Current Project Status

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91
posted on July 24th, 2023, 2:38 am
Same here! Pinned Chrome tab to forever lurk. :thumbsup:
posted on October 25th, 2023, 7:02 pm
I am also hoping against hope. While slowly working on my own mod to pass the time :lol:
posted on January 15th, 2024, 6:22 am
A friendly Hello from the past. We all hold out hope our community will regrow and something new will take place but if life has taught me anything changes take place and as we get older our time grows less and less for hobbies and more and more for family. For those of you who remember me I will always think fondly of the many years this community spent together building great things and encouraging others to do so. Always showing support for even the craziest of ideas. Thank you fleet ops Devs, Community for holding onto these memories. They meant something to all of us. Ill check in again in a few months. Stay safe everyone and LLAP.
posted on January 18th, 2024, 10:08 pm
Last edited by JanB on January 28th, 2024, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've been hex-editing a lot lately so at least we'll have a modified version of the game engine while we're all waiting for this new engine from the original dev team. I managed to build on top of the Fleet Ops 4.0 engine, that itself already brings some improvements over the Fleet Ops 3.2.7 game engine and added some features like 50% larger menu screens (now 1200x900 instead of 800x600). I've also made a stock version of Fleet Ops compatible with this new game engine version, and included that as a submod in Roots 4.0.

Download link can be found here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/fleet-ops-ro ... s-roots-40
posted on January 19th, 2024, 10:24 am
Can you make it available for only the stock game? I mean, your mod is great and I love it, but I would like to use these improvements in my own mod and it seems inelegant to build a mod on your mod :sweatdrop:
posted on January 19th, 2024, 11:11 am
k_merse wrote:Can you make it available for only the stock game? I mean, your mod is great and I love it, but I would like to use these improvements in my own mod and it seems inelegant to build a mod on your mod :sweatdrop:

A compatible version* of stock Fleet Ops is already included as a loadable mod in the \Data\Mods\Fleet Ops 4.0 folder. Basically all you have to do to swap it with Roots, to make stock Fleet Ops the main game and make Roots the loadable mod instead is:

- create the folder "\Data\Mods\Roots"

- move (cut and paste) everything (except the "Mods" folder) from the "\Data" folder into the "\Data\Mods\Roots" folder

- copy everything from the "\Data\Mods\Fleet Ops 4.0" folder to the "\Data folder"

- delete the "\Data\Mods\Fleet Ops 4.0" folder.

Do note that the game engine modifications require the modified Armada2.ldl file, which is based on the GOG version of Armada 2 (which doesn't have a CD-check), so you can't just give it away without some kind of check if the user already owns a valid copy of the GOG version, or an original Armada 2 CD-ROM.

* Changes I made to stock Fleet Ops (4.0) are:

- modified audio.odf (the FO 4.0 engine handles audio volume attenuation over distances differently)

- admiralslog.odf (necessary for the larger shell menus)

- fixed a techtree bug for the Dominion

- lower cloak percentages in RTS_CFG.h (otherwise Romuland and Klingon AIs will do nothing but park their cloaked ships somewhere)

- giving some cloakable ships special energy to prevent the game engine modifications from allowing these ships to fire weapons while cloaked

- added a LOD to high-poly cloakable shop models (.sod files) to reduce the framerate hit when they're cloaked

- scaled up/prettified many of the shell menu/button bitmaps for the larger shell menus

- set craft default movement autonomy to medium in RTS_CFG.h

- added better textures and models to most background objects.
1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91