The Phalanx

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3
posted on August 16th, 2013, 12:34 am
Optec wrote:We will definitely be updating the Phalanx model, but we dont yet know if we can make it for the initial 4.0 release, as we have a lot of models to do for new units and effects. If not, it will be in one of the first patches for 4.0 :)

Can't wait till 4.0 comes out as I am really excited about some of the changes including the Feds top tier ships gettings som much need love........it seemed that the Feds and Klingons were running around with crappy ships compared to the Romulans even though the Sovereign went toe to toe with the Scimitar and in DS9 the Neghvar was portrayed as big ass ship that ripped through DS9 shields with their big ass cannons of big assness.

If nothing else could someone post a walkthrough or FAQ of basic modding for this game. I tried to swap out the models for the Teutoburg (did I mention that it was my favorite model in the game) for the Phalanx but I have no idea where to begin.
posted on August 16th, 2013, 9:21 am
nathanj wrote:the Sovereign went toe to toe with the Scimitar.

were we watching the same film, the enterprise was a veteran sovereign, with plot armour, and it never went toe to toe with the scimitar. they even had 2 romulan warbirds helping them, and the fact that shinzon needed picard alive, so was shooting to disable, not kill. after all the fighting was done, the scimitar still had 70% shields. they only won because shinzon was an idiot and let picard ram him.

nathanj wrote:in DS9 the Neghvar was portrayed as big ass ship that ripped through DS9 shields with their big ass cannons of big assness..

they also had a fleet of ships dealing damage alongside them. i peg the neggie as having a bit more overall stats than the sovvie, as it's a warship. obviously with more stats in off than in def.
posted on August 16th, 2013, 1:31 pm
Myles wrote:
nathanj wrote:the Sovereign went toe to toe with the Scimitar.

were we watching the same film, the enterprise was a veteran sovereign, with plot armour, and it never went toe to toe with the scimitar. they even had 2 romulan warbirds helping them, and the fact that shinzon needed picard alive, so was shooting to disable, not kill. after all the fighting was done, the scimitar still had 70% shields. they only won because shinzon was an idiot and let picard ram him.

nathanj wrote:in DS9 the Neghvar was portrayed as big ass ship that ripped through DS9 shields with their big ass cannons of big assness..

they also had a fleet of ships dealing damage alongside them. i peg the neggie as having a bit more overall stats than the sovvie, as it's a warship. obviously with more stats in off than in def.

The Scimitar was firing on the Enterprise almost uncontested for several minutes and still the Enterprise was fighting. Troi locates them with her empathic voodoo stuff and they disable the Scimitars cloaking device and badly damage it with one volley. It kept fighting on some more even though virtually all its shields were down. It also sliced the Scimitar in half when it rammed it meanwhile most of the Sovereign remained in tact. I would say that if you removed the cloaking advantage the the Sovereign would easily have outgunned the Scimitar. The two Romulan ships were basically cannon fodder as he took them out like a girl scout beating up an elephant.

The Neghvar was holding back until they realized that DS9s defenses were holding and then it moved in and with their bigass cannons they took out DS9s shields with one volley. No one does bigass weapons like the Klingons.
posted on August 16th, 2013, 2:11 pm
How does a Sovereign outgun a ship with enough weapons for 3 Sovereigns? Also, I'm not sure making part of the nose flatter really counts as cutting it in half...
posted on August 16th, 2013, 2:48 pm
nathanj wrote:The Scimitar was firing on the Enterprise almost uncontested for several minutes and still the Enterprise was fighting. .

1) firing while cloaked. maybe they fire more when not cloaked.
2) picard dies = shinzon dies. shinzon didn't actually want the enterprise destroyed (the writers even made a huge point of having shinzon exposit this fact in dialogue at the start of the big fight). those romulan ships didn't last very long.

nathanj wrote: Troi locates them with her empathic voodoo stuff and they disable the Scimitars cloaking device and badly damage it with one volley.

tell me how 70% shields is "badly damaged". the scimitar still had all its weapons working. the only thing it lost was the cloak. which is designed to NOT be shot at. that was after the enterprise fired every single photon torpedo it had (i'm presuming quantums were gone as well, as they didn't even consider firing them), more than one volley, and still 70% shields left. this was after the romulan ships were both disabled and before the ram.

nathanj wrote:It also sliced the Scimitar in half when it rammed it meanwhile most of the Sovereign remained in tact.

seriously, have you even watched this film? the enterprise was missing a large chunk of the saucer section, and the scimitar had a giant gash in the front of it. both ships were disabled (with the exception of shinzon's death ray), probably because neither was designed for ramming. the scimitar wasn't "sliced in half", the scimitar doesn't have mvam.

nathanj wrote:I would say that if you removed the cloaking advantage the the Sovereign would easily have outgunned the Scimitar.

then you'd be locked away for being insane. even after at least 2 volleys (seen on screen) of quantums, multiple volleys of photons, loads of phasers, at least dozens (seen on screen) of romulan disruptor shots, the scimitar still had 70% shields. face it, the scimitar is the sort of rubbish you get in shitty fanfiction, an overpowered godship OC with spiky hair that can transform to whatever super saiyan level it needs today. but for some reason it got put in a canon movie. sadly, the sovvie is nowhere near its equal, the scimitar wasn't designed to be equalled.

nathanj wrote:The Neghvar was holding back until they realized that DS9s defenses were holding and then it moved in and with their bigass cannons they took out DS9s shields with one volley. No one does bigass weapons like the Klingons.

go watch that again. watch the battle where an entire klingon fleet fires on ds9, hurting it badly. the neggie just joined in later to add some extra firepower. it was probably taking a back seat role early on to avoid putting unnecessary risk on gowron and martok's life. makes no sense for the commander of an army to ride out in front and die in the first volley of arrows.
posted on August 16th, 2013, 7:03 pm
To clarify the Phalanx is just getting a new model and not a new deisgn right?
posted on August 16th, 2013, 7:38 pm
Myles wrote:blah blah blah

nathanj wrote:blah blah blah

And my Dad can beat up both of your Dads simultaneously! Even if you take his Zimmer frame away and tie one hand behind his back!

