Borg Space

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
1, 2, 3, 4
posted on August 15th, 2010, 9:19 pm
The title says it all.  You are right in the middle of Borg space with 6 other players.  The objective:  Eliminate your opponent before the Borg destroy you.  Maybe this map isn't such a good idea, however, I thought I'd give it a shot.  During the alpha test, I accidentally set the AI built time and cost multipliers to 0.05 and I had to use the cheat code to destroy the in-coming Borg vessels.  Set the AI multipliers to 2.0x or everyone will be destroyed before they encounter the other players on the map.

Attachments

borg_space.PNG
borg_space.zip
(87.24 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
posted on August 15th, 2010, 9:33 pm
Looks promising,ill try it later :P
posted on August 15th, 2010, 11:20 pm
It's extremely challenging.  Here are some basic rules I've discovered for this map.

Don't go it alone, especially if you are on the right hand side of the map.
Keep the AI build modifiers as high as possible or the Borg will build ships faster than you can counter them and you (as well as any other AI on the map) will be decimated into the next millennium.
posted on August 18th, 2010, 5:43 am
looks like a nice map to play with other players or against ai see if you can defeat 2x ai's lol
posted on August 18th, 2010, 12:48 pm
I'm thinking of making another version of the map.  Right now, the AI, if placed in some locations, will try to expand into a location without properly dealing with those turrets first.
posted on August 20th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Looks cool :). out of interest what team did you set the Borg to? I have a similar Borg map but they don't do a whole lot, indicating a slight boo boo on the AI's part. Alas, it is a low priority map so I never got round to fixing it.

Also, I am glad to see you hosted on Astro too; the page is good! :D
posted on August 20th, 2010, 9:58 pm
The AI is forced team 8, but I could never actually side with the Borg even when choosing team 8.  I have placed Borg stations for both the Optimize and Assimilate avatars, but only the Assimilate avatar seems to be in use.
posted on August 20th, 2010, 10:38 pm
I have updated the map.  The AI are now less likely to expand to other areas of the map before dealing with the defense turrets.  I have moved the starting resource pairs closer together.
posted on August 21st, 2010, 11:18 am
TCR_500 wrote:I have placed Borg stations for both the Optimize and Assimilate avatars, but only the Assimilate avatar seems to be in use.

That may well solve the issue with my non responsive Borg :D. I tend to just use Opty Borg when placing them.
posted on August 21st, 2010, 11:23 am
The Borg aren't programmed to use the Optimize avatar, so that's best for when you don't want them expanding.
posted on August 22nd, 2010, 5:00 pm
I played the old version and liked it very much. Had some hell of a fun playing it, took me about two hours to take out the borg, 3 doms and 3 klings I had to join my fight :)
posted on August 24th, 2010, 3:44 pm
Well, the 1.0 and 1.1 versions are linked on this page at Astrometrics.  I have also made a 1.2 update that fixes a few imbalance problems and reduces the threat level of the Borg slightly.
posted on August 24th, 2010, 4:44 pm
make the map SMALLER!!!!!! , its a decent idea but the map is just way too big ecen for an 8vs8 map which doesnt exist but even if it were for this it would be too big.

It take too long to get from one side of the map to the other, it takes 3-5 mins just to reach the base next to you.
posted on August 24th, 2010, 5:17 pm
I actually thought about making the map smaller.  Although, I would have to reposition every resource and many nebulae.
posted on August 25th, 2010, 10:57 am
Maybe not every resource. If you just reduce the map size to an appropriate size, the game wil move everything automatically. I've found that usually the only things that need to be moved are asteroids around tight entry ways to make them widerm or moons that were too close to asteroids.

If anything it would be a great opportunity to remove some excess map objects and lighten the system requirements for playing the map :D
1, 2, 3, 4