Announcing Sigma

1, 2, 3, 4
posted on February 1st, 2010, 1:36 am
Last edited by The Undying Nephalim on May 10th, 2010, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After nearly a year in developmet, Sigma, a total convertion for A2, is almost ready to showcase it's first two playable races. Recently I decided it would be wise to transfer all assents to the FO engine since stock A2 simply is not capable of supporting what needs to be done. I decided to put up a small demonstration video on youtube if anyone is interested:

If you are interested pay a visit at our website: Sigma Wiki

I want to extend my sincere thanks to the Fleet Ops dev team for all their work this last decade. I am constantly advertising Fleet Ops everywhere and I just have to say Fleet Ops is simply amazing and the modified engine you have created is astounding for RTS development. Sooner or later you guys will be getting a hefty donation from me for bringing Fleet Ops to the A2 community and providing this sandbox for us modders to play in.
posted on February 1st, 2010, 2:00 am
Nice man!  I remember trying out your teaser mod of the V.R.A. and really liked the concepts.  I think people will definitely be interested, as you do good work.  Post when you have it done and I'll download it for sure! :thumbsup: 
posted on February 1st, 2010, 8:59 am
looking good keep up the good work
posted on February 1st, 2010, 10:57 am
Looks cool. A very creative mod featuring its own universe, looking forward to the releases :thumbsup:
posted on February 1st, 2010, 12:54 pm
Looks very interesting, indeed.  :thumbsup:
posted on February 1st, 2010, 8:50 pm
Nice video mate, and looks quite good :) . Excellent work and keep up the good modding  :thumbsup:
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 1:20 am
YAY!

I loved your beta release. :thumbsup:
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 2:27 am
OMG im going into mod overload lol.....Sigma, A3 concept, BSG add on, and FO 3.1.2 omg omg OMG OMFNG!! lol.....

Sigma is looking very cool. I cant wait to see a 1.0 release and take it for a whirl.
posted on February 2nd, 2010, 1:32 pm
May I be curious if there will be an FF release for the stock version? Or maybe even the patched version?
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 12:05 am
Some really nice models and a lot of work has gone into this. Very well done.
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 12:55 am
First of all, great work mate - cant wait for you to release it  :thumbsup:

Now let me elaborate a bit  ^-^
I absolutely love your made-up universe! The 2 races looked diverse and their models looked cool. I hope u'll make more than 2 races though :)

Another thing I very much liked, like u do :P, is the scale of things. I would very much enjoy if the mods would incorporate into FO a scale similar to "reality", with ships strenght adjusted accordingly. We would see less battleships, but really isnt that the case in ST universe as well (fewer but a lot stronger).
Another thing that was quite nice on the eye are the weapon effects... I like you didnt just make simple projectiles like torpedoes are in ST - you made up your own with the curling effect :D It really did work well IMHO though.
Some things that also really impressed me, though I dont know if you ment to do them or were they just an accident, are the "misty" effect in the first yard (I didnt see it in the second though :() and the work-bees from your con ship. They looked absolutely gorgeous - I very much liked that they didnt reenter the con ship but rather flew around it - it looked top notch  :thumbsup:

The thing that I just didnt like was the propulsion effects though, those little ring thingies didnt look very good IMO. Another problem I could forsee (and was evident in some instances of the vid) is the pathing problems... With such a huge scale u're going to have problems, though you could solve them by simply making the maps that much bigger :)
The thing I really hated though.....

....is the fact that you didnt show the battle at the end :P

So let me summerize: I really loved it, count me in as a player when you release it ;) 
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 2:19 am
Wow very cool I havnt tried the beta though but I looked at the site and cant wait!
posted on February 3rd, 2010, 3:13 am
This looks interesting. I'm going to have to get this when you're done.
posted on February 4th, 2010, 2:53 pm
Hmm.... would you be open to a possible 6th race? My imagination cannot resist coming up with possible races every time I come across a new mod.
posted on February 13th, 2010, 10:57 pm
For those of you that wanted to see more combat, here's a two part video with pretty much nothing but combat:

YouTube
- Sigma Combat Demo (Part 1)

YouTube
- Sigma Combat Demo (Part 2)

-=B!G=-The Black Baron wrote:
Now let me elaborate a bit  ^-^
I absolutely love your made-up universe! The 2 races looked diverse and their models looked cool. I hope u'll make more than 2 races though :)

Yeah there will be 5 races total as of now. Each one is going to play drastically different. The Zevestivan seen in the first video are the only race that plays like stock A2 races. For instance one of the races will be able to move very rapidly across the map and hog resources, though they need hundreds of tiny ships to do actual damage since they are so weak. Another race has stations that break apart into smaller mobile ships so they can move around the map. The last race has a single starbase that can continually expand itself and get bigger.  :D

-=B!G=-The Black Baron wrote:
We would see less battleships, but really isnt that the case in ST universe as well (fewer but a lot stronger).

One thing I always hated was the battleship rush in most RTS games. In Sigma there's a rock-paper-scissors relationship between destroyers, cruisers, and battleships. Cruisers best Destroyers, Battleships best Cruisers, and Destroyers best battleships. Hopefully this will stop players from spamming their biggest ships as an opponent can counter with amassing destroyers.

-=B!G=-The Black Baron wrote:Some things that also really impressed me, though I dont know if you ment to do them or were they just an accident, are the "misty" effect in the first yard (I didnt see it in the second though :() and the work-bees from your con ship. They looked absolutely gorgeous - I very much liked that they didnt reenter the con ship but rather flew around it - it looked top notch  :thumbsup:

The misty effect was an accident... but since you mentioned it I think it will be part of their yards now. I'll be sure to mention you for bringing up that idea sooner or later...  :thumbsup: As for the bees I think that was an unexpected side effect as well. For some reason they refuse to return to their constructors half of the time... I'm not sure why but it does look cool.

-=B!G=-The Black Baron wrote:The thing that I just didnt like was the propulsion effects though, those little ring thingies didnt look very good IMO.

Don't worry I'm getting rid of the engine effects... they actually cause massive sprite display problems when many ships are on screen at once so they are one of the first things getting axed as soon as my modeler shows up...

-=B!G=-The Black Baron wrote:Another problem I could forsee (and was evident in some instances of the vid) is the pathing problems... With such a huge scale u're going to have problems, though you could solve them by simply making the maps that much bigger :)

As soon as my modeler shows up again we'll be fixing that as well. We're going to add an empty box area around stations (sort of how most yards in FO have that big blank area in front of them when you place them). That way stations will be forced to be spaced apart and give room for ships to move around more.
1, 2, 3, 4