Sabers?

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 3:15 am
I don't understand why sabres are raved about so much. They take a long time to build and are maddeningly weak. I know they dodge torps like nobodys business and they're fast/long range, but it takes so long for them to destroy anything! perhaps someone could enlighten me?
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 5:39 am
RCIX wrote:I don't understand why sabres are raved about so much. They take a long time to build and are maddeningly weak. I know they dodge torps like nobodys business and they're fast/long range, but it takes so long for them to destroy anything! perhaps someone could enlighten me?

I understand your complaints about the sabres.  I used to also think that they were too slow to build, weak, etc.  Their long range and speed allow them to be at a safe standoff distance to many of the other species early ships, BoP, Dom. Fighter, etc.  That's my opinion of their usefulness
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 5:57 am
But then you gotta spend half a minute microing their runaway so they dont get plastered by said short/medium range destroyers, which could be spent orchestrating a base expansion. Compare that to rhiennes: you cloak them, get them in close, let loose a few pummeling shots, and get out! takes maybe 10-15 seconds. On second thought, it takes as long but it actually gets stuff destroyed! At least, as opposed to the sabres which can maybe kill the shields on a ship or two in that time... *sigh*
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 6:48 am
yeah i got to say guys, ive been hearing alot of sabers are good, but guys there really not

heres why i think there not good

#1 slow build times, you really cant get fed ships out, and in early game with sabers, that what counts, dominion bugs, or pretty much any of the klingon small shipyard ships can be produced very quickly, and if the klignos were to build an addition to there shipyard, the saber is just outnumbered

#2 with kligon and roms, early game against feds with there sabers isnt that hard, they can just cloak there ships move into position take out a miner or two, and then recloak before any ship can get there, even if the saber could get there they dont have the power to take them out

#3 there not very good at attacking or defending, ive heard about how good they are, you can get there engine upgrade, and then keep them out of the enemys range, im sorry but this wont work the smart enemy will just go to there base and protect it, attacking with this engine reduces there power to 11 attack, so you wont get alot of kills,

#4 they can be overpowerd and picked off easily

i just dont think there very good, with the advantage that cloak brings other races, sabers just dont cut it, especially since you cant even really attack, knowing there could be a cloaked fleet in your base
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 12:05 pm
I was asking me the same question... Sabers? what did i miss?
1 or 2 Sabers don´t seem to mean any harm to anything important and before the 2nd Saber is build i can already switch to Norways with PlasmaCoil and get my first WarpIns...
In a normal game i can build monsoons when the first yard is ready, and monsoons seem to be a little more useful defense against those annoying little rhienns.

PS: I play for 3 weeks now (quite often :thumbsup: ) and only against friends or AI
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 12:47 pm
I'm not a very experienced fed player but imo the sabers just fine. In the right hand and use is just a very contraption ship.

U cant expect a ship what cost is at saber level and power at warbird level, dont work guys. :shifty:

peace & long life

Deimos
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 2:01 pm
I think they need some work, weather it is making them spammable, or more powerful.  Rothe now, they are very good a little later in the game to rush mining sets, then destroy them from a distance, and run back to base, but they need to to be more useful early in game.
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 2:14 pm
i agree the ships available to begin with should be able to fend off the other early game ships.

They do tend to dissapear mid-game and later.

the only thing there good at is fending off Dom attack ships, but they spam more so sabers get out numbered, i think they need either a torpedo, or more shields.
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 2:19 pm
NC... >:(
Deimos
Actium
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 2:35 pm
actually for me sabers do there job well, even though i agree that the build time of em is quite long. I get akiras before the 4th saber is finished ... and im glad that akiras eat the attack bugs quite easily. but my sabers can hold most stuff off till that.
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 3:40 pm
there an absoutely amazing ship in the right hand... the problem is people always like to play at speed 4 or faster so they can mass large large fleets quickly which means you have to sacrifice micro... ifyou play at speed three you have plenty of time to micro them and do what you have to do...

and the trick with the rhienne spam is to attack the other plays mining before he attacks yours... the saber is not a defensive shp like the monsoon... its a nice long range lil fighter and not designed to sit in ur base waiting for ur mining to be attacked and its not designed to be a nice destroyer either, its designed to just stall till the later stages...

i hate it when people are obessed with making ships spammable, flops is not designed so you can spam ships, ive only realsied this recently, its meant to be played at speed three, with a small-medium mixed fleet that can whoop some booty! Do you realise how much damage you can truly do with just a few well balanced ships?
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 5:06 pm
redmanmark86 wrote:Do you realise how much damage you can truly do with just a few well balanced ships?

...a lot less damage than with 1500 Negh'Vars?  :lol:  :thumbsup:

But next time I play, I'll try playing at speed 3 and see how different it is :)
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 7:44 pm
i just feel, like it could be replaced with moonsoon, or given some more values cus you cant spam it, and i hate spam, but it dosent have very good weapons and can be destoyed easily

the moonsoon has about the same offense, and good defense tho, and with the way the kligons and dom can spam, and how kligon and roms can cloak, thats kinda just what the feds need to keep alive early on
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 8:02 pm
Gotta say, Sabers kick arse against the Dominion for one. They are so annoying because Dominion ships are usually short range until you get up to the T-15 with Pure, or Breen Cruiser with Breen. Likewise they are good against Borg players too, until you make it up to Intrepids.
I've already said my piece on Sabers in three threads and they are definitely powerful. Try playing Risner instead of teching straight up to Norways and you'll see. In the next patch, with Norways being fixed, I'm sure we'll see more use for building a few Sabers and Monsoons with Mayson.

PS Ray, Monsoons are short range.
posted on May 3rd, 2009, 9:41 pm
Well i play games at the default speed setting whatever that is...

The Sabre regularly destroys opponents in a way the Monsoon just can't. Its long range happily takes care of any AI opponent i come up to. With hyper impulse drive you watch you enemy flounder under lots of long range phaser shots while short range pulse weapons cannot harm you and torpedoes miss....

That alone factors out 2 of the 3 weapon types and means that considering other races have less long range beams than the federation you don't have too much of a problem!!!

Tis all good.
1, 2