Fleet Operations: The Final Frontier Official Thread

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
posted on July 7th, 2009, 4:16 am
is the "Global Experince" now or would you have to trick the system to get it to work.
posted on July 7th, 2009, 6:21 am
At this point, no you can't have global experience to my knowledge.
I'd have to think about being able to research the ability to build veterans straight out of the yards, it would take a lot of work.
What if you were able to "buy" one or two ship designs from a research station so that you could get access to large ships if neccesary (and jump ahead in the techtree some)?
posted on July 7th, 2009, 8:39 am
Some ideas:

Gaining new ship classes as old ones level up sound great, but other people have pointed out concerns, especially against the borg. What if there was another way to level up, like by buying ranks. This could be made fairly expensive to encourage players to gain new ship classes through combat, but would still give the player an out if they are having a hard time leveling up ships in the traditional manner.

Af far as this mod goes, I hope for three things:

Quality
Becoming an official race for FO
Featuring the Hutet class from Domwars.
posted on July 7th, 2009, 6:55 pm
i have complete confidence that RCIX will make a good mod; i too though, think it'd be cool to see possibly the Hutet battleship in fleet ops. i think, that the building veteran-ships out of a shipyard could be the strength of the Cardassians. or, make it so that one could buy rank...  :shifty:
posted on July 7th, 2009, 7:21 pm
Buying rank is a ferengi thing. As for auto-veteran ships? That is a terrible gimmick for one side. That would ruin it for me heh. Theres absolutely nothing that makes the cardassians always have veterans in the  the lore for them. I like the Hutet design its pretty awesome i agree.
posted on July 8th, 2009, 1:06 am
hurleybird wrote:Some ideas:

Gaining new ship classes as old ones level up sound great, but other people have pointed out concerns, especially against the borg. What if there was another way to level up, like by buying ranks. This could be made fairly expensive to encourage players to gain new ship classes through combat, but would still give the player an out if they are having a hard time leveling up ships in the traditional manner.

Af far as this mod goes, I hope for three things:

Quality
Becoming an official race for FO
Featuring the Hutet class from Domwars.

I think we're planning on offering the ability to buy ranks (for all races in fact) at some point.
Hutet? no comment.
posted on July 8th, 2009, 1:46 am
RCIX wrote:I think we're planning on offering the ability to buy ranks (for all races in fact) at some point.
Hutet? no comment.

Cool. No comment as in "this is a sarcastic way of saying no" or no comment as in "maybe, maybe not"?
posted on July 8th, 2009, 2:12 am
The latter. :D
posted on July 8th, 2009, 2:40 am
RCIX wrote:The latter. :D

oooo... suspence!
posted on July 9th, 2009, 12:37 pm
Dominus_Noctis wrote:The against the Borg issue was only the biggest problem I could see: since leveling up is kind of random, this would make it very difficult/unpredictable to play as Cardassians. I look forward to seeing what you can come up with though :)

I really like this ranking up research idea. Perhaps to solve the Borg problem there could be a Central command building that would construct veteran ships and perhaps be able to warp them in, but would consume x amount of officers each time; who would have to be trained at a Cardassian barracks. Think the ds9 station, with the option to upgrade to a command facility, which would then be able to build lightly shielded scaffolds at its docking ports where the veteran ships would slowly be built, like how the Terrans were able to build a Defiant after capturing that station in the alternate dimension thing.      :)
posted on July 9th, 2009, 12:43 pm
A terrain race, or avatar would be amazing.  I don't know about warping in vets, though.  Maybe for borg, but not cardies.  Definitally not cardies.
posted on July 9th, 2009, 1:06 pm
Adm. Zaxxon wrote:A terrain race, or avatar would be amazing.  I don't know about warping in vets, though.  Maybe for borg, but not cardies.  Definitally not cardies.

Well I really like the idea of having to have veterans before making the next ship type. But this wouldn’t work against the Borg and would hinder turtleing, so I thought we could have the ability to obtain a veteran by accumulating officers, very slowly at a barracks then be able to build a limited amount of veteran ships at the command station or warp them in. Hence we could have the option to assign a Gull to a Gallor class Command ship at x officers, warp him and his ship in at x3 officers or obtain one by promoting a ship in combat.
So in ideal circumstances we could just hope to gain them in combat, but at a pinch we could still survive against the Borg, or replace them if lost, but at a high price since the officers would accumulate so slowly.  We could also have the ability to assign officers to stations to boost their offensive and defensive capabilities, again for a lot of a resource that would be replenished unhurriedly.  :)
posted on July 9th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Hey RCIX how goes? Any progress?
posted on July 9th, 2009, 7:39 pm
Well, Garak, That would be cool, but a little too much like star craft. ^-^
posted on July 9th, 2009, 11:18 pm
Its coming a long a bit slowly. Still thinking on how to best fix this problem with my tech idea.
In other news, you can find our message board at moddingcenteral.proboards.com/index.cgi, please visit often!
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6