Impact!

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9
posted on February 1st, 2010, 10:37 pm
Wow, those are nice.

I never really liked the white chunky, wispy effect currently in the game

Attachments

FOScreenShot_100121_203829.png
posted on February 1st, 2010, 10:38 pm
I actually like those for the Borg beams (as I feel those have larger effect from Borg beams) but these new ones are definitely a welcome improvement :thumbsup:.
posted on February 1st, 2010, 10:51 pm
Those screens look awesome, cant wait.

Also hope the system requirements are not raised by too much.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 12:59 am
They look nice, yep. But as Jan and Dom already said - for effects it would probably be better to see them ingame or in a vid, cause its hard to judge from images :D
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 1:07 am
Can this mod possibly look any more beautiful? Just when I think it can't you guys inject something like this to prove me wrong. This game looks like something that would be released today rather then 2001. Simply amazing.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 1:23 am
considering the space art is the same in beta 2 it can only get better from here TUN :woot:
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 1:24 am
Wow, seriously, I was NOT expecting new info on a patch. Just when you think you've got the FO team figured, they show you that they've got you figured...kinda...creepy...
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 1:41 am
Looks really awesome.  :thumbsup:

One question though ... will you upgrade the graphics menu to switch on/off various effects. I believe with invention of more and more eyecandy some computers will get into trouble some day.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 2:13 am
KICK ASS!!!!!! :woot:

But I agree with others..screenshots dont do that justice we want video!!. I was thinking yesterday about this exact kind of wishful improvement and here you guys have implemented it!!!

This mod further surprises me and excites me!! Thank you for making my day brighter!!
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 2:54 am
Woo finally back after 4 months without internet :)

Will you be bringing in damaged ship models like there used to be in Armada 2, such as one or both the nacelles leaking antimatter or whatever it is, several areas of ships on fire or even with areas blown open?

I would also like to see the directors cut option or some attack patterns put back in, one can only hope :D

Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 3:09 am
Bigmachk wrote:Woo finally back after 4 months without internet :)

Will you be bringing in damaged ship models like there used to be in Armada 2, such as one or both the nacelles leaking antimatter or whatever it is, several areas of ships on fire or even with areas blown open?

I would also like to see the directors cut option or some attack patterns put back in, one can only hope :D

Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

As for why Director's Cut and attack patterns will take a lot of time...  :sweatdrop:

Why aren't formations from Armada II or the Director's Cut from Armada I present?

The Armada I “Director’s Cut” was a nice addition, but the coding was modified/removed for Armada II. Consequently the developer’s possibilities are quite limited in this situation. DOca Cola has played around a bit to get that feature back in Armada II, as it basically is in the formations menu where you can select an attack pattern that is exactly the movement you have from Armada I. Although he made a rough implementation, it would need a lot more tweaking and testing before it is really usable again. Formation attack patterns (like the clover leaf) would be possible, but they don't work with Fleet Operations currently and are not programmed that well in Armada II in the first place. Thus the only other option is to use the different movement autonomies (which have been enhanced) to set up AI scripts for your vessels. Eventually there will be additional "normal" formations, but the developer’s are not sure if the original ones will find their way back in.

Besides the programming issues, there are also gameplay problems. Ships in these formations or under the influence of the “Director’s Cut” would start moving in to attack other vessels and so lose the advantage of long range weaponry. It also makes your ships harder to control and more frustrating. Seeing your small vessels fly to an enemy because of a "coolness move" and then come into the weapon range of an Outpost is not that cool if they could have stayed out of range and killed the opponent there. As a consequence, a better fighting/movement system is on the “to do” list, but it will take quite a while.

I'm sure that damaged ship models will make an entrance again :)

Welcome back Bigmachk  :thumbsup:
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 5:23 am
so does this mean that explosions when ships get destroyed are changed at all?

those shots look real good, cant wait to see it in game
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 5:41 am
Will they have the red aleart again, and more damage shown to the ships, like once before.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 6:09 am
if u want the attack patterns from a2 back i  then they are easily able to be remodded back in but i do believe that they have plans to improve them cud be wrong tho
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 2:19 pm
Well, if you are working on it, now you mention it, I see some things that could really be better:

1.) Torpedos should have tiny star like peaks around them which are rotating. Also It would be cool, if they fluctuate a litte in their lightning.
The impact animation is claer, I think we shouldnt talk about that.

2.) The phasers up until now are too big when firing from the hull, you also see no "uploading" effects. The phaser-line itself is too unmodulated and also too thick.
The impact of a phaser shouldnt be right on a certain place on the hull, it should be toggling around a certain place on the hull. It looks more like a tractor beam and not like a weapon, that searches for the enemy.

3.) Pulse weapons like the ones from the defiant should be fired like in the shows. 4 short ranged, uber-fast and detonating pulses with a nice impact. The animation up until now is in my opinion pretty fine, but I think, the could be optimized also a little bit.

4.) What about hull plates that go away when hitting the enemy hull by torps, black lines on the impact positions of phasers and a few holes created by all kinds of weapons?

5.) Can the enemy ship, when hit be shaking a bit? Also losing some sections could be cool. The loss of a warp gondel, a turret, hull segments and so on.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9