KA2: Empire at War 1.2 beta

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18
posted on December 10th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Install STA2 Classic Mod, which I think has it's own installer and ergo is simple
Go to mod folder. Copy and paste STA2 Classic Folder
Rename the copied folder from "STA2 Classic - Copy" to "CutDown"
Open this folder
Delete the textures folder
Open the Replacement Textures RAR file
Copy and paste the textures folder from here to the CutDown folder

Now run the KA2 Installer. Again, a simple windows installer.
posted on December 10th, 2012, 7:04 pm
when I launch the mod from fo options it does nothing how am i going wrong? :(
posted on December 10th, 2012, 8:51 pm
Adam_C wrote:when I launch the mod from fo options it does nothing how am i going wrong? :(

Did you install KA2 in it's own mod folder or in the Cutdown folder? I think the KA2 mod needs to be in a separate folder from cutdown (Cutdown is just the parent mod, not KA2)
posted on December 10th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Correct. I had thought that was a given. But yes, both mods need to be in their own folder in the mod folder (so your mod folder should have STA2 Classic, CutDown and KA2 folders in it)
posted on December 10th, 2012, 11:25 pm
i'll let ya know if i ever work this out, i added the sta2 mod to the mods folder nothing happened.. i think i know where im going wrong.. will take time though
posted on December 11th, 2012, 11:31 pm
Installed and had a look at it. You've got some good polish on that mod. Very different pace of play compared to Fleet Ops and even SFC. Nice to see ships having something approaching the level of armament they would have, too.

One thing I would consider changing as and when you get time is to not rely on acronyms in the tooltips. I couldn't find everything in the Fed tech tree -- you may not have it implemented yet, though -- and it was difficult to remember what researched what.
posted on December 12th, 2012, 12:08 am
There is a reason for that Madhatter :) I originally had the long names listed, but I found it crashed the tech tree viewer in A2. FleetOps has removed that functionality so I may either rename them back to long names, or just name them "Sensor I" "Sensor II" etc and leave the wordy techy description in the tooltip for the research project itself.

Everything up to the Hydrans is implemented, so it was just my hackish work around that cause you strife :) Generally, I've linked things to weapon, sensor and engine research upgrades. As a work around for now, if you get stuck, open the tech tree :) I've tried to label all my coding work so that it makes sense to anyone reading it (I am a bit fastidious like that, I like my mod to be neat on the outside and the inside :) )
posted on December 12th, 2012, 3:38 am
Ahh, fair enough. I hadn't made that connection.

Please get some more feedback than mine before making the final decision, but I think that making research names simpler is something to consider doing.

As for the tech tree -- can I understand, then, that the final Fed tech building (the one that uses the Manheim Temporal Research Center model) is just built as an unlock? It doesn't do anything else for me.
posted on December 12th, 2012, 12:14 pm
Yup, it's simply a prerequisite for the two Yamato Class research projects. It's there to pad out the research times and such so it takes a little longer for the Federation to get to the Yamato, as it is their super ship really.
posted on December 30th, 2012, 9:20 pm
Quick update for everyone. I have uploaded an addendum to the KA2 manual featuring the new Hydran side. Lots of backstory in there for you all. Currently awaiting auth on ModdB, but I always keep another copy on my Mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4wnc41adpat88pe

Enjoy!
posted on January 19th, 2013, 8:11 pm
A few more Terran Designs i've resurrected from my HDD. Remade them using the models that are currently in KA2. My texturing has gotten better since then too so these are vastly improved over my original iterations.

Imperial Legionary Class Frigate (TeFF) , I.S.S. Auxilia NCC-158

Imperial Tempest Class Light Cruiser (TeCL) I.S.S. Sycorax NCC-1866

Imperial Conflagration Class Heavy Cruiser (TeCA) I.S.S. Infernus NCC-1758
posted on January 21st, 2013, 9:04 pm
Even though I don't like the Terran Empire that much but those ships look cool. Red Warp nacelles and blue Impulse thrusters. Nice job. very uniqe.
posted on January 21st, 2013, 10:56 pm
Oddly enough, they usually aren't my favourite either :lol: I mean, lore wise and everything. Their ships are interesting slants on familiar designs though.

The Terrans in KA2 will have more of a backstory and such, rather than being 2d moustache twiddling "muahhahh" evil bad guys.
posted on January 21st, 2013, 11:42 pm
Well, some of the terran empire fans would love your work ignoring that you don't realy like the Te that much.

By the way, how are the Lyrans coming along. I would love to watch them, if possible play them. My version of your mod
(1.2) is not behaving. when I select a unit, the game crashes. but it does play and the factions do tech and battle (sort of
like idiots oh well) but I can't minipulat my forces. I have to be an observer to entertain myself. Very, Good mod.

P.S. I want to grow up to make games. RTS games to be exact.
posted on January 22nd, 2013, 12:18 am
The FleetOps version is doing that? Weeeird. Does it do it with all sides, ships, stations etc or is it certain units?

Work on the Lyrans is at the sort of gathering stage :) I have my idea down on paper, albeit subject to change, and I know what models I need, so I'm currently finding, kitbashing, retexturing etc things that will fit the gaps :)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18