Borg Optimize - Early Sphere

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 9:44 pm
TChapman500 wrote:@Kestrel
You have no idea what you are saying.  You say that it only works against new players.  Have you watched any of these tests?  Have you seen how effective this strategy is?  Well, this strategy is very effective.  And the larger the map is, the more likely this strategy is to work, even with a very skilled player.

People who see this thread will know to go after the constructor.  But most of the people here don't even know that the strategy exists and will not know to anticipate a sphere when the recycler starts going up as the first station.  Plus, someone may use a different build order than the one listed here and get away with it anyways.  Or someone won't be anticipating this strategy because it's been posted.  There are a number of things that determine whether or not this strategy works.   You can't just say "I'll show you how stupid this is!" because of all of the variables involved.

I don't think I'll play you very often if you're going to have this "I can beat anything" attitude.

You like words dont you, just like your mod you show nothing but type lots of words and scenario's, try this agaisnt me and we will see if this strat is as effective as you make it out to be.

Yes i do know of the strat its been used agaisnt me before and it makes for boring games because when iv destroyed the sphere in construction the opponent quits and it ends a very boring game.
posted on April 3rd, 2011, 4:38 pm
Kestrel wrote:You like words dont you, just like your mod you show nothing but type lots of words and scenario's, try this agaisnt me and we will see if this strat is as effective as you make it out to be.

Yes i do know of the strat its been used agaisnt me before and it makes for boring games because when iv destroyed the sphere in construction the opponent quits and it ends a very boring game.

The strategy is not feasible in the slightest for a 1v1; I watched this attempted last night and it's easy to tell just how quickly it puts a Borg player at a massive disadvantage. Still, there's no need to be a jerk about it.
posted on April 3rd, 2011, 8:49 pm
It's not really a disadvantage unless your opponent discovers the sphere and destroys it while it's in construction.  Otherwise, you'll just loose a couple of miners.  A small price to pay for being able to win the game, however, the probability of the strategy working probably isn't worth the risk.  Because although you can ignore the miners, so can your opponent.  You might want to stick a couple of probes in there to increase the probability of success and flip the Recycler and Conduction Matrix build order.  This strategy is definitely easy to counter.
posted on April 3rd, 2011, 10:11 pm
TChapman500 wrote:It's not really a disadvantage unless your opponent discovers the sphere and destroys it while it's in construction.  Otherwise, you'll just loose a couple of miners.  A small price to pay for being able to win the game, however, the probability of the strategy working probably isn't worth the risk.  Because although you can ignore the miners, so can your opponent.  You might want to stick a couple of probes in there to increase the probability of success and flip the Recycler and Conduction Matrix build order.  This strategy is definitely easy to counter.

This strat is insanely dumb but youll just never accept it.

Whats the time frame for getting enough resources to build a recycler, 6 miners, some probes, the CC research and then a sphere that your somehow going to hide from the opponents scouts.

It will take you ages if you do this, and longer afer you lose your expansion for not defending it and then youll die anyway because you will get massed by the opponent as his ships are cheaper (he/she will have more than 5 in this time frame)
posted on April 3rd, 2011, 10:23 pm
You're not willing to accept the fact that it can work.
posted on April 4th, 2011, 11:54 am
In general a strategy cannot be considered good if it relies on the opponent to make mistakes.
If your premise is that the opponent has to be oblivious to what you are doing then your strategy will be shot down the moment your opponent puts a scout in your base. Since almost all of the players do that right in the beginning and your strategy lacks any kind of ship production until the sphere, then you have no method of preventing enemy scouting.
So I'm afraid it is not a strategy one can depend on if one wants to win.
posted on April 4th, 2011, 11:56 am
also if u do succeed in a strat which relied on them missing a key point of information, you cant use that strat on them again, they will suspect you are doing it from the start. especially since you analysed and described it here in all the details you intend to use. its a 1 shot thing. thats making the giant assumption that it will work, which isnt given at all.
posted on April 4th, 2011, 8:34 pm
Gotta agree with the others. This strategy leaves yourself totally defenceless. You're relying on:
1) Opponent making a mistake, being a poor player, or just being unlucky
and/or
2) An allied player covering your back. Which detracts from their own fleet building.

It's a classic all-eggs-in-one-basket strategy, and if that basket drops... you lose it all. It's not worth the gamble, to be honest. In those early minutes you need to be fortifying better than that.
posted on April 28th, 2011, 1:24 am
I am not an expert and not qualified as guys like Miles, Boggz, Primigenia, etc who have posted but I will say that vs merciless ai borg as practice before I play multi, I am constantly scouting to see what the computer is doing and changing up what i am building. Watching all the videos on youtube is making me a very adaptable and smart player as well as a micro oriented player. I play klingon carefully and try not to lose a ship and micro it out of battle to repair if its low.

If you tried this strategy on me, I will have been constantly scouting your base to see what is up and have a fleet waiting for that sphere or have constantly harassed your expansion buying myself time.
posted on May 21st, 2011, 6:53 am
You know, I think I was able to Pyramid rush in a 1v1 once.  :woot: I started with 5 miners, got connections level 2, and built transmission matrix. Boarding, and Nanites ftw! Assimilating a cube is just so much fun xD
posted on May 21st, 2011, 4:48 pm
You must have had a quite dumb opponent with no scouts :P.
I doubt you could assimilate a cube with a pyramid  :woot:.
posted on May 21st, 2011, 6:36 pm
You're right, it takes about 6 pyramids to assimilate a cube, and about 2 minutes of spamming nanites and transporting :D... and trying to recrew the thing. What a hassle.
posted on May 24th, 2011, 5:09 am
mkman wrote:qualified as guys like...Primigenia,

I'm qualified? Oh, this community is screwed.
1, 2