Map Objects, Part 1

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on March 28th, 2012, 9:25 am
yep we do indeed have some plans for more dynamic map events. The next patch might include a few experiments for map makers to play with, like the ideas Dominus proposed here. If you have any more ideas or features.. We are still collecting :woot:
posted on March 28th, 2012, 9:53 am
Optec wrote:yep we do indeed have some plans for more dynamic map events. The next patch might include a few experiments for map makers to play with, like the ideas Dominus proposed here. If you have any more ideas or features.. We are still collecting :woot:

Would anyone else be interested in seeing some BOTF style random events (echo papa drone, crystaline entity, Husnak raiders, etc.).
posted on March 28th, 2012, 2:33 pm
I think random, or simply unstable wormholes would be cool(probably already mentioned).  They could work just like the asteroid, only being present on the map for a certain amount of time.  You could have two pairs that went to oposite corners of the map, each appearing on offset cycles making it appear that they moved, or simply make one of them move around. 

It could look something like this. O representing a stationary unstable wormhole, o representing the other end, wandering around the map.

minute one.
.........   No pair visible

minute two

........o
....O....  Pair1 visible

minute three

o........
....O....  Pair2 visible

minute four

....O....  Pair3 visible
.........o

minute five

....O...  Pair4 visible
o........

minute six.
.........   No pair visible

Each time, o and O are a completely new wormhole set with one wormholes location always the same and the others being different for each pair.
posted on March 31st, 2012, 10:40 am
i'm trying to think a bit less conventional, so if it would be to complecated or whatever just say so.....

would it be posible to make custom nebula's? just like you could put a ship on a map with only half crew could you make a nebula where the map maker could adjust the amount of damage per second it does to the hull, shields or overall damage. and could tick boxes if it should disable cloack, shields, sensors, specials or render the ship invisible?

if its posible the mapmakers would have a lot of freedom in balancing the map with nebulas for all races and there would not be a list with 100 diferent nebula's to get a simular but still more limited result....

And the tooltip would not be that hard to make i would imagine as it would be like a list of properties. But the player would actualy have to investigate the nebulas before using them as they can't just remember colours.
posted on April 3rd, 2012, 3:41 pm
What about mines? I do not mean antimatter mines (which, when activated, follow the starship), but classic mines. (which, when activated, explode)
The attachment contains an example of what I mean. (the mine, in the map editor, is in the category "Non Player Races/Non Player (page 1)"; to be active its team must be an enemy team.)

Attachments

MineTest.zip
(5.38 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
ketchup_chips
posted on April 11th, 2012, 2:39 am
Great ideas!  :D
posted on April 13th, 2012, 2:05 am
I love the idea of "Space Hulks". I keep envisioning Empok Nor from the DS9 episode "The Magnificent Ferengi". The idea of an abandoned, damaged starbase floating upside down out there, ripe for the taking is so cool. After investing a lot of resources repairing it, it could be a floating platform of doom! But players would have to spend considerable time fixing it, not just say "hey cool, a starbase." and two seconds later it's fully operational.

Attachments

Empok  Nor.jpg
posted on April 13th, 2012, 9:30 am
Batleth777 wrote:.... floating upside down ......

i would prefer if it wasn't floating upside down or anything rediculous like that lol, even thoug it shows the idea of being inactive on a tv screen i personaly never apreciated it.

that everything has the same down and upside bothers me enough on its own lol
posted on April 13th, 2012, 9:52 am
yeah upside down makes zero sense in space from a realism and tv show pov, but...

the fact that all stations are built on the same horizontal plane is a just a gameplay thing, there's no real need to build stations so neatly as all ships are shown to be very manoeuvrable in the show. so upside down as a gameplay thing would be acceptable to me, just as building all stations neatly is.
posted on April 13th, 2012, 10:04 am
Upside down makes some sense in a TV show; what better way to show planet-livers it's not the identical-looking station you always see without a new model?

Just flip it on its side and they'll notice it's not the same.
posted on April 13th, 2012, 11:04 am
Tyler wrote:Upside down makes some sense in a TV show; what better way to show planet-livers it's not the identical-looking station you always see without a new model?

Just flip it on its side and they'll notice it's not the same.

it was already done in dialogue, they said it was empok nor and that it was the same model of station as terok nor/ds9. showing it lopsided just assumes the audience is too stupid to not be confused. like we were so idiotic that we wouldn't believe the dialogue and would shout at the tv: "it looks like ds9 so it must be ds9"

there was no need for it to be shown as different from ds9, they could have just made a new shot or edited an old shot, with ds9 unlit, or maybe added a little bit of unrepaired damage to a docking arm.

as it was said to be the same type of station, we would have expected it to look similar.

we already accepted that they made it the same type of station so they could be cheap on interior sets, i would have also accepted a reused/slightly edited exterior establishing shot of the station, it wasn't even a very important shot. everything important happened inside.  i liked the ep.
posted on April 13th, 2012, 11:43 am
You seem to be under the impression that episode writers believe their viewers have brains, naturally it's going to be emphasised that it's a ghost station because they don't see viewers that way. A wise precaution, considering it's made in America.

Since it's in space, making it look normal would make the same amount of sense but that wouldn't get the 'ghost ship' effect quite as well. It wouldn't look quite as off if it was just a stock shot.
posted on April 13th, 2012, 12:26 pm
Tyler wrote:You seem to be under the impression that episode writers believe their viewers have brains, naturally it's going to be emphasised that it's a ghost station because they don't see viewers that way. A wise precaution, considering it's made in America.

:lol: on most sites that would start a really funny flamewar.

Tyler wrote:Since it's in space, making it look normal would make the same amount of sense but that wouldn't get the 'ghost ship' effect quite as well. It wouldn't look quite as off if it was just a stock shot.

imo it wouldn't need to look off or ghosty. the audience can gather from the dialogue that it's disused, but it shouldn't need to look so from space. really, i would just expect it to look the same as ds9 but with no lights on. maybe some unrepaired damage. the runabout can approach from any angle it likes, so it wouldn't need to look lopsided.

they probably couldn't afford to damage the ds9 model lol.
posted on April 13th, 2012, 3:15 pm
Personally, I thought the "canted to one side" visual for Empok Nor was well done. It both played with the usual expectation that stations are built to a common orientation, acted as a reminder for scene transitions and returns from advert breaks that the action was continuing in that setting, and gives viewers tuning in part-way through that "they're not in Kansas any more" (to borrow a phrase).
posted on April 13th, 2012, 3:21 pm
Batleth777 wrote: But players would have to spend considerable time fixing it, not just say "hey cool, a starbase." and two seconds later it's fully operational.

Hmm, 90% of the tv episodes last few minutes feature exactly that though.. "Powers restored sir" or similar sentiments and then off they go veering off to the left and the happy music fades them out. I think there should be happy music at the end of the game, once you've defeated your enemy, just like each show has.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5