Norway and Excelsior II: Platform Synergizers

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2
posted on November 5th, 2012, 6:26 pm
It was a joke myles, I remember what it did....

I always like assault mode too, it often got overlooked because of plasma, but it was a nice one-two punch.
posted on November 5th, 2012, 8:03 pm
Dominus_Noctis wrote:
Andre27 wrote:The plasma coil was an awesome cloak buster though and will be sorely missed.

Unfortunately of course, the Plasma Coil did not hit cloaked units ^-^

i think he means using it on ships that are just starting/exiting cloaking (and have shields down for a fixed period). the weapon was hitscan and didn't need perfect aim so it could be deployed instantly. it affected all ships, so you were basically hoping it would disable a weapons subsystem. at the very least it means the enemy has a bunch of ships with weakened hulls.

if the ability (or one like it) is staying, then giving the weapon a travel time would be better.

ray320 wrote:It was a joke myles, I remember what it did....

I always like assault mode too, it often got overlooked because of plasma, but it was a nice one-two punch.

my mistake, i missed that.

assault mode was useful, but it felt a bit uninventive, the norway just went super saiyan. the tanking of stations was moot as monsoons were the go to ship for that job. that left repair rate increase, which didn't make enough difference during the battle. support ships already have good regen stats, so that left the repair bonus as a tool for raiding, which again is done really well by the monsoon.
posted on November 5th, 2012, 8:53 pm
Nope, I'm afraid the Feds abandoned all their nukes during the Romulan War or thereabouts :woot:
posted on November 5th, 2012, 10:14 pm
Depending on some versions of Star Trek "history" , Starfleet used atomic-tipped missiles as late as the 2230s. But, even that is LOOOONG before FleetOps. :)
posted on November 5th, 2012, 10:34 pm
So, will the Norway's shiny new abilities work with Excelsior IIs in platform mode, or will they only work with true platforms?
posted on November 5th, 2012, 11:31 pm
E2 counts as platform with the special activated, so the Norway supports / "synergizes" the E2 as well.

Overall this grants completely new Fed strategies. Wondering what kind of fancy and cheesy strats people will find once it's released. You gonna have to love synergy effects. :thumbsup:
posted on November 6th, 2012, 12:40 am
Using starships as turrets sounds will be an interesting strategy indeed. Im liking the changes to the Norway too.
posted on November 6th, 2012, 10:34 am
Dominus_Noctis wrote:
Andre27 wrote:The plasma coil was an awesome cloak buster though and will be sorely missed.

Unfortunately of course, the Plasma Coil did not hit cloaked units ^-^

Going against the AI i've use the PC numerous times to smoke out nasty cloakers.
posted on November 9th, 2012, 6:47 am
Sweet, the Norway's always been a favorite of mine, and now it seems that it'll have new uses in the game.
1, 2