Borg Optimize - Early Sphere

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 12:55 am
Queue up 6 Resource Assimilators.
  • Base Tritanium
  • Base Dilithium
  • Expand Dilithium
  • Base Dilithium
  • Base Tritanium
  • Expand Tritanium

Start On Recycler - Activate it, FULL BLAST!
Recycler Complete, Start Conduction Matrix
- Research Nodes Levels 1 and 2 as quickly as possible.  DO NOT USE RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
Queue up 2 more Resource Assimilators for Tritanium Expansion
Once resources are sufficient, Build Collective Uplink in sneaky location.
Select Sphere Chassis and begin construction!
ENEMY ATTACK ON EXPANSION, DO NOT RETREAT!  Keep the enemy busy while your sphere constructs.
Sphere complete, pulverize the enemy fleet! :D

This strategy may not work on the account that your sphere may be found.  You must keep the enemy fleet away from the sphere at all costs until it is complete!
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 4:54 am
Have you timed this?

I am guessing that the strategy in the guide for early sphere is faster than this.  No competition or anything, but the second anyone sees you put up your recycler first they are going to know this is what you're doing and blast away your first uplink.
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 9:33 am
Well, I think it only works with an ally. Zebh and Sutee tried it together several times with quite some success. Zebh took Feds(early warp in) while sutee was doing what TCR describes.
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 1:22 pm
You can't get a Sphere faster using the same Collective Connections upgrades (1+2 immediately). Since you're taking the time to build a Recycler, it'll take you several more minutes to build a Sphere - not only that, but you'll be down quite a lot of supply. If you have an ally feeding you supply, it's not that bad since you can send your loads of resources, but you certainly won't be self sufficient in the early stages  :blush:
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Just keep the enemy busy away from the uplink long enough for the sphere to complete.  But once you have the resources, shut down the recycler.  You'll have a sphere out so fast that you can just take out the attacking vessels and receive minimum damage.  This strategy is supply intensive though so after your first sphere, you will need to build a few Incubation Centers and upgrade them.  If it works, you almost can't loose.  If your sphere is discovered and destroyed before it is complete, you've already lost.  So it's quite the gamble.  It works on larger maps, but on smaller maps, don't count on it working at all.
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 2:23 pm
That takes ages, by then your opponent has a fleet and this sphere on its own is dead lol .... gg
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 2:54 pm
Your opponent will only have around 5 ships.  And unless they are Vorchas, they won't stand a chance against a single sphere.  It's been tested with a very high success rate.  I failed because my sphere was discovered.  And I only needed about 10 more seconds.  This strategy is very dependent on whether or nor your opponent discovers the sphere.  If your opponent discovers the sphere, then you've probably lost.  If not, you'll most likely win if you use the sphere.
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 4:57 pm
the key to take out a borg fleet is to destroy the spheres and pyramids.
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 5:17 pm
But its not really that hard to stop an early sphere rush anymore, because if you double yard something you will have way more then 5 ships and you can wear down a sphere without losing a single ship. Its how the borg always lose, its hard for them to get kills
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 6:31 pm
Well again, no offense, but since this is in the strategy forum I feel compelled to share my thoughts.

When you say "keep them busy and away from your uplink", you're assuming that your opponent is dumb enough to not see what you're doing and stop you.  5 ships may not be enough to stop a Sphere, but if I see you put up your recycler first then I know you're not going to have even a single warship available to stop me from harassing you.

Thus, while you're waiting for your conduction matrix and researches to finish and then for the 50 CC you need, I'll be either working on destroying your miners or I'll be sitting there with anything medium-ranged waiting for you to put down your Sphere Chassis so I can destroy it and waste your 50 CC's.

Boom.
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 7:10 pm
Boom.

Roosted
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 7:48 pm
TChapman500 wrote:Your opponent will only have around 5 ships.  And unless they are Vorchas, they won't stand a chance against a single sphere.  It's been tested with a very high success rate.  I failed because my sphere was discovered.  And I only needed about 10 more seconds.  This strategy is very dependent on whether or nor your opponent discovers the sphere.  If your opponent discovers the sphere, then you've probably lost.  If not, you'll most likely win if you use the sphere.

You lack experience, come play me, do this stupid tactic and i will annialate you. If you are not talking rubbish and have actually tested it then its been tested agaisnt bad players because id be watching your base the whole time and would notice as you bring your constructor away and follow it then destroy you even if some how you managed to get it out id have alot more than 5 ships....

We can also have a game of count my ships right before they crush that lone sphere and then breeze through your base shortly afterward.
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 8:10 pm
fa11out wrote:Roosted

[img width=300]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a0/Foghorn_Leghorn.png[/img]

you've been, i say, you've been roosted by a rooster.

Kestrel wrote:You lack experience, come play me, do this stupid tactic and i will annialate you. If you are not talking rubbish and have actually tested it then its been tested agaisnt bad players because id be watching your base the whole time and would notice as you bring your constructor away and follow it then destroy you even if some how you managed to get it out id have alot more than 5 ships....

We can also have a game of count my ships right before they crush that lone sphere and then breeze through your base shortly afterward.

posted on April 2nd, 2011, 9:07 pm
@Kestrel
You have no idea what you are saying.  You say that it only works against new players.  Have you watched any of these tests?  Have you seen how effective this strategy is?  Well, this strategy is very effective.  And the larger the map is, the more likely this strategy is to work, even with a very skilled player.

People who see this thread will know to go after the constructor.  But most of the people here don't even know that the strategy exists and will not know to anticipate a sphere when the recycler starts going up as the first station.  Plus, someone may use a different build order than the one listed here and get away with it anyways.  Or someone won't be anticipating this strategy because it's been posted.  There are a number of things that determine whether or not this strategy works.  You can't just say "I'll show you how stupid this is!" because of all of the variables involved.

I don't think I'll play you very often if you're going to have this "I can beat anything" attitude.
posted on April 2nd, 2011, 9:16 pm
If your opponent only has 5 ships out by the time that you can build a sphere then of course you are going to win because your opponent sucks.
1, 2