[NX] A few things I'd like to see

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
posted on March 30th, 2014, 9:31 pm
Jinseta Yensei wrote:Asteroids could replace resource moons altogether and make them upgradable. Maybe even arm them. Since NX is supposed to be a completely revamped STA, armed resource bases could be fit into the balance. Resource transport could still be part of the picture.

Nice idea I always wanted something more like Star Wars Empire at War when it comes to resource bodies. Asteroids where you can actually build resource refineries on them and if the refinery is destroyed the asteroid is still there to be used by the conqueror or by the player who initially had the refinery there and just has to rebuild. I think a combination of this and the way armada currently works would be cool as then we could have difference races utilizing different methods for collecting resources.
posted on March 31st, 2014, 8:27 pm
I'd like to see classlabels largely abandoned in favor of simply throwing in a binary toggle for features. Want a ship to build and harvest resources? Just add isconstructor = 1 and isminer = 1 in the ship file. Want it to shoot, too? Just add some weapons. No need to use replace weapons to change to different ODFs with different classlabels. This is already in stations to some extent, but expanding the system would be nice. A station specific set could be something like isresearcher, isconyard, isrepairyard, and isrefinery.

I would also like ships and stations that can continue to function when their crew reaches zero. They would still switch sides when the enemy boarded them, but an onboard AI or something would operate the ship if the crew was dead. A line like needscrew = 0/1 could be used. I imagine a ship with all the crew dead would operate at a penalty, but some variation on the crewyellow/crewred modifiers would work fine for that.

Showing the build time with the resource cost in the tooltips would be very nice. It's always a pain when something takes way longer to build than you expected.

Continuing with resources, a line like show[resoucename]cost = 0/1 would be handy. I imagine FO itself would have showcrewcost = 0 in everything, but some mods do use crew as a resource.

1337 64M3R wrote:
  • I want shield damage and hull damage classified separately in code so we can have better variety of weapon interaction.

This would be extremely helpful. I have plenty of ideas for things I could do if weapons could be made to do different amounts of damage to shields and hull.

More shader types for models could also be fun. Phong and so forth work fine, but being able to do a mod in a cel-shaded style could be fun and make it stand out.
posted on March 31st, 2014, 11:30 pm
I'd like to see animations expanded upon. For example while in travel mode a Intrepid would have it's nacelles in warp configuration and then when it drops out or is attacked it slows down and the nacelles drop to it's normal sub-light configuration. The same with Birds of Prey and their wings with flight and attack mode. I know it's just eye candy but it would really make these designs stand out and NX itself as I know of no game that does this.

Also rotatable turrets, while not something that might be used a lot in FO (with maybe the exception of some stations) many modders would love this for mods like BSG, B5, Star Wars etc. Star Wars Empire at War does this and they use a rather old engine these days themselves.
posted on April 1st, 2014, 12:20 am
These are all really great ideas. Something I've thought about that will probably get me banned :) since it's what the game's built on, but I'd like to see less special weapons. From a game play perspective they add variety and such, but in Trekverse there's really nothing special about all these ships. Just metal and dilithium with weapons and nothing but the ships strength, maneuverability and their Captains wit and tenacity.

It's a bit rude of me not to flesh this out as at this point I don't have ideas how to do it much beyond this so far, but I'd like to see the game varied between races and such, but in a way that they don't all have a bunch of specials to make them distinct and varied.

I've always liked research to be used to get better more advanced ships/stations. To mount bigger, more powerful weapons on the ship. To refit the ship over time. To mine resources faster and more efficiently. Not necessarily just to get "special" weapons. If an Intrepid and a Vorcha face off in Trek what would happen? The intrepid is faster and more maneuverable, but the Vorcha is stronger and might have more powerful weapons. Which would win? Depends on the Captain. How could this be translated into game play that is both fun and keeps one's attention? Anyway, my additional 2c
posted on April 1st, 2014, 1:05 am
I've not formally put down in this thread something I've said elsewhere that I'd really like to have. Plus a couple of other thoughts.

