Dear NOOB's

Here you can arrange online encounters and reminisce over past online battles.
1, 2, 3
posted on August 5th, 2011, 2:09 pm
redmanmark86 wrote:for me this works both ways to be honest, i have been in games over the last week with noob's where experienced players have rushed noobs or bullied them when they are being taught a build order or counter, ruining the game for everyone to be honest :/

i laughed a little at the vibration data, im sorry my mind is dirty :)

Lol. Yeah well you know how naughty those lab lassies can be. Unfortunity, we had none of them there. We just had the joy of watching some beams and stuff get excited from a force.

That's a good point with it working both ways. I was watching TNG last night (despite the protests from my gf - but hey, it was RobNight) and it was quoted that it can be just as much fun lossing as it is to win. Because winning at a good challenge is more enjoyable (which is very true). I think we all at times forget this and go for the easy win, even at the expense of the inexperienced.
posted on August 6th, 2011, 5:28 am
redmanmark86 wrote:...
i laughed a little at the vibration data, im sorry my mind is dirty :)

Lord RobRob wrote:Lol. Yeah well you know how naughty those lab lassies can be. Unfortunity, we had none of them there. We just had the joy of watching some beams and stuff get excited from a force...

What kind of lab is that, SERIOUSLY?  :D
posted on August 6th, 2011, 9:22 am
Because winning at a good challenge is more enjoyable (which is very true). I think we all at times forget this and go for the easy win, even at the expense of the inexperienced.

I agree a 100% with you. Some people out there don't or can't see fun in winning or losing a good challenge. All they do is pump out 40 Fedships (because they where not attacked of course), steamrolling anthing in the way, laughing in Teamspeak about others stupidity.
posted on August 6th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Do we / could we have a specified set of mentors or teachers who are actually dedicated to teaching the game to nubcakes such as myself (I have not been brave enough to go online yet)?  I know some people have offered to play a game with some new guys and help them learn how to play, but some sort of dedicated team would be a nice addition (assuming we don't already have one)
posted on August 6th, 2011, 4:02 pm
There is no such team, but I am not sure if it would be possible to create such a thing - people become busy, time zones don't work out, etc.  :blush: Some of us have been helping newbies for years and are always willing to try and find the time to help out, but that is no guarantee. Lately the guide+real life has been consuming my free time, and I haven't been on as often as I would like, for instance  :sweatdrop:
posted on August 6th, 2011, 5:58 pm
After playing against a noob on lan I'm more and more sure we need some advices in the tooltips of every ship.
Size, roll (support or fight) good against (not too complicatet, just long range, short range, small, big, support, high desteny shields, fast tracking scanners... so passives and shiptype) and weak against (same thing). This should be at the tooltip of the ship, so he can see how he could counter.
This would not include specials.
The problem is, if someone is seeking the right counter ingame he is in trouble.
Fleetops becomes more and more complicatet through the pasives and not anybody knows all the counters and passives.
I didn't thougth this is needed. But I noticed that even I have trouble if I'm playing Kling or Dom and after the last patch Borg.
posted on August 7th, 2011, 5:07 pm
redmanmark86 wrote:
personally i think there should be a whole Noob section where they can ask questions and people can get back to them with answer. To avoid confusion no ridiculous debating of counters (and balanace) would be allowed in it, just clear answers.

also i would suggest it has 6 videos stickied (im sure ray320 can help me make these) and the would be what ray320 suggested in terms of setting tunngle/teamspeak and so

Actually Mal and I were working on some tutorial videos, but several things came up and we weren't able to get it underway. :(

redmanmark86 wrote:for me this works both ways to be honest, i have been in games over the last week with noob's where experienced players have rushed noobs or bullied them when they are being taught a build order or counter, ruining the game for everyone to be honest :/

So I take it that you created this thread because of one small accidental mistake on my part :/.
posted on August 7th, 2011, 10:15 pm
funnystuffpictures wrote:Actually Mal and I were working on some tutorial videos, but several things came up and we weren't able to get it underway. :(

So I take it that you created this thread because of one small accidental mistake on my part :/.

Actually funny it had nothing to do with you, i don't even class you a NOOB mate... It was for the spate of NOOB's that joined in two days and needed help :)
posted on August 7th, 2011, 11:01 pm
Hey i just read this thread,

@ mark

The starting strategy for a few races idea to help new guys, that is actually a idea i had a while back, i still may do it, I was kinda hoping more of the race redoes would be out now (to see if there were any major stranges in standard strats) but id still be up for it... maybe
posted on August 7th, 2011, 11:35 pm
All of the starting build orders will change, so don't put things on the backburner because of that - Fleet Ops is always going to be under construction, so it's best to do stuff now, even if it will change later :)
posted on August 8th, 2011, 4:34 am
redmanmark86 wrote:Actually funny it had nothing to do with you, i don't even class you a NOOB mate... It was for the spate of NOOB's that joined in two days and needed help :)

Ok I'm glad to hear that and I am sorry I put you through some pretty boring games. Going through a rough time right now and it sometimes reflects in my gameplay :)
posted on August 22nd, 2011, 12:08 pm
Very helpful advice, mercy. :)
1, 2, 3