New Map - Supernova

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
1, 2
posted on May 9th, 2010, 4:25 am
Last edited by Anonymous on May 14th, 2010, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
New map!
# Can be played 3v3, or 2v2, or 1v1.
# Features wormholes to navigate long distances.
# Features anti turtle measures.
# Features a no man's land full of resources.
# Map is 36000x36000
There is also some scatted nebula in no mans land to use for strategic purposes.
http://phoenix-d.webs.com/apps/wiki/sklars-maps

Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

supernova4.0.zip
(83.87 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
posted on May 9th, 2010, 5:17 pm
Nice looking map. Will give it a try in a few days. I have not even installed 3.12 yet.
posted on May 9th, 2010, 5:30 pm
Lol 3.12 is awesome..

Here are some Screenshots of the map.

posted on May 9th, 2010, 5:45 pm
lots of blue.

also i dont like maps where u can turtle so easy. everyone will turtle the wormholes as they are the only way in. even worse in 312 now that borg and romulans can turtle as well. its like nirvana 2 with more res in the middle.
posted on May 9th, 2010, 6:10 pm
Excellent, nice to see a new maps page on Astrometrics :D. Maybe you could add those pictures and map to your astro-page too; just to give it a visual element :)

I think one thing about turtling on this map is that there are 3 ways in, which might help to alleviate the turtle effect. Maybe, you might want to delete the moons in the turtle areas though :). That way it'd take the strategic emphasis off the sides, giving rise to a situation like, "well I could turtle here but it'd only really give me a temporary safe retreat zone, which if I bottle into, then the enemy will take over the map and eventually overrun me." That might reduce any reliance on turtling  :shifty:
posted on May 9th, 2010, 6:18 pm
3 wormholes but three players, each one can turtle, i guess if all 3 opposing players team up on one wormhole it might work. but all three defending fleets could be there too. if all three players went risner feds and built up a grid of photon turrets which are OP at the moment.
posted on May 9th, 2010, 6:52 pm
In that case, I'd say, remove the moons from the sides. Without anything valuable to protect, turtlers will be forced to come out and play or be overwhelmed.
posted on May 9th, 2010, 7:12 pm
Good ideas. I used to have nebula that hid the wormholes in the sides so that enemy fleets could hide and destroy your turtling but the nebula and wormhole didn't like each other and decided to spit ships out across the asteroids.

OK i have two ideas... one is remove all moons from the sides and put more in the middle so you have to come out and can't hide your resources and another is limit the inside to 2 moons and more outside so there is no effective turtling. 
posted on May 9th, 2010, 7:42 pm
@Phoenix
How do i actually add the map download to your site?
posted on May 9th, 2010, 8:13 pm
The usual course of action is to send me a PM on this forum if you need any files uploaded :)

I sense you're looking to replace the megauploads link so I've sent you a PM with the relevant links ^-^
posted on May 9th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Ah thanks ill have to edit to version 3.5 in my map to fix turtle issues...
posted on May 9th, 2010, 9:19 pm
Cool :), just let me know when you're ready to upload and I'll get you some links.
posted on May 9th, 2010, 9:42 pm
Alright. I wanted to run some ideas by you guys to see what you think. To combat turtleness Id remove the moons in between the 3 players on each side and limit the player to only 1 set of moons near the base so that they can't hide behind turrets and live to tell the tale they'd have to seek resources in no mans land giving that area more purpose and importance. 
posted on May 9th, 2010, 10:08 pm
Yep :). One of the key things about map making is to "encourage" the player to move out into the wilderness. The best (and only) incentive at the moment is with moons. In general, most players could make a worthwhile living from 2-3 moon pairs. I think that after that, it almost gets a bit too much and players have a little too much to spend. General good practice, is to make that first pair of moons relatively easy to get to, just to give people a steady starting point and then have you moons spread apart beyond that. :)

Also, check out the Map Design section on the Hitch Hikers Guide to FO. There are many good tips to be found there :)
http://fleetopsguide.freecp.net/guide/Map%20Editing/design/
posted on May 9th, 2010, 10:33 pm
Alright heres what i have come up with. If i take away the asteroid belt then move the wormholes farther out but not to far so it doesn't become a tech fest but can still be a large map. Then just give each player one set of moons and encourage expansions into the no man's land.
1, 2