The first rule of scout club is you don't talk about....

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on October 26th, 2010, 8:59 am
Just playing around the other night, and I may have discovered a nice little thing which can be used by cloaked ships to scout quite nicely.

I stumbled on it because I was thinking there should be a particular command available to all ships which isn't available.

And, i'm going to stop there for the moment because I fear if I say any more there will be a cry of "Shut your fat mouth Loki  >:(" from people who know about this and use it, and perhaps are worried that it would be considered an exploit that needs fixing.

So, if you know what I am talking about, then let me know if you think we should have this out in the open, or keep it hush...  :D

DISCLAIMER: Of course by starting this thread the beans are going to be spilled eventually.  Just trying to induce an aura of suspense and mystery.  :lol:
posted on October 26th, 2010, 9:52 am
Last edited by Ruanek on October 26th, 2010, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing I can think of that you could be referring to is having the cloaked scout be set to guard an enemy ship, and then (hopefully) follow it back to their base, possibly by damaging that ship.

If the idea is secret (meaning I was wrong), though, are that if people use this "secret idea", then it's used in multiplayer, which would mean either everyone on multiplayer knows it or it isn't actually that useful.

Edit: It it really is such an awesome idea, it should be told to everyone so it isn't exploited by people who know about it.
posted on October 26th, 2010, 11:03 am
I bet it is an exploit and no regular feature!
posted on October 26th, 2010, 11:05 am
ehm...

how do you think we can fix something if exploits are kept "secret"?

Guarding a ship with a cloaked ship is not an exploit, you can do that by hand too by just following the ship
posted on October 26th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Ah, you guys got it  :D

Yup, cloaked ship set to guard.  Just found it out, its quite useful.  Set it on constructors to see when and where they are building their expansions without having to check all the time, or tag it onto a ship in a fleet to see where it goes.

Sure, you can do this manually, but it takes some pressure off having to micro your scout(s) all the time.

The only thing you have to watch is if they loose the ship then you have to attach the scout to another ship.

Optec says it isn't an exploit so that is good enough for me.  I was actually thinking a "Follow" command would be a nice thing to have having seen in before in RTS games.
posted on October 26th, 2010, 1:08 pm
lol loki, this is old news. Very common strat. The advantage of manually controlling the scout, is that it's harder for them to decloak it. Guard the ship u intend to shoot last.

Dont guard em scubes or talon refits durrrrrr
posted on October 26th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Indeed, well known, disadvantages and advantages explained in the guide for a year now too :)
posted on October 26th, 2010, 2:45 pm
Dominus_Noctis wrote:Indeed, well known, disadvantages and advantages explained in the guide for a year now too :)

:facepalm:
posted on October 26th, 2010, 3:59 pm
lol loki read the guide. U chided someone for printing it, maybe u should do that :P :lol:
posted on October 26th, 2010, 6:16 pm
Myles wrote:lol loki read the guide. U chided someone for printing it, maybe u should do that :P :lol:

Hey, i've read the guide from back to front several times.  The problem is i have a memory like Swiss cheese.  I remember one game where I asked my ally what to build to counter the opposition.  5 minutes later I asked the same question.... he was not amused.
posted on October 26th, 2010, 6:41 pm
Weeee  :lol: It's all good  :D
posted on October 26th, 2010, 10:04 pm
Well I could actually think of a few cruel, borderline cheating, and one fair uses for the scout.

1. Cloak follow bug...  :blush:

2. spam scouts and prevent enemy from building around their base  :lol:

3. early game use your scout for dps both offense and defense. I find that it can take a few shots and be microed away from battle while the enemy wastes a few shots on it :D
posted on October 27th, 2010, 2:31 am
It's a shame, for scouts, that there isnt a 'follow at max range' command, and a 'bumpercars'  type exploration command (basicly, enemy appears on scan, go opposite direction, keep exploring)
posted on October 27th, 2010, 6:39 am
funnystuffpictures wrote:2. spam scouts and prevent enemy from building around their base  :lol:

That would be evil.  Although most races could deal with this quite easily.
posted on October 27th, 2010, 6:43 am
Haha, yeah.  Doca addressed this a while back, as they'll allow you to build even if there are ships there.  It's an easy thing to switch (Just a 1 to a 0 for a value somewhere if I'm not mistaken). :D
1, 2