Impact!

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 2:34 pm
Last edited by mimesot on February 2nd, 2010, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Especially the last points would require a physics engine like Crysis  :D

Nevertheless i agree with you that as much as possible should be realised. I must also say that balancing should have a much higher priority than eyecandy.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 2:39 pm
Well I think everybody would like those implemented Sheva, BUT consider 2 things. The A2 engine was not made to create many of those effects and if it could do that consider the strain on some dinosaur computers (*cough* boggz *cough* :P :D) when large fleets clash...
Though if possible, Id absolutely love to see those ingame - but with a possible ON and OFF option :)
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 2:41 pm
The Defiant one is easy, but doesn't seem like it's gonna be done in the near future.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 5:05 pm
-=B!G=-The Black Baron wrote:r the strain on some dinosaur computers (*cough* boggz *cough* :P :D) when large fleets clash...

Hahaha!  :D

To be honest: the weapon effects will not likely strain my computer that much.  For me the real difficulty lies in loadup and such.  Nice to know that people are aware of my *cough* condition *cough* :lol:.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 5:23 pm
I'd love it if beam weapons were generally thinner than they are now. I'd love it if you could put in the phaser charging effect across the array as well but I can see how that might be a bit difficult.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 5:29 pm
The Phaser charging effect fits well into games like BC where you'll see it rather clearly, but in FO it wouldn't really be worth it for something that won't even be visible unless you zoomed in during a battle.

Beam width should vary by empire.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 7:04 pm
looks gr8 guys another winner
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 4:36 am
Oooh. 
As far as performance issues go, I'm running this game/mod on a 'compooter-matic' I bought from an electronics recycling depot for $60.  And so far, it seems to work fine, though it was lagging a bit on larger battles, so I turned down the graphics to medium.
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 9:32 am
Well, I dont think that the new graphics will utterly slow down the performance. You mainly edit the grahics to a more realistic thing instead of changing the whole engine.

The points I told... well, I dont know if it is possible to add traces of weaponfire on the hull, but if so, there are very efficient ways to do that, that dont consume much processing units.

For example: If you want a trace of a laser cutting through the hull, you can make the region simply darker. If you want to make a hole in the hull, you can exchange a point of the hull from the normal one to a "hole" one (so you can look into it with maybe one or two blinking lights that comes from defect systems)

The weapon sprites itself are just editing and I dont think, that it will cost much more processing power. Only the work on the models to add... or better to say erase sections from the hull might be a bit of work through the fact, that it must be implemented for every ship.

Anyone knows Klingon Academy? Remember the damage there? Breaking apart sections, hull plates, shooting holes in them, seeing plasma coming out of it and so on... And it was able to run on a Win 95 PC with 120 MHz.
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 10:13 am
Last edited by Optec on February 3rd, 2010, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
actually the weapons and explosions are no longer simple sprites, and they will take a bit more performance, but shuldn't end in giant slow downs
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 11:55 am
Looking good almost reminds me of Rake's weapons textures for A1 but better!
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 12:17 pm
I think thats the mein problem: traving weaponfire. In ST Armada it is just calculatet if a shot hits or not, at launch of the weapon as far as i know. The subsystem damage is also only probabilistic.
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 9:54 pm
Well, My junker's upgradeable.  And to anyone else running a computer in need of a refit, check your nearest electronics recycling depot.  If they have a refurbishing program, they'll have some hardware techs on staff (hopefully), and could provide you with ridiculously inexpensive upgrades.
posted on February 5th, 2010, 12:19 am
As promised, a first shot of the new Klingon weaponry, as you might notice, we changed them to the Deep Space Nine colors

Klingon Bird of Preys in action
posted on February 5th, 2010, 12:35 am
Gorgeous  :wub: - much prettier than that yellow stuff  :blush: . So what do the Romies get, eh? :D
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9