• The economy being based on a continuous drain system akin to Supreme Commander I.
    • What would be mindblowing would be for resources to have different consumption rates at various points in construction. For example, tritanium would be most heavily used in the early parts of construction as the spaceframe is put together, tailing off in the second half where it's still needed, but not as much.
  • Torpedoes, at least for the Federation, are shown as a physical munition. A reasonable assumption is that the performance of a given torpedo is much the same whether fired from a Centaur or a Galaxy; the overall effectiveness of the weapon system comes from the ship's launcher (burst fire modes, reload time). It may be interesting to try designing Fed ships with this in mind.
    • Additionally, as they are munitions, it may be worth having a "munition count" attribute, with a slow regeneration (to account for the ship's ability to replicate casings and draw warhead antimatter from the main stores).
posted on April 1st, 2014, 4:53 am
MadHatter wrote:Additionally, as they are munitions, it may be worth having a "munition count" attribute, with a slow regeneration (to account for the ship's ability to replicate casings and draw warhead antimatter from the main stores).

I'd love to see a torpedo munition count and have them resupplied from a repair yard.

rifraf wrote:These are all really great ideas. Something I've thought about that will probably get me banned :) since it's what the game's built on, but I'd like to see less special weapons. From a game play perspective they add variety and such, but in Trekverse there's really nothing special about all these ships.

Same here, not a huge fan of special weapons, but at least us modders can mod things the way we want. :thumbsup:
posted on April 1st, 2014, 5:08 am
MadHatter wrote:
  • The economy being based on a continuous drain system akin to Supreme Commander I.

Resource drain was also used in the C&C games and was nice to have. I really liked being able to start things with a small amount of resources and pay for them over time instead of paying for them in a lump sum.

MadHatter wrote:
  • Additionally, as they are munitions, it may be worth having a "munition count" attribute, with a slow regeneration (to account for the ship's ability to replicate casings and draw warhead antimatter from the main stores).

Majestic wrote:I'd love to see a torpedo munition count and have them resupplied from a repair yard.

Ditto. The max number of torpedoes stored and the rate of manufacture would influence the battle significantly. For instance, ships with larger reserves or faster production would be more suited to long drawn out battles like base sieges. Making it available for all weapon types would also be useful from a modding perspective. Battlezone legacy files in A1 actually seem to reference something like this so it may be possible to do it in A1, A2, and FO 3.2.7 already.

Something else I'd like to see is a more complex point defense weapon. The existing one can only use beams and is guaranteed to hit. Being able to set up something more like a flak gun would be extremely helpful.
posted on April 1st, 2014, 5:38 am
cabal wrote:Battlezone legacy files in A1 actually seem to reference something like this so it may be possible to do it in A1, A2, and FO 3.2.7 already.

Something else I'd like to see is a more complex point defense weapon. The existing one can only use beams and is guaranteed to hit. Being able to set up something more like a flak gun would be extremely helpful.

Just two, small, largely irrelevant comment from me - the Battlezone stuff is completely written out of Armada - the only thing used is a small part of the text interface. The stuff in ODFs is just leftovers from testers who didn't know what those commands did and were worried about deleting them :)

The ordnanceDefenseWeapon does have a working hitchance - it's just won't shoot an ordnance if the ordnance defense weapon misses.

Irrelevant messaging out! Carry on :)
posted on April 2nd, 2014, 3:57 am
Dominus_Noctis wrote:Just two, small, largely irrelevant comment from me - the Battlezone stuff is completely written out of Armada - the only thing used is a small part of the text interface. The stuff in ODFs is just leftovers from testers who didn't know what those commands did and were worried about deleting them :)

Oh well. We can still make torps use special energy and limit specials with cooldown times rather than energy cost.

Dominus_Noctis wrote:The ordnanceDefenseWeapon does have a working hitchance - it's just won't shoot an ordnance if the ordnance defense weapon misses.

