The Coalition War, ENT era Modification

1, 2, 3
posted on April 11th, 2011, 3:58 am
I thought, I might make a thread in the correct section, having posted a little about this in my odf question thread. Some members here who aren't members of MSFC may find something of interest here.

In a nutshell, the Coalition war is my take on the Enterprise series, most notably the Earth-Romulan war. However it has a twist, it's set in a parallel universe, much like the Terran Empire is a parallel universe to the one we have seen since the start of the TOS. In this universe everything basically is the same, up until the end of the ENT series, the Federation was never formed, and in it's place the Interstellar Coalition, a mutual defence alliance reigns. Starting in 2157, the Coalition is at war with the Romulan Star Empire, a group of Vulcan off-shoot species who have banded together in what they perceive as preserving their species from the conquering human war machine.

Basically this is a Fleet Operations mod, as FO has the features that I was looking for. Having modded stock A2 since it first came out, after having modded it's predecessor for a couple of years before that, I got tired of not being able to do this or that, and have cancelled mods before because of this (notably Parallels).

I am focusing of Earth to start with and will slowly branch out to do other species as I complete Earth. I will focus on one species at a time and then go back and do avatar options for them. In the end I am hoping to have around six factions (Coalition, Klingon Empire, Romulan Star Empire, Suliban to name four).

Keeping in with the ENT era I am keeping models down to a min, with 6 combat units, 3 non-combat and about 5 stations per species. I will finish off with an link of the ENT fleet, I'll probably not update this thread as much as MSFC, being based there and that's ultimately where the mod will be available when complete. But I thought you all may be interested in this none the less.

United Earth Combat Fleet Grid by ~Majestic-MSFC on deviantART
posted on April 11th, 2011, 10:00 am
very nice, i like your take on the legacy poseidon, removing the torpedo lawnchair from the top. that always reminded me of the miranda too much.

the neptune is nice to see too.

i like your yorktown better than the legacy one as well

i notice the absence of the nx class, is your enterprise class a modification of that design?

any plans for this ship, maybe as a miner:
Sarajevo type - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki
posted on April 11th, 2011, 1:00 pm
Myles wrote:very nice, i like your take on the legacy poseidon, removing the torpedo lawnchair from the top. that always reminded me of the miranda too much.

Yes same with me, hence the removal of the torp pod.

Myles wrote:i notice the absence of the nx class, is your enterprise class a modification of that design?

The Enterprise class is the replacement of the NX in this universe, the NX design was never made. I do have high hopes of eventually getting a copy of the Legacy NX class and re-texturing it for those who do not like my version.

Myles wrote:any plans for this ship, maybe as a miner:
Sarajevo type - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

I do not feel that the Sarajevo is a human design, considering what we had seen in the series, the design lacked the human feel to it. I am trying to get some consistency with each species. I have already got a cargo and construction ship modelled, I just need to texture them. As for a miner I have been working on a design, however I don't like the command section that I made so I will be re-doing that one. 
posted on April 11th, 2011, 1:56 pm
I doubt the Sarajevo-type would go well as a miner; the one on the show was used as a Transport and described (in design sketches) as an observation ship.

Consistency is overrated and one of the things Trek games need less of. Lack of consistency is one of the things Trek Humans have in common with real-life ones.
posted on April 11th, 2011, 3:01 pm
Majestic wrote:
I do not feel that the Sarajevo is a human design, considering what we had seen in the series, the design lacked the human feel to it. I am trying to get some consistency with each species. I have already got a cargo and construction ship modelled, I just need to texture them. As for a miner I have been working on a design, however I don't like the command section that I made so I will be re-doing that one. 

I agree, it doesn't look very human at all.  Maybe a good npc freighter, but not a human miner.
posted on April 11th, 2011, 4:20 pm
Tyler wrote:I doubt the Sarajevo-type would go well as a miner; the one on the show was used as a Transport and described (in design sketches) as an observation ship.

well there is no need to transport people in a fleetops based game, unless the humans are gonna have a troop transport lol. and observation isnt really needed either, so its reasonable that starfleet would modify an existing design to transport rocks instead of people. they turned a miranda into a transport and supply ship by tng.

i agree it doesnt look human, maybe the vulcans helped them develop a sub warp 5 ship (maybe warp 2 or 3) with earth based tech and a vulcan ship hull design they knew was simple enough that humans couldnt get it wrong  ^-^
posted on April 11th, 2011, 4:31 pm
Last edited by Tyler on April 11th, 2011, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just as reasonable they'd give it a role that would require less extensive modifications, such as scouting; observation ships would be better translated into something to scout. If it's built to observe, then scout would be much closer than hauling freight.

I don't get the 'non-Human' thing, non of the Earth designs had much in common.
posted on April 11th, 2011, 4:36 pm
Tyler wrote:I don;t get the 'non-Human' thing, non of the Earth designs had much in common.

well we only saw 3 earth ship classes in canon, the nx class, the intrepid type (called neptune class here) and that plectrum shaped ship (called pioneer here). they all share common design traits, such as similar hull texture and window shape, weapons, and engines. the warp nacelles appeared similar.

presumably the nx class is much faster, with the intrepid maybe maxing out at around warp 3. as when they wanna form a blockade in a later episode, the two nx class ships are the only ships considered fast enough to be of use.
posted on April 11th, 2011, 4:52 pm
Last edited by Anonymous on April 11th, 2011, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler wrote:I don't get the 'non-Human' thing, non of the Earth designs had much in common.

At this point, we can assume that all starfleet ships were at least similar in appearance.  That ship does not resemble any  starfleet ship ever seen.  As you said though, 'human' ships could look however the owner wanted, but in this case, my bad choice of words means starfleet, not humans as a people. Just as we say, a ship doesn't look very romulan when we are really refering to the ships we see used by their military.  We don;t really know what a romulan civilan ship looks like, but I would presume it would look like anything considering it would be privately owned.

In this case, the mining ships and constructions ships would be starfleet non combat ships.  Still military ships, even though they are for non combat purposes.  I think we can assume that would look as though they would visually fit with their other ships.   :blush:
posted on April 11th, 2011, 5:41 pm
Glad to see you posting news here mate - I'm looking forward to the mod  :thumbsup:
posted on April 11th, 2011, 11:27 pm
Tyler wrote:Consistency is overrated and one of the things Trek games need less of. Lack of consistency is one of the things Trek Humans have in common with real-life ones.

Well you won't like any of my work, any of my mods, as I believe a fleet should have consistency, look like they are built with the same materials and construction methods.

I guess you cant make everyone happy.

Myles wrote:i agree it doesnt look human, maybe the vulcans helped them develop a sub warp 5 ship (maybe warp 2 or 3) with earth based tech and a vulcan ship hull design they knew was simple enough that humans couldnt get it wrong  ^-^

I have always thought it was an alien design that Earth purchased, but we have no proof to prove or disprove that theory.

Adm. Zaxxon wrote:As you said though, 'human' ships could look however the owner wanted, but in this case, my bad choice of words means starfleet, not humans as a people.

In this case, the mining ships and constructions ships would be starfleet non combat ships.  Still military ships, even though they are for non combat purposes.  I think we can assume that would look as though they would visually fit with their other ships.  :blush:

The non-combat ships mainly freighters belong to the Earth Cargo Service as seen in the series. I currenty have a J-type cargo freighter build (aka ECS Horizon, Travis Mayweather's family ship). I am considering replacing it with a Y class and use the J class later in a mission or something.

Dominus_Noctis wrote:Glad to see you posting news here mate - I'm looking forward to the mod  :thumbsup:

Thank you, I thought some here may be interested.
posted on April 11th, 2011, 11:32 pm
Majestic wrote:Well you won't like any of my work, any of my mods, as I believe a fleet should have consistency, look like they are built with the same materials and construction methods.

I guess you cant make everyone happy.

Less considtency is a personal preference, not a strict rule I follow when picking games. There tends to be consistency in FO and I play that.
posted on April 11th, 2011, 11:52 pm
I like things to be consistent thats why i always sit in the same seat at school lol. But really i like for all the ships to look like they belong together. A hodgepodge fleet might be ok for some races but not the federation.
posted on April 11th, 2011, 11:57 pm
The range of ships from different layouts and eras doesn't agree with Feds being consistent. The only consistency is that they're as inconsistent as anyone else.
posted on April 16th, 2011, 11:34 pm
A quick preview video I threw together of some early in-game action.

1, 2, 3