Klingons vs Federation

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on April 14th, 2011, 2:01 am
I have been having lots of trouble with kvort spam by the klingons as Federation, is there any really good counter to this?
posted on April 14th, 2011, 2:09 am
I would say Intrepid / Warpin hybrid.  Not too hard to do as K'vorts will be obvious once they put up a field Research.

Other than that, Intrepid / Canaveral with Sensor Blackout will do you LOTS of good as the Canavs do pretty decent damage on top of turning 35% of the damage into nothing :D.  I'd really only do Intrep Canav as Mayson though due to the extra defense his C's get.
posted on April 14th, 2011, 2:10 am
Sabers are good.  Faster, pulse/torp miss, longer range.  Intrepids are kind of even with them, but slightly faster.  And of course, warp ins are good (even though most are mediums) because they're often large size.  It really comes down to micro rather than macro for feds vs Kvorts.  If you win that game, then you also win the economy game, because Kvorts are really cost ineffective.  If you go for a fast tech up to warp ins, you get access to the venture's ping.  That's never bad. :thumbsup:

And boggz beat me to it. :lol:
posted on April 14th, 2011, 2:11 am
Awesome, this will work for me. thanks
posted on April 19th, 2011, 3:56 am
yeah like Mal said it mainly comes down to a micro battle.  K'vorts are very cost-ineffective and return almost no supply on rankup so the ability to spam K'vorts is limited to a short duration.  If you can play smart, shore up your moons and bring in those warpins, you'll be able to basically out-macro those nasty little K'vorts :D.

Just don't let a mass of K'vorts decloaking make you panic ;)
posted on April 19th, 2011, 4:50 am
Yeah it's easier to fight against cloaking races when you've played AS a cloaking race.  You learn to figure out when they could be around and which way they're going to attack.  Just remember to have a plan, i.e. which directions are safe to run in.  The moment you hear the decloak, figure out whether you can kill anything and which way you need to run.  If you're planning to slug it out, don't just sit there.  Form up on one side of them and then fly between them to the other side; this kind of "jousting" makes their ships face different directions so it's harder to form up and move out.
posted on April 19th, 2011, 6:22 am
Mal wrote:Sabers are good.  Faster, pulse/torp miss, longer range.  Intrepids are kind of even with them, but slightly faster. 

Sabre is faster than intrepid.
posted on April 19th, 2011, 6:53 am
Tok`ra wrote:Sabre is faster than intrepid.

No it's not. Sabre speed: 110, Intrepid Speed: 130, Monsoon 140, Nova 140, Norway 130, Akira 110 --> in fact the sabre is quite slow, all the Klingon early ships are faster. Nevertheless, some Sabres mixed into a Fed fleet are always nice because of their pulse avoidance.
posted on April 19th, 2011, 10:56 am
even with hyperimpulse on the sabre only ties with the intrep.

the sabre isnt slow really, its actually quite fast considering its long range. makes it good at kiting if u get enough numbers, as they deal low damage each. also they leave you unable to deal finishing blows and a spam leaves you open to a counter.
posted on April 19th, 2011, 5:13 pm
Indeed, I have no problems with Sabre at all ;). Whenever I play Feds I field Sabres in some numbers. If you play Klingons all the time you have to try out 360 degree long ranged ships whenever possible ;).
posted on April 19th, 2011, 6:02 pm
Umm I rarely have issues against klingons. And sabers never make my list of things I build.
posted on April 20th, 2011, 7:58 am
Would be interesting to hear what you field then. The largest problem for me as Klingon player is the very cheap cloak detection the Federation gets through its Venture class. Other things are countered by KVort, Chargh, Qawduij, KBQ or Vor'cha.
Since Klingons have problems against long range Sabres and E2s make up for the biggest problems. And Sovereign, but you simply shouldn't let the Feds get these.
posted on April 20th, 2011, 9:44 am
The best set up I've seen is a defensive one that plays a few intrepids and/or a monsoon or two before it goes to E2s and akira.Against klingons its a big game of who can keep his mining functional tho. It depends if the klingon player doesn't go vorcha you can slug it out with monsoon and intrepids. Avalons can make the list depending on the opponent as well.
posted on April 20th, 2011, 4:21 pm
Yea E2s are good against klingons but I prefer to keep them out until I see vorchas because sangs do so well against them
posted on April 20th, 2011, 5:07 pm
sangs do to e2 what e2 do to vorcha in a way. put out a lot of torps on a medium sized ship. except the e2 is slightly more vulnerable since it cant cloak or run.

i would throw in some brels, (preferably taqqy, but martok could probably get away with it with more effort) they may be weak, but they will put out some heavy damage to e2s, and they will dodge 40% of the e2 quantums, and they will never stand a chance of running as you will catch them instantly, and they will never stand a chance of catching you once you get out of their range, so no need to cloak really. just watch out for the special guided quantums, hopefully if they get a good triggering of it you will only lose 1 brel in the hail storm, then you can get behind them before the next volley of guided quantums.
1, 2