frigate fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

You feel like a battlecruiser is too weak or a race too strong? Go ahead and discuss it here :)
1, 2
posted on March 22nd, 2011, 12:26 pm
i recently lost three games in a row as klingon versus two romulan opponents that went straight frigate spam from the start. i scouted to be sure, but in every game i expected (and got) frigates, and every strategy i tried failed horribly. the best bet are vorcha with some sangs maybe, but i still lost most of the engagements. additionally, my fleets get easily caught by pinging talons, which in turn run and get out while the frigates dismantle my battleships. i'm definitely not the best player around, but i have been playing for a while and know my counters and passives. my opponent does not care at all about these, and still can pull out seemingly effortless victories by just spamming one ship. so in the fourth game i picked random and got feds. wow, intrepids work wonders.. throw in a little phaser turret here and there, some mobile cloak detect and the roms are suddenly not so strong anymore.. as klingon, i can build brels to catch maybe one retreating frigate (if they even need to retreat, and if there is still a brel around at this point) or scout stations, which are cheap but can be easily avoided or just blown up. ok, what about hurting their mining so that they can't build so many ships? wait, frigates are dirt cheap for their power (small klingon yard = cannon fodder factory) and after the first raiding run you can be sure that a talon is around to decloak the fragile fast harassers.. not to mention that the main battle fleet is weakened if additional pirate ships are built.
so, seasoned veterans, what would you recommend instead of rage-quitting fleetops forever?
posted on March 22nd, 2011, 12:57 pm
to cool down the rage a bit: the frigate says byebye next patch ^-^

But of course there will be nasty replacements :cloak:
posted on March 22nd, 2011, 2:26 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on March 22nd, 2011, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are many ships with bugged passives at the moment (where the passives are too strong). In this case, the Frigate is dealing 100% damage with its pulses to all sized ships, the Intrepid is taking 60% less from medium, and the Vor'cha is taking 80-90% less depending on the target, and the Frigate is taking 60% less damage from pulses on rank one, and much much less on ranks 2 and up.

However, since Frigates do not affect small sized beam based ships in a more severe manner, you are left with the same balance as 3.1.3-4 (except with a pricier Frigate): as a result, any manner of spamming K'beajQ (such as in an Early Qaw'Duj start) will work wonders. Unfortunately this means that counters are much harder currently and will cause significant balancing issues that people start to notice over time.
posted on March 22nd, 2011, 5:34 pm
Optec wrote:to cool down the rage a bit: the frigate says byebye next patch ^-^

But of course there will be nasty replacements :cloak:

i hope you remove all recharges and give it all to the borg

why?

cuz the borg love hogging on all the regen stuff
posted on March 22nd, 2011, 7:55 pm
oops sorry forgot the closing tag:

i'm otherwise quite happy about the balancing. it works really well most of the time, despite the huge differences between the factions.
posted on March 22nd, 2011, 8:00 pm
Don't worry, will be fixed in the next patch :) . Just hang on in the meantime  :blush:
posted on March 22nd, 2011, 8:48 pm
thanks, but now i have mixed feelings about that patch  :ermm:
i guess one man's frigate is another man's vorcha..

nah, no worries, i probably just need to play more often to get better :D
posted on April 5th, 2011, 6:14 pm
ohh a new eviler frigate  :(
posted on April 7th, 2011, 3:41 am
Dominus_Noctis wrote:There are many ships with bugged passives at the moment (where the passives are too strong). In this case, the Frigate is dealing 100% damage with its pulses to all sized ships, the Intrepid is taking 60% less from medium, and the Vor'cha is taking 80-90% less depending on the target, and the Frigate is taking 60% less damage from pulses on rank one, and much much less on ranks 2 and up.

However, since Frigates do not affect small sized beam based ships in a more severe manner, you are left with the same balance as 3.1.3-4 (except with a pricier Frigate): as a result, any manner of spamming K'beajQ (such as in an Early Qaw'Duj start) will work wonders. Unfortunately this means that counters are much harder currently and will cause significant balancing issues that people start to notice over time.

Why not compile a fix and issue a short term patch, cause this is pretty imbalancing.
posted on April 7th, 2011, 3:57 am
If I have deduced correctly from what Optec has told us, there was a lot of work done on the next patch before the bugged passives was even revealed as a whole :D.  None of us noticed until like 2 months had passed :lol:.

As I understand it there would be a lot of backtracking to do just to fix the problem :(.  It's easier to just wait until everything for the next patch is ready instead of undoing progress already made :blush:.

I dunno about everyone else but we've played for months now with this patch and it's actually been hailed as one of the most balanced thus far :lol:.  I don't think there's any problem with stickin' it out a bit longer :).
posted on April 7th, 2011, 4:44 am
Yep, Boggz is right. the nasty issue was discovered quite late. But I'm currently writing new tools for development, to allow better backtracking or incremental changes.

Nevertheless, the next patch - which will, by the way, include a lot of new features - is not very far away.
posted on April 7th, 2011, 5:04 am
Does that mean its closer then soon!!!????

I love new features, i wonder however if some will be "seperated" from the rest  :lol:
posted on April 7th, 2011, 6:02 am
ah an ambassador separation comment i think :lol:
posted on April 7th, 2011, 6:17 am
Optec wrote:But I'm currently writing new tools for development, to allow better backtracking or incremental changes.

That's what I figured :).  I think it's so funny how none of us (myself included) noticed how the passives where messed up until AFTER we had already hailed 3.1.5 as the most balanced patch yet :lol:.

With Dom workin' on the balancing issues there's no cause for concern.  Boggz himself (that's me) is SUPER picky about fine balancing and if HE trusts Dom then there's no need for concern :lol:.  Nobody drives Dominus more crazy about balance than Boggz. :woot:

Like the last couple patches, we'll no doubt find 3.1.6 to be even balanced than before and well up tournament standards (in which Boggz is SUPER excited to partake :lol).
posted on April 7th, 2011, 7:09 am
Like the last couple patches, we'll no doubt find 3.1.6 to be even balanced than before and well up tournament standards

You mean 3.1.8 or 3.1.9 or something. The whole borg redo is a big undertaking in my humble opinion.
But no matter the number juggling, I'm convinced the next patch will be great and we'll come to love it all.
I hope :P

Does, isn't very far away, mean like, sooner then the afforementioned soon? :P
1, 2