Posting Pics.

Post here comments, questions about the board or the site. Found bugs? What you like, what you don't like.
posted on January 26th, 2012, 8:26 pm
How do you post pics? We will see if this works.

Attachments

FOScreenShot_120121_165120.png
FOScreenShot_111227_025925.png
posted on January 26th, 2012, 8:32 pm
These were random ones I just tested for random posting attempts.

But the first would be, how many Romulan ships can you see?

The other is just a random pic of some funny long distance building. I.e. second constructor building that second turret on the other side of the yard.

These are not the action shots I was trying to get up. But yeah.
posted on January 26th, 2012, 8:33 pm
seems like it works fine and you answered your own question :)

you could also rename the files to make it easier to figure out what's inside them.

if you want to put the images in the main part of the post with the text, then you'll need to host the image somewhere, like photobucket, then hotlink in your post using img bbccode.
posted on January 26th, 2012, 8:37 pm
1. A Nice Shot
2. Caught

Attachments

FOScreenShot_101019_152014.png
FOScreenShot_101103_172426.png
posted on January 26th, 2012, 8:39 pm
posted on January 26th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Yeah, haha, I just didn't want to have a thread where says posting pics then I mess it up somehow and it didn't work.

Not sure what to make of the second part of your post, img bbccode is dutch to me. But I think I'm getting the hang of it just doing this way.

Thanks for the input though. I might look at renaming the files at least, if I can figure that out.

Edit: Oh! Right! ooopsss.....
posted on January 26th, 2012, 8:57 pm
basically having an image appear in your post's text looks like this:

it's not attached to the post, it's hotlinked, the image is stored on the other site's server, doca doesn't have to pay for that bandwidth when you view it (that's why ex astris scientia are so pissy about hotlinking :P )

now to get that image to appear you use bbcode, which is kinda like html, but really easy to use. the stuff above the line reads the following before i push post:

Code: Select all
basically having an image appear in your post's text looks like this:
[img]http://media.smashingmagazine.com/cdn_smash/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/lightning10.jpg[/img]

it's not attached to the post, it's hotlinked, the image ... so pissy about hotlinking :P )

you put the url of the image inside those img tags. you can only put the url of an image that is available on the web, so you need to upload your screenshots to a place like photobucket, then copy that link.
posted on January 26th, 2012, 9:04 pm
I see with the img tags now. Well, I seem to have figured this way out, and it seems like a common enough way to do it from other threads. Might just stick with it.

But good reference for future if I go the other way with text inside.
posted on January 26th, 2012, 9:13 pm
godsvoice wrote:I see with the img tags now. Well, I seem to have figured this way out, and it seems like a common enough way to do it from other threads. Might just stick with it.

But good reference for future if I go the other way with text inside.

the best way to upload screenshots is the attaching way you are doing now, as you aren't relying on any sites other than fleetops.net. if you hotlink an image and the host deletes it, it disappears from your post too.

the hotlinking is mainly useful for really large images or images that are already on the web. you can do more with hotlinked images, such as make them links (like in my sig) and put them next to the text that describes them. perhaps the forum upgrade will give the ability to have attached images appear inline, currently all attachments stay at the bottom of posts.