2v2 rushing strategy

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on October 28th, 2010, 5:25 am
haven't played online yet, but:
You think, it's possible to  do the following rush?
Klingon + feds, fed goes very fast warp in, probably with a turret at his mining as he won't have ships for long, while the klingon just rushes to get a b'rel and 2 mining stations done... then the Klingon makes a K'tinga rush and the fed backs it up with his warpin, hoping for a nice roll. (3 steamies vs b'rel spam :()
till the ally of your opponent is there, you should have probably killed the mining and some research station/yard. fed should be free to expand, get a yard and start with the average intrepid spam, while the klingon is free to do whatever he wants...
posted on October 28th, 2010, 5:46 am
Well, both strats are agreed to be decent rush strats (although Fed double yard rush is generally acknowledge to be better than warp-in rush).

Depending on whether the opponents are watching carefully, their skills, the map, and their races, they may or may not be able to counter this.  The main problem for them would be knowing who was going to be the target of the rush as the Feds can warp into wherever and the klingons can cloak so there is a large element of surprise.

In principle its not so different to facing off against any two opponents who can cloak (or fed with warp-in).

Remember, on a large map, the K'tinga rush is a lot less effective because by the time they arrive they probably will be up against much stronger ships.

On a smaller map... nasty, but don't forget, the opponents are also doing stuff as well, they are not passive.  If the opponents are Fed and Klingon they could be going for exactly the same strat or even some other nasty combination.

Think about it.  You and your ally are rushing with these strats.  Remember rushing can also put you at a disadvantage later, especially if you fail to pull off the rush.  Now, your K'tingas are half way to the enemy expansion and warp-in is almost ready, when you see a combined fleet of Borg scubes and probes and Dom A20s or whatever heading towards your expansion.

Do you now split your forces, one goes ahead with the attack while the other defends?  Do you both switch to defend?  Or do you press on with the attack and accept your expansion is going to be lost?

What happens if both your opponents are Fed?  Its highly probable they would turret their expansions meaning your Ktingas are toast and the Warp-in, depending on what arrives may be effective or not so effective (although how good you are at microing your units also comes into it of course).  And then the opponents may be warping into your expansion or warping in to defend.  You are going to take some losses somewhere.

Basically, the strat you describe is a nasty one, but in FleetOps there are no guaranteed winning strats... well, there have been some really awesome ones, but these are usually patched out when discovered.  Both the Ktinga and Warp-in are going to get some changes in the upcoming patch, so we will have to see how this affects things.
posted on October 28th, 2010, 8:44 am
Yes, it can work. I was in a 3v3 recently and one of our players was double k'tinga + warpin rushed. You have a huge advantage in terms of numbers, especially considering how early on in the game you can do it.
posted on October 28th, 2010, 11:52 am
Yeah, it works, pretty well. Guess who was double k'tinga+warpin raped!  >:(  :lol:
posted on October 28th, 2010, 12:33 pm
It's a great strategy on a large map where reinforcements are always far away.  I would like to test it on a smaller 3v3 map like destiny board.
posted on October 28th, 2010, 12:53 pm
I dont like these strategies...its almost not counterable since the crit mass takes out all things of 1 player while hurting the opponent only slightly. 2 Ktinga rushes are similar to double warping early game...its boring and I consider it an unforseen problem in 3v3+ games.
posted on October 28th, 2010, 1:37 pm
I don't know Drrrrr. Yes, it's cheesy, it's kinda mark of the lack of creativity, but you can't really prevent this sort of things happen in a big team game. It's not possible to balance the game to 1v1 (it is already very colse to balanced now) and to team games in the same time. Personally, I enjoy much more big long games, with lots of back and forth battles, when everybody goes trough step by step on the tech tree. I enjoyed silly rushes a lot before (for example pyramid) but got bored of it.
posted on October 28th, 2010, 2:09 pm
Now imagine a double Bug spam against both those strategies :D Game over!  :lol:

Team strategies involve a lot more complexity (and simplicity too!) when considering what strategies are available - you can get away with generally 'weaker' strategies, or combine two strategies to produce something new - but they won't necessarily counter as well if the opponents use very specialized counter strategies. :) It's what makes team games fun, since there is so much flexibility and varied strategy combinations!  :woot:
posted on October 29th, 2010, 1:10 am
One of my first FO games online was a 4player FFA..... 1 fed (me) against 3 Klingons.

D7 rush works, but if theres even just a turret or two....... it fails. even worse is if you have a few miners going to rocks w/o a mining station and their ships follow it back to a starbase.
posted on October 29th, 2010, 1:25 am
Drrrrrr wrote:I dont like these strategies...its almost not counterable since the crit mass takes out all things of 1 player while hurting the opponent only slightly.

Actually this is how a lot of other team RTS's work.  Warcraft III ladder games see a single player focused on at one time.  The logic there of course being that the faster you remove 1 of their team, the fewer overall units their team will have in the long run.  Fleetops tends to have a much more spread out gameplay so far as opposed to piling onto one person.

I think part of that is because this community is small, we all want to have fun, and beating out 1 player in a 6 player game doesn't feel right :D.
posted on October 29th, 2010, 1:56 am
It happens tho, happend to me my first day playing FO way back when.

Image < It almost ended up something like that

I still LOL about how I ended up winning, they lost too much, and I captured more than a few ships.....
posted on October 29th, 2010, 4:17 am
What you guys are lamenting isn't rush strategies or ganging up on one player.  What you're talking about is just when one team coordinates and the other team doesn't.

If you're in a 3v3 match, the first thing  you should do is talk to your allies.  Find out exactly what they're doing and why, and decide on a way to work together.  Announce when you change plans, and what you see the enemy doing.  And when one person calls "form up," everybody on your team should have at least a few ships to send to make a combined fleet.

Whichever side can get more ships flying together at the same time will win the battle.  If the enemy all attack one person at once, you need to form up a combined fleet and defend them.  If any player doesn't have a fleet to send, he's lost the game for you and should make plans to build ships faster next time.

On another note, I know ktinga rushes are brutal but once a team has the coordination to run strategies together, tech-rushes are even stronger.  I recently played a 2v2 game where the Dominion enemy rushed a proxy large yard and his friend did a warbird rush.  Once the two first battleships were together with allied repair nearby we had already lost the game.
posted on October 29th, 2010, 10:08 pm
When 4 players are all on differnt teams, and they all rush the new player who they KNOW is new, that is ganging up :p .

But yeah, in the end tactics win the day, Ive beat people and never had larger than 1/3 their fleet size, because I used it intelligently. A swarm of cloaked arty ships zooming about wiping out expansions can make people frusterated.
posted on October 31st, 2010, 4:38 am
Thats why i refuse to play FFA, its a turtle match.
posted on October 31st, 2010, 5:21 am
Ugh.  FFA should never be a Turtle match.  It should be blended.  Static and Fleet defenses to hold your base, raiders that also serve as scouts finding and eliminating targets of opportunity (as well as figuring out where everything is exactly), leading to the launch of a skirmish fleet to test defenses and distract while the assault forces are prepared.

When FFA devolves to turtle contests, somethings wrong.  It's a game of strategy, misdirection and paranoia, not 'wall in and build the death star'.
1, 2