Still Stock Fleet Ops Only Community

Here you can arrange online encounters and reminisce over past online battles.
1, 2, 3
posted on June 4th, 2011, 1:16 am
Majestic wrote:I'm hoping Total Conversions will be played more in the future, like Sigma for example. These smaller mods, no thanks, why make it harder for people like me, when I can't play stock FO to start with?

Read my mind.  :whistling:
now to just await for the AIP reading fix...  :shifty:
posted on June 4th, 2011, 1:26 am
Tyler wrote:Non-cosmetic mods would drastically limit the number of people you can play online, since their game needs to be identical to yours for any files in the compatibility check.

What's the difference between that and playing a mod on a racing simulator?  People play mods online in the racing simulators all the time.  They two must have the exact same mod version as the server and no one complains about it having to be identical there.  So why are you complaining about it having to be identical here?

PS:  The above was not directed at Tyler.
posted on June 4th, 2011, 3:17 am
Well, Fleet Ops is not a racing simulator.  It's a strategy game.  Strategy games take time to learn and master.  It is hard enough mastering the changes in each patch, let alone potentially unbalanced mods.  We'll see if more mod games pick up...it's still early.
posted on June 4th, 2011, 3:55 am
As some one  who used to try to download and play every mod he saw on AFC  and other sites, The Very simple reason I stopped that behavior  is that Fleet Ops  I feel Is  far superior in Game play and reliability . The reason  for this is Because of the Unified  cohesevieness of the mod. No more  OOS errors or outright Crashes  because  all the other mods you have dont like each other because of ODF, System values conflicts . Yeah the other mods might have  bevy of Ferengie  ships ,or a cloaked moveable starbase,Borg repair  ships, or A Tertock Nor station. However this mod at the present time is About Rock solid as one can get for a  free game mod. If a problem  or bug is found  the developers  try to fix it if it is Humanaly posssible. However  even they can  only do soo much with a game engine that is over 10 +years old.
posted on June 4th, 2011, 4:32 am
Well, Fleet Ops is not a racing simulator.  It's a strategy game.

You knew this the whole time and didn't tell me??!! :blink:  I've been getting it wrong all these years!!! :crybaby:
posted on June 4th, 2011, 6:35 am
Translation:

Your mod is a tributary of another mod.  History and
Simple research will show you that no splitoff of a splitoff will ever gain the notoriety of the latter easily.  Yours are nonexception :(.  Also consider that you try and create sub-mods / addons (enough tobwarrant your own threads), so people will naturally assume that the effort put in to each one will be only a fraction of the effort put into the original ( in this case a consistently updated mod).

Hope that answers the question of why people online don't play your mods. :)
posted on June 4th, 2011, 10:35 am
Blah blah blah

Can't wait to try Sigma, Yesteryears, Evolution, The Coalition War, etc out online (eventually  :whistling:)

Ignore wet rags.
posted on June 4th, 2011, 11:43 am
Mal wrote:You knew this the whole time and didn't tell me??!! :blink:  I've been getting it wrong all these years!!! :crybaby:

well actually a minigame you can play against the ai is race your scout to the enemy base. they usually send theirs straight to your's, try get to their's first. :woot:
posted on June 4th, 2011, 12:00 pm
I tend to mod for myself but do like to try and keep balance (even if i do keep forgetting things like rankup changes, tooltips, etc) Only reason I release when I do is to give something to the community that they may like but doesn't really bother me if people think its awful or great. but yeah trying to get some one to play your config of mods online at same time as you could be hard.

on a lihter note how do you get both the debris field and weapon team colour mod working at the same time as each other (or does that involve making a combo mod?)
posted on June 4th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Mal wrote:You knew this the whole time and didn't tell me??!! :blink:  I've been getting it wrong all these years!!! :crybaby:

I only discovered this on "Tuesday."
posted on June 4th, 2011, 12:57 pm
Blade wrote:I tend to mod for myself but do like to try and keep balance (even if i do keep forgetting things like rankup changes, tooltips, etc) Only reason I release when I do is to give something to the community that they may like but doesn't really bother me if people think its awful or great. but yeah trying to get some one to play your config of mods online at same time as you could be hard.

on a lihter note how do you get both the debris field and weapon team colour mod working at the same time as each other (or does that involve making a combo mod?)

Tyler made one in one of the threads, can't remember which one. It's near the bottom of the thread though.
posted on June 4th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Oh yah, Fleet Operations doesn't have selectable filters so you can play multiple mods at once.  I guess that would be a deterrent.  Make mod filters so that the host can choose which mods to use on a per-game basis.  Of course, you'll have to combine them somehow.  Probably with a sort order.

Forgot about that.  By the way:
Clintsat wrote:Well, Fleet Ops is not a racing simulator.  It's a strategy game.  Strategy games take time to learn and master.

It also takes time to master racing simulators.  And it has to be done on a per track, per vehicle basis.  Do you think they are easy?  Fleet Operations can be learned much more quickly than a racing simulator.  Especially if the physics throws you for a loop.  It may not be a racing simulator, but the mod manager is similar to that of a racing simulator.  Thus the comparison.

Boggz wrote:Translation:

Your mod is a tributary of another mod.  History and
Simple research will show you that no splitoff of a splitoff will ever gain the notoriety of the latter easily.

Not true.

Boggz wrote:Yours are nonexception :(.  Also consider that you try and create sub-mods / addons (enough tobwarrant your own threads), so people will naturally assume that the effort put in to each one will be only a fraction of the effort put into the original ( in this case a consistently updated mod).

I put a lot of effort in the Buildable Warp-Ins mod to make sure that the Federation stays balanced to not even get the courtousey of having a few test games.  Plus, my mod only had 1 bug when it was released, which was fixed quickly.

Blade wrote:I tend to mod for myself but do like to try and keep balance

I try and keep my mods balanced as well.

I don't mind if I don't see a Buildable Warp-Ins mod in use online as long as I see at least one game up that has a mod in use!  Anything that is non-cosmetic.
posted on June 4th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Chapman, how did you ensure the buildable warpin mod was balanced?  Did you test galaxy spam vs a borg player, romulan?  Balance isn't just about the numbers...  Buildable warpins provides the feds with several strong counters.  I'm not sure many players that play other races would want to have a game with a fed that suddenly has access to many more ships.  Now, if a mod has goodies for everyone, that might be different.

Anyways, I look forward to trying out some of the mods as the system is refined and the tourneys end.
posted on June 4th, 2011, 4:18 pm
while just adding on one race like feds dsnt have to ruin balance (just more verity of ships which is always fun) adding more races or stuff to all factions would be better i guess
posted on June 4th, 2011, 5:31 pm
I think I only said it was designed to be balanced.  I didn't say it had been tested, but rather, it needs testing.  I've designed it to be balanced, but so far, no one's been willing to help me test it.  Maybe I should host a tournament designed to test the mod.  We can make improvements as we go.

Are there any non-cosmetic mods at all that have been used online without AI?
1, 2, 3