I did not know this, thanks.

Another idea I had was being able to randomize the voices for ships so that all Akiras for instance aren't captained by clones.

EDIT: Variety in the scavengers would also be nice so it's not always the same Marauder class picking up your derelicts.
posted on April 4th, 2014, 10:44 pm
cabal wrote:EDIT: Variety in the scavengers would also be nice so it's not always the same Marauder class picking up your derelicts.

That would be great, I'd like to see some Malon from VOY show up just as an in-game joke or something.

I'd also like to see more team colour's and the ability to assignment via texture or mesh part. Also player names (and their units) in that colour for easier identification.

More abilities for fighters, including controllable fighters that when they have done their objective return to the carrier.

An example of this:
They are launched and sent to attack an enemy mining station and after it has been destroyed they return to the carrier, however if the carrier is in combat, before landing they help the mothership out attacking it's targets.

Also whenever the mother ship enters combat the fighters launch and automatically attack any enemies assigned as targets by the player and re-enter the hangar after the action is all over.
posted on April 5th, 2014, 5:54 am
Some interesting game engines (Ideas for your NX Project) :

SW Empire at War: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP24E2-iFBY

Imperium Galactica II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HhI8tv24Pc

Vega Conflict: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1YCL6O-J0

Another of my favorite space strategy game is SW Empire at War, and maybe would be nice to adopt some kind of engine like that game and you can use formats like MOD or ALO for your battle cruisers and space stations and yes, some animations would be nice like rotating turrets.
posted on April 5th, 2014, 7:16 am
Something I always end up to desire in any RTS:
Route objects comprised of Waypoint objects.

Define the following objects:
Code: Select all
Route
- composed of Waypoints
- must have at least one Entry Point
- may have defined direction
- may branch
- holds logic to define ship behaviour while on route
- - such as:
- - (boolean) ignore environment (nebula effects, etc.)
- - (multiple choice) stop to engage hostiles, follow hostiles, exit route on contact, etc.

Waypoint
- inherits direction from parent Route
- maps n-to-m Waypoints
- holds conditional logic to distribute ships to next waypoints
- - next Waypoints are from the set of mapped Waypoints, which does not contain the ship's preceeding Waypoint
Entry Point
- Waypoint which can receive ships without preceeding Waypoint
- can be configured to only receive certain kinds of ship (unarmed, frigate, guided missile armed, etc.)
- custom ship command can be defined to send ship to closest eligible or predefined Start Point

End Point
- Waypoint which does not send ships to another Waypoint

Stations may be Waypoints.
Waypoint conditions may be scripted and pre-defined for use in future sessions.
Routes may be partially defined, which prevents ship assignment but preserves the Route.

Usage examples:
- create a route through weapon- or sensor-disabling nebula for freighters
- branch a route through one or several shipyards to have ships in need repair and restock there before proceeding to their destination
- define patrol paths, which survive loss of patrol ships
- define long, complex and seldomly used paths
- create staging and retreat areas, and routes which minimise or maximise chance of engagement

Supreme Commander had something somewhat like this but it did not work as advertised - or I could not figure out how.

Ideally, the Waypoint conditions could be based on another object:
Area
- section of map composed from several rectangular shapes
- can be Waypoints (actual point be random position within section, polled by call)
- provides quantitative information about ships therein
- - such as:
- - number of <type>
- - number of <role>
- - number of <damaged>
- - number of <damaged> <type>
- information may be polled by all objects of the same team
But shipyard Waypoints should also provide information about, say, number of ships queued, decomission order in queue, hostiles nearby, etc. .