In an attempt to get back on-topic, I think the idea of flagships is a good one. I have no idea if Phalanx and Sovereign will be on par with Tavara, and in fact, I doubt they will be. The Tavara isn't the Scimitar, either (Dominus protested most strenuously the last time I drew that comparison, and regardless of my own opinion I'll toe the line on the Devs' private canon).

I do enjoy a canon bunfight (and I confess, I was tempted to join in), but it might be more diplomatic not to hold one in a news thread :)
posted on August 17th, 2013, 2:09 am
MadHatter wrote:
Myles wrote:blah blah blah

nathanj wrote:blah blah blah

And my Dad can beat up both of your Dads simultaneously! Even if you take his Zimmer frame away and tie one hand behind his back!

In an attempt to get back on-topic, I think the idea of flagships is a good one. I have no idea if Phalanx and Sovereign will be on par with Tavara, and in fact, I doubt they will be. The Tavara isn't the Scimitar, either (Dominus protested most strenuously the last time I drew that comparison, and regardless of my own opinion I'll toe the line on the Devs' private canon).

I do enjoy a canon bunfight (and I confess, I was tempted to join in), but it might be more diplomatic not to hold one in a news thread :)

Well just have to agree to disagree on the Nemsis fight then....

What is the Tavara supposed to be then I thought it was the Scimitar......just given a different name so you could built two of them and still be lore friendly being that the Scimitar was a one off ship.

And my dad could beat up your dad because my dad was Australian. The official motto of Australian rules football is "Pads are for pussies". Also, the average Australian is kicked by 1.3 kangaroos and bitten by 2.5 poisonous snakes every week.
posted on August 17th, 2013, 3:13 am
:lol:

0.3 kangaroo So even unborn is kicking australien regularly....

0.5 snake So poor snake, big mouth and only one tooth......
btw when snake bites australien, after two weeks of incredible pain snake dies....

LOL. sorry i couldnt resist..... :D :thumbsup:

Second, which ship is best ?
You remind me one joke about submarines..., forgive me my english...

Europe , present time, somewhere near sea are standind USA president, Russia presidend , and German minister Merkel .
Putin : Our nuclear submarines can stay submerged 3 months, and go twice around world.
Obama : Phe, our nuclear submarines can stay submerged 1 year, and go 10 times around world.
And Merkel stay ashamed, silent, no nuclear submarine, not one..... , in that moment sea starts bubling heavily, several oil bubles apeare, old , rusty , dirty U-Boat rising from ocean with swastica on her side, hatch is opening, ugly devil apears and with perfect german language asks : F*** , We require some diesel fuell and any torpedos you can spare !

Moral of this story, not ships, but the crew makes a Legend. 8)
posted on August 17th, 2013, 3:58 am
The lore behind Fleet Ops and the many ships and tech that have been brought to life through this game were mostly conceived of and written down years prior to the end of Voyager and thus a good many years before Nemesis :) . Of course, our lore is always being added to and we like to include references from the shows that both predate and follow the creation of the Fleet Ops universe.

That being said, the only time you'll see a reference to the Scimitar in Fleet Ops is some cannon fodder Remans and perhaps a nasty overpowered NPC ;).

The V4 Sovereign and Phalanx aren't comparable to the Tavara - it's hard to explain with the framework of 3.2.7 being the only available source, but the Federation flagships are just that. They are the crown piece of a Federation armada - something that makes your other ships work better together and be a more effective -erm- exploration force. They are powerful in their own right, but they don't accomplish deeds that ring true through the centuries. The Tavara is your hero, if you will. A ship that you must manage carefully on its own and which requires you to sacrifice fleet effectiveness to use. Remember, if you succeed, the Praetor will be pleased ;)
posted on August 18th, 2013, 9:04 pm
As a fellow Risner player i love that the phalanx is being upgraded. one of my fav federation ships! look forward to V4! amazing work guys!! :D :thumbsup: :woot:
posted on August 19th, 2013, 5:49 pm
Someone should make a forum topic containing all the news up until now so we can begin grasping how certain races will play out.
posted on August 20th, 2013, 9:52 am
Am I correct to assume there are going to be 2 universal flagships: One cheap and (relatively) low-tech one like E2 perhaps and one hi-tech like Sovie, the third one is avatar specific?
posted on August 21st, 2013, 7:24 am
Zweistein000 wrote:Am I correct to assume there are going to be 2 universal flagships: One cheap and (relatively) low-tech one like E2 perhaps and one hi-tech like Sovie, the third one is avatar specific?

I would postulate that all flagships will be pretty high tech, but I agree that the third will probably be avatar specific. If I had to guess what the second flagship would be I would guess that it would be something like the Decent.
posted on August 21st, 2013, 9:28 pm
i would have a guess that the third could be the Prometheus-class.

as the Descent and Teutoburg are likely to remain warp-ins.

or its a new ship?
1, 2, 3