Suggestions

guide.fleetops.net
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on May 19th, 2010, 2:07 pm
Interesting thought. Seems really complex, but something to think about far in the future  :blush:

At the moment I've started putting up "counter tables" in the Unit Analyses which list the vessels that counter another based on passives, weapon type, miss chance etc. :)
posted on May 19th, 2010, 5:09 pm
Last edited by Anonymous on May 19th, 2010, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those counter tables are wicked, thanks for those.

EDIT: How about the equivalent table telling you what NOT to attack with those units? I mean I guess one could use the other races tables but it might be nice to have it in a similar place. Just a thought, I'm not even sure if that's a good idea myself yet :P
posted on May 19th, 2010, 5:24 pm
Hehe, no problem, just keep in mind they're still in progress (  B) ) - that's why I didn't quite announce them yet (as there will be units not listed since it takes a while to analyze/test and recall each) :) Eventually they will have mouse over popups with the pictures of the units, and I suppose a link to the anti counter could indeed be useful. I didn't want to put too much information on one page, so I'm not sure how to organize it yet  :sweatdrop:

I also added some turret analyses there too, but still haven't completely updated everything  :blush: . That'll come after my last final :)
posted on May 19th, 2010, 7:29 pm
Okay cool, btw I have some nitpicking (read: Grammar Naziing), like I did for your old edition of the guide :P

Again, very minor things:

In the description of the Bortas Advanced Cloak, you don't mention it is immune to normal pings

And also the Assimilator is no longer the first fully customizable ship. :P
posted on June 13th, 2010, 7:59 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on June 14th, 2010, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dom Edit:///Topics Merged

I know noone  (almost) ever plays as Assimilate avatar but could you provide info on where to go after the Assims? Holding spheres or spam assims for crew stripping? Naturally it's pyramids and while 4 holding beams can actially assimilate almost anything they need, they're increadibly frail and expensive to-boot so not really good choice but you can't just skip to cubes either. WELP!  :crybaby:
posted on June 14th, 2010, 2:08 am
I actually put up one strategy of when to start into Assimilators up a day ago in the Assimilate Directive strategy section :) .

The decision of when to go with "Spheres or spam Assims" is entirely up to what ships you are facing however, and that is best addressed in the Unit Analysis section for the Borg. If you tell me more specifically what sort of information you are searching for I can add that in of course, but the decision to change chassis and module choices is best addressed in the Unit Analyses. That being said, I will try to flesh out more in the Strategy section of when to build what ships, but because gameplay is much more fluid, there is no set types of ships you should be using after that initial build order (which is discussed in the Avatar specific strategies) :)
posted on July 17th, 2010, 5:26 pm
I really feel now that the page for each avatar aren't really necessary. When looking at your favourite faction for strategies, you have to trawl through almost twice as much text as you need to because many strategies apply to both avatars, and of course the text that tells you what you start with is also repeated.

I think it would be much simpler just to have one page per faction listing all the viable builds/strastegies, with both avatar desriptions at the top and have a picture of the relevant avatar(s) next to each strat they apply to (to make them a bit more colourful).
posted on July 17th, 2010, 5:41 pm
Interesting thought: the issue is two-fold however.

Although some build orders do repeat, there are several that have slight differences due to cost structures etc. Although at the moment I have not expanded on that well at all, I will now begin to do so since we are hitting more stability in build orders, and I want to make sure that people have access to the most reliable and efficient information. I hope this is satisfactory. I understand that a lot of the general strategies do overlap, I just started noticing that some people never ever visit the other avatar, so I wanted to keep all information localized  :sweatdrop: . Do you think that is reasonable?  :blush:

Secondedly, the Redo (yes, it is far away) will have somewhat different technology trees per faction, and I'd like to keep the structure of the guide relatively stable until then.
posted on July 18th, 2010, 11:50 am
Yeah, sorry about posting in the wrong place, I forget there was a suggestion thread :P

Anyway, maybe you could color code - to the avatars - the differences of the build orders that overlap. That way, even if all the information is on one page, people can easily skim if they are only wanting to play with one avatar.
But yes it does make sense the way you do it, it just makes it a bit more difficult for people who play both avatars to get all the information they need quickly.

I didn't quite understand the last paragraph :/
posted on July 18th, 2010, 6:01 pm
No problemo, that's what I'm here for :D

I assume you are referring to the redo stuff I alluded to :) . The technology trees for each avatar will be different in many cases, so maybe some strategies will work across the board, but probably quite a few will be utterly incompatible. Hypothetically, perhaps for one avatar you require all the yards for Warp In, whereas for another you require just a single yard or something. Or maybe a special building is present, etc :).

In any case although, yes, some build orders are seemingly 'exact copies', if you take a look at the differences in TaQ'roja and Martok build orders there are some fundamental differences due to their cost structures. I guess I'm just a bit confused with the problem - if the information is all on one page doesn't that mean it's more confusing to people who just want to skim if they are playing one avatar? They'd have to re-read several iterations of strategies that are not of their native avatar, and the remaining strategies might have a lot of clarifications there.  :sweatdrop:

For people who play both avatars it is always possible to skip the 'exact copies' using the table of content links, but that depends on assuming that all the strategies are exact copies in fact. Maybe I can put a "duplicate strategy" warning on the ones that are copies  :sweatdrop: .
posted on July 19th, 2010, 8:58 am
Ah yes, now I understand what you mean. When the avatar tech trees are significantly different it wouldn't make sense. Yeah just leave it as it is then, it's still very readable.
posted on July 29th, 2010, 8:51 am
Also, maybe you could list which turrets/(stations?) have which passives in the damage system page where youy list the passives and which ships have them.
posted on July 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Done :)
posted on September 22nd, 2010, 2:58 am
Id like to suggest having a replay section for Yandonman, with all of his replays listed and such, (once established would be quite easy to update)

Id also like to suggest a page for fraps and easy cam two recording software services, and maybe if we could find another one that is free that would be cool....

I think mal can help out with easy cam..... as hes said he knows about that, ive tried installing.... but im facing difficulties.....
posted on September 22nd, 2010, 11:47 am
Well, until the Database is complete, I've been keeping a list up to date on the first post of this thread :)

Star Trek Armada II: Fleet Operations - List of awesome youtube replays

Information on using FRAPS and EasyCam would of course be added there too once the pages can be created. The 'Recorded Games' page would basically be a large database with all the information about a game able to be sorted and uploaded by those who created them :)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5