Federation "Cheat Sheet" For New Players (1.0)

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on May 6th, 2012, 2:34 am
Ruanek wrote:I think this is the largest problem with FO.  It's really difficult for people new to the game to learn all the counters, what with size, range, and passives.  Especially when the information isn't easy to get to.  That's why I'm looking forward to the new ship profiles so much.

Didn't Star Wars Empire at War have a strong against and weak against section in each units description?  Why not implement something similar in Fleet Ops?
posted on May 6th, 2012, 2:44 am
Re4_Wesker wrote:Didn't Star Wars Empire at War have a strong against and weak against section in each units description?  Why not implement something similar in Fleet Ops?

Well, there it was easier to implement.  There weren't as many factions, and there weren't as many different counters.  Capital ships were countered by larger capital ships and bombers.  Bombers were countered by corvettes and fighters.  Fighters were counted by better fighters and corvettes.  And corvettes were countered by capital ships.  Land was a bit more complex, but you get the idea.

It would be awesome in FO, though.  If it could show units specific to the avatar the player is playing it would be really awesome.
posted on May 6th, 2012, 2:45 am
Re4_Wesker wrote:Didn't Star Wars Empire at War have a strong against and weak against section in each units description?  Why not implement something similar in Fleet Ops?

I actually wouldn't mind this as long as we avoided simple rock paper scissors style balancing.  A simple, Strong against small craft, or destroyers, etc would be nice.
posted on May 6th, 2012, 3:01 am
That wouldn't be possible in any realistic manner. At the very best it would be incomplete, at the worst it would be misleading. You'd end up with dozens of entries in 326...

There are not generally simple counters in Fleet Operations (and generally few hard ones), it's more about when units are present on the map, and what you need to build against them as Beserene stated. An Intrepid takes reduced damage from a Cube, for sure, but when you're talking about high techtree stuff, you'd be better off with Excelsior IIs and other more powerful ships. The passives are not the full deal - the armament, the tech level, etc, all need to be integrated. Furthermore, your economic situation needs to be accounted for as well. If you can't afford to tech up, don't try to go for "the counter" against another ship. Quantity has a quality all of its own in some situations.
posted on May 6th, 2012, 3:11 am
One of these days I'll write a long-winded post talking about "mass" and "density" with respect to FlOps formations.
posted on May 6th, 2012, 3:47 am
Styer Crisis wrote:I must point out a incorrect part on your sheet. Intrepids do counter probes, but not scubes. Nothing feds have early game counter the scube in entirity. intrepids do well against intercept scubes because they so slightly less damage with the adapted torpedos, because of the intrepids medium size. Against the Regen scube however, feds are quite helpless, and its left to better micro to save you.

Actually, while they may not have a specific passive, Intrepids are the correct ship to use against scubes.  In fact, I would say that Intrepids should ALWAYS be built against Borg since they do well against scubes and probes and pre-counter the midgame adaptors and spheres that will be coming.

Since the Intercept scube deals roughly 20.6 DPS against medium ships and 32.6 DPS against small ships, I wouldn't say the intrepid takes "slightly" less damage.  The Regen scube deals only 10.2 DPS, so you'll find that feds are not especially helpless against them.

In either case, turrets should be a major part of your strategy against Borg.  The more time you have to build up, the more things will tend to shift into your favor since, as I mentioned earlier, the Intrepid counters Borg's next tier of ships and can ADAI tank for your bigger ships.

I don't want to start a long balance discussion here, so if you want to talk about it further than this let me know and we'll get Dom to split the thread.
posted on May 6th, 2012, 7:54 am
"Cheat sheets" and "... for Dummies" are not about being 'pro' - they're about getting you into the game at a decent beginner level. It's *almost* a substitute for the first 30 games... ya know, the ones where you build Sabers when you shouldn't have. Or when you completely expanded, and didn't have any offensive ships. Ya know, getting past that.

Once you've got the hang of beginner, then you can expand. Don't put barriers through that natural progression.
posted on May 6th, 2012, 3:31 pm
New players don't build sabers when they shouldn't have... new players are alergic to building ships in general! :pinch:
1, 2