What is the selection sod exactly?

I want my 15 rapid-fire quantum torpedo launchers Uber-Defiant now! - Get help from modders. Share your work. Discuss modifications.
posted on December 29th, 2016, 6:28 pm
Where is this actually seen in the game?
posted on December 29th, 2016, 10:10 pm
It is the selection bubble around any ship, station, moon etc any object basically.

FO has replace it with a 2d sprite. Actually an improvement I think (hence why I went for a similar approach in KA2). These sprites are also race-specific, unlike the old selection SOD
posted on December 30th, 2016, 12:39 am
How does one make a race specific selection sod? I am planning to put in species 8472 and I am try to figure out the ins and outs of the game.
posted on December 30th, 2016, 1:02 am
Well, the selection SOD files have to be named select_racename, that is the name of the odf file. So, my Tholian one is "select_species8472.sod"

The SOD files themselves are in fact a blank plane with a sprite referenced. I found it easier to copy an existing file and alter it with a hex editor to change the sprite it references. So for example, my Tholian one (select_species8472.sod) references "selallTholianEmpire", then in the fleetops.spr file, I have this

Code: Select all
selectall_Tholian      select_all_Tholian   0   0   512   512
@sprite_node selallTholianEmpire selectall_Tholian const (80,80) (1,1,1) billboard

select_all_Tholian being the tga file.
posted on December 30th, 2016, 6:28 am
you put in the tholians? Care to shar any screen shots??? :rolleyes: