Fleet Operations: Tactical Maneuvers

I want my 15 rapid-fire quantum torpedo launchers Uber-Defiant now! - Get help from modders. Share your work. Discuss modifications.
1, 2
posted on May 10th, 2024, 3:25 pm
We've had cases of antiviruses falsely detecting Fleet Ops as malware in the past, because of the way it uses dlls. To my knowledge there should be nothing wrong with the folder I sent, but I'm curious if your antivirus pointed to a specific file?

TM is not Roots, it simply shares the executable and dlls that Jan B has been working on.
posted on May 13th, 2024, 6:03 am
Malwarebytes found it at the main exe of the mod.

Attachments

fleetops-malware.jpg
fleetops-malware.jpg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 167 times
posted on May 16th, 2024, 11:37 am
So with regard to roots and fleet Operations, why was ship warp and map depth pretty much removed from the game?

I am curious as to the specific coding challenge of these issues or philosophy of why they weren't included in the mods.
posted on May 17th, 2024, 12:21 am
yantisren wrote:So with regard to roots and fleet Operations, why was ship warp and map depth pretty much removed from the game?

I am curious as to the specific coding challenge of these issues or philosophy of why they weren't included in the mods.

From the FAQ section under the Guide tab above:
http://guide.fleetops.net/guide/faq/gam ... d-features
posted on May 17th, 2024, 11:20 am
Hrmmm. Interesting. Thought that woulda changed by this year.

Ill look into the full conversion mod for Sins of a Solar Empire.
posted on May 18th, 2024, 6:00 pm
Short answer:

gameplay.

Long answer:

I don't think anything was changed to disable warp. Some ships in the original A2 didn't have warp and that was set in their physics odf files, Fleet Ops and Roots just expanded that to all ships, but the A2 Classic Mod has warp and that works just fine with the Fleet Ops and Roots engines. Warp was a pain because you could always use it to just jump your fleet into the middle of an enemy base, take out an important target and jump out again, that kinda ruined the gameplay a lot in the original A2: base defenses or ambushes were pretty much useless.

Maps with depth had a similar problem (they're disabled through a setting in RTS_CFG.h, and can still be enabled). Base defenses and map objects don't work well with them, you would need more of a homeworld-style game engine, with mobile bases (and no base defenses) and very slow gameplay so the depth stuff doesn't take up the majority of the player's attention. Problem is Star Trek canonically has immobile starbases, shipyards, and research stations, and in the shows defense works out because weapon ranges are very long, but the game wouldn't work well if weapons ranges were longer than the player's field of view on the screen and map depth so deep that you can't visually see enemy ships that move below or above your base to get behind it.
posted on May 19th, 2024, 10:31 am
Ya, i guess thats understandable for the overall engine/ base coding for A2 for the year.

But .. damm guys. I personally would pay $100 USD for a star trek aramda 3 with the fleet OPS/Roots models and tech trees but with fixed ( no curving warp)

Guess Ill just pipe that away into the fever dream delusion box.
1, 2