cosmetic changes for online play?
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 11:30 pm
Why not spice the game up with non-cosmetic mods?  Especially if one is designed to add something but at the same time keeping the game balanced?
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 11:32 pm
TChapman500 wrote:The only reason to modify a faction would be to improve balance or give it something new without affecting the balance.  The only thing I see going on is mods being played that are "cosmetic" and theoretically don't change the game versions.

PS:
There should be an asset checker on the C++ files because they do change the game version.

That's not true, loads of people add ships to their hearts content, just look at all Tyler's ships. And it's not as easy as you say to "keep balance" or "improve balance" when changing stuff around.
posted on June 3rd, 2011, 11:55 pm
Non-cosmetic mods would drastically limit the number of people you can play online, since their game needs to be identical to yours for any files in the compatibility check.

That's a big reason for adding ships and odf mods being restricted to a single player-exclusive FO.
posted on June 4th, 2011, 12:38 am
I'm hoping Total Conversions will be played more in the future, like Sigma for example. These smaller mods, no thanks, why make it harder for people like me, when I can't play stock FO to start with?
posted on June 4th, 2011, 1:07 am
Why do you have an obsession with modding everything? Technically this already is a mod and it is a damn good one. Mods only become popular if the original is lacking something, and FO certainly isn't. Don't cry about it. Also, there aren't that many people that play online. The most popular mod for FO would likely have about 5 players, which would become boring and unsustainable and thus never actually happen. Please stop with the nonsense.
1, 2, 3