Dominion vs Romulan

You feel like a battlecruiser is too weak or a race too strong? Go ahead and discuss it here :)
1, 2
posted on August 13th, 2010, 4:11 am
Well after going at the romulans 4 times as dominion, mort and I are a loss. The only counter to rheinns is s-2s, which don't really work  very well as they pretty much die before they even get into range lol? And even if I do manage to get enough s-2s to damage the rheins, he will just switch to laheavels or even generex :| I know your gonna tell me, build bombers! but how can you get them in time!? it will take you forever to get enough money just for the prototype, and by the time you production going they will have an different ship!? And bugs do absolutely nothing to Generex frigates, and its just too tech up in time to do anything. So either we are doing something terribly wrong, or this needs to be taken a look at for the next patch.
posted on August 13th, 2010, 4:21 am
T-15s?
posted on August 13th, 2010, 4:22 am
Erm no don't go Bombers :D.  Bombers get countered HARD by Rhienns because they are small sized and take extra damage from long range (not to mention the torpedo miss rate :)).

Bug spam + some S-2 for Alpha white and I think you can handle them Rhienns :D.  Sure the Leahvals will eat up your bugs but the S-2's can pounce on them while the Bugs go for the Rhienns.  The nice thing is that in theory if you plan for both, you can outproduce a Romulan and make better use of your resources :).

Being that it is pretty tough for Dominion to just switch prodution, I'd suggest starting with Bugs/S-2 and at some point adding Bombers to the mix in order to help counter any Leahvals that show up.

Hope that helps :D
posted on August 13th, 2010, 3:37 pm
Last edited by Nebula_Class_Ftw on August 13th, 2010, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-2 and Bugs when Leahvals are about???? That is not going to work Boggz, Leahvals counter Bugs harder than any other counter and Leahvals also counter S-2 very well. I think you would need S-2 with T-15 and B8 to kill the Rhienn/Leahval. Mostly B8 (counters Rhienn with pulses and is medium so takes less from pulses, phase plates less effect on long ranged damage) with a few S-2 and a few T-15 (later on, after you have maxed out B8, unless you're puretech in which case you will need early T-15) might do it. Unfortunately your ships will be slow and will hardly be able to retreat so make sure they stay together and take out the Rom's mining.

I have experienced the problem of trying to counter Rhienn spam supported by Leahvals as Dominion, if they get Disruptor Refits (28 Defense on rank 1!!! and it goes to 31 defense on rank 2 and 34 on rank 3!) or use good Micro on phase plates, the Dominion will lose almost guaranteed.

Unrefitted Rhienns are the absolute worst to come up against as Dominion in the early game since your S-2's damage is reduced by a massize 80%, your Bugs reduced damage by 55%, and your Bombers/B8 by 30%. That's enuff to more than negate the effects of any countering passive except HDSG on S-7. Disruptor refits become more of a worry midgame as their defense is up there with warpins.

Boggz is right that you can outproduce the Romulans, the only problem is that Romulans will kill your ships much faster than you kill theirs, thus they outnumber you by midgame. You could raid the Roms, but they will likely be following you while cloaked and see you coming so they can wipe out your fleet then head for your mining, if you defend your mining so that you can have the same resources they do they will just wipe out your fleet, then your mining. A proxy repair won't help as Dominion ships often die trying to get into a repair yard because they are so damn fragile.
posted on August 13th, 2010, 3:43 pm
Last edited by machinor on August 13th, 2010, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T15 is the safest bet against Romulans. Works nicely against Rihenns and Leahvals. If Rom goes for Generixes, then bugspam him to death.
Fast T15 is the Dominion's prime strategy against cloaked races imho.
posted on August 13th, 2010, 3:53 pm
machinor wrote:T15 is the safest bet against Romulans. Work against Rihenns and Leahvals nicely. If Rom goes for Generixes bugspam him to death.

Yes, the T-15 will do well especially when facing Phase Plates, unfortunately building a large yard so early on may lead to resource trouble that the Rom can use to his advantage, that's why I said to mostly have B8s (if you're Breen of course.)

Generix vs. Bug? Will not work if he goes Frigates or Supports (Frigates will slaughter Bugs, Supports will tank while using plasma bolt to stop any potential ramming.) Might work on Spectres if you mix in some S-2 for Alpha White, but it still sounds pretty difficult as Bugs aren't known for being good at taking damage.
posted on August 13th, 2010, 5:43 pm
True, didn't think about that frigates and supports. With Generix I mainly think about Spectres. :sweatdrop:
Well then I'll say go with B-5 oder right into V-13. As Breen I'd say Breen Cruisers should do fine with their Single Stage Energy Conduits.
posted on August 13th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Yep T-15's will work too, but teching to a large yard can be very debilitating and Gens will turn your T-15 inside out.

I still think that the 3 base vessels (Bugs/S-2/Bombers) working together with Alpha white can very adequately handle whatever you come against.
posted on August 13th, 2010, 5:58 pm
Last edited by Nebula_Class_Ftw on August 13th, 2010, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machinor wrote:B-5 oder right into V-13.

You forgot to translate that word.  :lol:

I'm not sure about Breen Cruisers since they can't cloak retreat most of the time I use them (bad energy rate means that if you ambush with cloak it will take like 30 seconds before recloaking) and are really slow. I have seen them kill Generix but that required the help of some K'Vorts. Breen wouldn't do too well vs. Spectres or Supports (plasma bolt will stop the Breen from cloaking away), but I think they may be the best Dominion counter to Frigates. Unfortunately frigates are the most balanced of the Generixes and thus aren't used as much as their OP brethren.

Boggz wrote:Yep T-15's will work too, but teching to a large yard can be very debilitating and Gens will turn your T-15 inside out.

I still think that the 3 base vessels (Bugs/S-2/Bombers) working together with Alpha white can very adequately handle whatever you come against.

I have tried that 3 base vessel tactic vs. Butterbread as Roms, the results are half my ships die while the enemy doesn't lose anything. In desperate attempts to not lose too many ships I retreated but Rhienns are about the same speed as Bombers and S-2. Bugs didn't help and ram has a tendency to fail when you desperately need it (or the ram is repaired by auto-repair.)
posted on August 16th, 2010, 2:12 am
Ive got to agree with nebbie on this one  B)
posted on August 16th, 2010, 2:41 am
i love how no one said anything about b-8 troop ship....
posted on August 16th, 2010, 11:54 am
Arash8472 wrote:i love how no one said anything about b-8 troop ship....

nebbie mentioned it
posted on August 16th, 2010, 4:12 pm
Arash8472 wrote:i love how no one said anything about b-8 troop ship....

Yeah those things are awesome but you need to be breen in order to get them ;)
posted on August 16th, 2010, 6:15 pm
Or you can send in one prototype, but that's a pretty expensive ship even with the cost reduction I think. :lol:
posted on August 16th, 2010, 6:16 pm
Cheaper than a normal B-8 :)
1, 2