Sabers?

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on May 4th, 2009, 4:36 am
I understand that on speed 4, it's a good ship. But if ou play on default speed, in the time you can build 2 sabres and a hyperimpulse engine you can either warp in ships od upgrade to intrepids/akiras. Also, i usually pick risner so i really just dont understand why sabres are so good. you end up having to put pedal to the metal and scurry around while you wait for its shield scratchers-er, phasers to do damage. Thus, it could use a slight power increase (like a 2 boost to offensive or *maybe* a torpedo) to make up for the fact that you cannot build them in sufficient numbers to deal with enemy destroyers.
*makes note to play speed 4 game later*
posted on May 4th, 2009, 3:17 pm
RCIX wrote:I understand that on speed 4, it's a good ship. But if ou play on default speed, in the time you can build 2 sabres and a hyperimpulse engine you can either warp in ships od upgrade to intrepids/akiras. Also, i usually pick risner so i really just dont understand why sabres are so good. you end up having to put pedal to the metal and scurry around while you wait for its shield scratchers-er, phasers to do damage. Thus, it could use a slight power increase (like a 2 boost to offensive or *maybe* a torpedo) to make up for the fact that you cannot build them in sufficient numbers to deal with enemy destroyers.
*makes note to play speed 4 game later*

What? Did I miss something? Does the gamespeed alter the build times, but NOT the movement speed and the attack speed? I thought changing the game speed changes all durations the same way... :blink:
posted on May 4th, 2009, 5:02 pm
Thats true it has no torps prohaps it could get one as an officer level upgrade or something, because they could use one. Come to think of it the saber is the only fed ship that doesn't have some form of torpedo (including the ships that only have have a kind of special torpedo)
posted on May 4th, 2009, 5:03 pm
The Sabre gets a quantum pulse on getting rank  :lol:
posted on May 4th, 2009, 5:08 pm
oops o well i must not know that cause they die before getting there, o well. Ignore that post.
posted on May 4th, 2009, 6:07 pm
A torpedo for it would be quite nice to be honest. You see the Sabre firing Photon torpedoes in first contact multiple times.... You also see them do it once or twice in DS9 i believe.

Still i think that they are reasonable ships...
posted on May 4th, 2009, 6:08 pm
I agree. the sabre with a torp maybe for the risner avatar increasing offense by 2 or 3 would be a good balance to the lower defense on the risner sabres.
posted on May 4th, 2009, 6:12 pm
it would be good, but I still think it needs a little shorter build time, even if it is only for mayson.
posted on May 4th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Give them  A micro torpedo launcher  doing so would give them a little more punch .However not so as to  tip the balance scale. Or  just Make A "Super Sabre"  A Sabre Based Ship only  a 33% larger and  More Punch  but would lose  the ''normal Sabre " Speed upgrade.
posted on May 4th, 2009, 8:36 pm
Oh for goodness sakes! Just try using them against a Dominion player and you'll see how soon he/she quits (especially if they aren't Breen and have to wait until the T-15 for a proper long range destroyer killer). Combined with the Canaveral for Risner (yes, even though the Saber is weaker there) they are quite the powerhouse. You can take out Bugs, K'vorts, B'rels from long range, and even Scout Cubes have no chance catching up to you. Yes you can't mass them as quickly--but you can not destroy them easily at all when they are long range torp-dodging speedfreaks. Against the Rhienn, that is another story: that's why you use a different strategy. I think too many people think there is just one use for a ship and that it will work the same against all races.

However I'll state that indeed it would be nice to have sabers with an increased offense for Risner because she really has an incredibly weak early game (Intrepids don't cut it because they are short range).
posted on May 5th, 2009, 5:07 pm
Dominus_Noctis wrote:Oh for goodness sakes! Just try using them against a Dominion player and you'll see how soon he/she quits (especially if they aren't Breen and have to wait until the T-15 for a proper long range destroyer killer). Combined with the Canaveral for Risner (yes, even though the Saber is weaker there) they are quite the powerhouse. You can take out Bugs, K'vorts, B'rels from long range, and even Scout Cubes have no chance catching up to you. Yes you can't mass them as quickly--but you can not destroy them easily at all when they are long range torp-dodging speedfreaks. Against the Rhienn, that is another story: that's why you use a different strategy. I think too many people think there is just one use for a ship and that it will work the same against all races.

However I'll state that indeed it would be nice to have sabers with an increased offense for Risner because she really has an incredibly weak early game (Intrepids don't cut it because they are short range).

I did say that the Sabre was a nice ship, just that i would like a torpedo on it because there are several shots in FC and other series of the Sabre firing torpedoes... Kinda bums me out that the Sabre at officer level gets a quantum pulse instead of a torpedo...

I just like Cannon thats all...

It is however a lovely ship, i have no problems with it early on in the game and tend to use large amounts of them when playing with Mayson... The move directly to the Excelsior II, Norway combination... The sabre still plays a prominent role in hit and fade attacks on mining outpost because of it's long range!!!

Risner with micro torpedoes on the Sabre would perhaps give her a chance early on in the game... It would allow you to hold for a little longer with H&F tactics before moving to the Intrepid and Akira classes for the more serious strikes...
1, 2