The Phalanx

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3
posted on August 21st, 2013, 10:14 pm
Why don't they make the Teutoburg the Risner specific warp in since it is supposedly going to be offensively orientated and the Descent will be Masons warpin since it is defensively orientated. The other two vessels would be the Sovie and the Prometheus or some other ship like the Eximus class which is one of my favorites. :D
posted on August 22nd, 2013, 1:59 am
If the Prometheus class was brought fully into Fleet Ops, I'll eat my hat. At least one of the principle devs has been very consistent in their expression of how much they dislike it.

Phalanx and Sovereign are known to be flagships (Phalanx through this newspost, and Sovereign from past posts by Dominus). These fill the offensive and all-round niches nicely, implying a defensive role for the third. It wouldn't surprise me if the Descent was moved from warp-in to being a buildable flagship, as it's of the requisite power level and will be a Defensive profile vessel in 4.0.
posted on August 22nd, 2013, 3:23 am
Actually I thought that flagship implied it was going to be a warp in. If you can just build it will their be limits on how many then like the Tavaras? And if they are buildable does that mean that warp ins will consist mostly of just weaker ships like when you do the triple warp ins?

I agree with the Prometheus not being a favorite i just named ti because it seems to be popular. I would much rather see the Eximus class as its supposed to be a heavily armed bruiser combat vessel.
posted on August 22nd, 2013, 3:41 am
The newspost directly says there'll be a limit of six flagships total.

As for Eximus vs Prometheus -- to be honest, I'd rather have the canon vessel in Fleet Ops than some fanwank.
posted on August 22nd, 2013, 5:34 am
MadHatter wrote:The newspost directly says there'll be a limit of six flagships total.

As for Eximus vs Prometheus -- to be honest, I'd rather have the canon vessel in Fleet Ops than some fanwank.

You mean like the Teutoburg or the Phalanx? Already lots of noncanon ships in the game so one or two more isn't going to make a difference. And the Eximus is way cooler. http://www.sttff.net/eximius.html
posted on August 22nd, 2013, 6:41 pm
MadHatter wrote:If the Prometheus class was brought fully into Fleet Ops, I'll eat my hat. At least one of the principle devs has been very consistent in their expression of how much they dislike it.

oh, shame if that's the case, i thought the issue was with MVAM, not the look of the ship. if it had a multi-targeting ability or something instead that would be better anyway as MVAM did seem a bit impractical.
posted on August 23rd, 2013, 12:01 am
hellodean wrote:
MadHatter wrote:If the Prometheus class was brought fully into Fleet Ops, I'll eat my hat. At least one of the principle devs has been very consistent in their expression of how much they dislike it.

oh, shame if that's the case, i thought the issue was with MVAM, not the look of the ship. if it had a multi-targeting ability or something instead that would be better anyway as MVAM did seem a bit impractical.

Yeah the whole episode sucked. Really.........only four people on a super expensive prototype vessel. What were they planning on doing if they got boarded by JemHadar when it went into actual combat and if they were going to put more people on board then why would it make any difference if they put extra security on the ship during its shakedown cruise or whatever it was doing. The episode also had Andy Dick who is one of those people that lives up to their name.
posted on September 5th, 2013, 8:57 pm
If the Prome endded up in V4 i would shit bricks that would be awesome cause i started a thread on that and like madhatter said one of the devs was very against it even though i do agree that the mvam is kinda Eh but yea. I think the prome would be cool. it could be the opposite of the defiant and be a beam monster and you could combine the two and make an awesome offensive force.

Getting back on track though i am excited for the new update and i cant wait to c all of the over hauls that are being done expecially on the phalanx i really like the ship but dont tend to build it cause they tend to die way to easily. but if you keep on alive and vet it well its a monster.

Again great work to the devs im super excited. :woot:
posted on September 6th, 2013, 1:23 am
Yeah, why do they die so quick. I could swear that they have more defense than the Sovereigns which seem to last forever. I think the AI targets them right away is probably part of it but even without alot of ships around they just don't seem to take as much punishment.

I don't build them much either but that is because once I get to the point I can build Defiants......that is the ONLY thing that I build. If only I could get Defiants to replace lost mining or repair ships. :ermm:
posted on September 6th, 2013, 2:53 pm
Depends on the AI you're fighting, but generally in 3.2.7 the passives that counter Long ranged ships are more plentiful and stronger than those affecting Medium ranged ships. If you're fighting a Romulan AI, the Norexans it spams are brutal against E2s and Phalanxes.Also the Sovereign gets a damage resistance passive against short ranged vessels, and a strong damage resistance upgrade at the officer ranks, which gives it a stronger ability to absorb fire than the Phalanx in my opinion, second only to the Descent* in the Federation fleet.

* Then again, the Descent has a high defence to start with, has a passive that improves Defence, and its Officer upgrade adds more Defence. It's a huge brick of Hit Points that I'm looking forward to seeing as a Defensive Profile vessel in 4.0.
posted on September 6th, 2013, 3:15 pm
unranked sovvie and phalanx have same def value. but the sovvie has a massively important passive, that really makes it good at absorbing hits.

the phalanx is quite a bit more expensive than the sovvie but as they rank up the sovvie matches the phalanx for defences.

the sovvie is great tank, the phalanx is definitely not a tank. the phalanx has incredible weapons, it is most useful for mopping up small ship spams. against big ships like the norexan, the sovvie is the way to go for sure.
posted on September 6th, 2013, 7:30 pm
I guess that explains it it. I just wasn't impressed with the Phalanx and as you said its expensive to build and dies easily. Once I get Defiants up to the 3/4 rank they get quantum torpedoes and they just rip through everything. Defiants also seem to level up alot quicker than other ships probably because they get most of the kills because of their attack pattern. I do tend to loose a few more Defiants vs an equivalent fleet of Sovies and E2s but the damage output of the Defiants is so much higher that its worth it. Taking on a merciless Dominion with their obscene amount of turrets, perimeter defenses and stations that they build everywhere I will lose more Defiants but I also destroy everything much more quickly than a fleet of Sovereigns. The Defiants are also among the fastest ships so they make the best hit and runs ships.

In a nutshell I love Defiants and wish that Sisko was an avatar and the only ships he built were runabouts and Defiants. :) To compensate for lack of ships you could construct DS9 stations that were accurat to lore statwise, 5000 torpedoes and all that stuff. :sweatdrop:
1, 2, 3