After all, such things as battleplans and contingency plans are integral part of all warfare. Their absense from RTS games is unexplainable.
posted on April 6th, 2014, 9:50 am
A few times I played with the space strategy game Galactic Civilizations. And there you have the option to build your own battleship using parts and that's awesome. You don't need to build a ship outside from the game, just build a ship and launch against the enemy's. I'd like to see this option put into the new NX version :-)

Attachments

third rules.jpg
third rules.jpg (76.92 KiB) Viewed 827 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (128.05 KiB) Viewed 827 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (135.9 KiB) Viewed 827 times
posted on April 6th, 2014, 6:17 pm
ok big list so ive tried to make it easy to avoid the tldr by highlighting a few words of each to get the points across

*more ways to hassle the opponent other than mining vessels

* ships can extend shields to another ship by reducing its own strength

* all ships have tractor beams

* re-route system powers to boost others "take the weapons off line and put it into the engines"

*give a useful reason to spread you base out to other parts of the map (placing science stations near nebula or planets gives new ships/tech etc) similar to the boost star bases get in armada 1 with planets giving faster crew recruitment

*some moons/planets destroy able (creates dangerous debris none build-able areas )

*feds get to abandon ship and save veterans to be sent to a star base, they can then be reassigned to a ship of your choosing (depending of the vet stats depends on what is used eg vet 1= 3 escape pods vet 5= shuttlecraft)

*more research, so you can go for more ships or better class of ships

*the ability too trade with local NPCs

*more options in the game set up
*map events (anomalies the alter the map dynamics temporarily or permanently)
*map events (hostile)
*damage strength multiplier x0.5 to x10
*NPC bases (neutral/hostile/trad-able/ally able )

*random map generator, choosing the number of
* players
* moons
* planets
* nebula's
*etc

*ships behavior can be set to fight on the move, becoming a harder target to hit but perhaps less accurate? (so defiants and BoPs would swoop around a lot more) this would make tham distractions as well as more like the show

*damageable ship models, blow of half a saucer section, a wing of of a warbird etc

*planets can be colonized, giving new research or resources, build defenses on the planet or in orbit (but no planet shields)

*resource trading (often i can have loads of one and not the other)

*perhaps more customization on ships (this can be if you wan a faster ship at the expense of weapons strength or if you dont have enough resources you can get a cheaper variant?)

*more goodies from mix tech (more ship variants and new tech)

*damage control crew to other ships

*borg gain research points by assimilating ships (the more valuable the ship, the more points it gets)

*borg upgrade captured ships rather than them getting promotions

*more game modes
*king of the hill
* 1st to capture all the planets
*earn resources by owning territories rather than mining
*invasion (NPCs attack each player in waves)

*all station can be upgraded with different systems, more weapons, more shields, longer range sensors, larger crew capacity (improves performance) each station could start of a bargain base level and you improve them to the standard you want

*captured stations can be used and upgrades in unique ways (think how DS9 was upgraded (done like research not quick purchase like current star bases ))

*optional warp in matches (ships would need cooldown between stopping and starting again to stop it being abused) meaning bigger maps more viable (warp next to structures might be banned in the same way planets were in Armada but to a smaller radius)

*attacking science stations halts research, attacking yards halts construction (not sure about this one but thought id mention it anyway) this goes to the idea of hassling opponents other than mining vessels

*deplete-able moons (this can give a none permanent boost to economy and provide to ability to make maps where map control is shifting)

*all ships to be refit-able, currently a romulan thing but in the shows all sides do it, and perhaps a bit more individual rather than class wide upgrades (like in the shows) perhaps all ships could be refitted to be twice as powerful as its standard,but for a slightly cheaper price (so its worthwhile but it means you only have one ship rather than 2, meaning your going for power rather than fleet size)

*i like the idea of a torpedo munition count, tho i also like it the way it is so perhaps this could be a game option in the match set up

big list i know :sweatdrop:
posted on April 6th, 2014, 7:41 pm
I like a lot of hellodean's material. :thumbsup: I'd go with customizable avatars instead of just one or several ships.

I realize planet colonization is awkward due to size and other limitations. Instead of actual planets, perhaps, the devs could work with mega structures or asteroids. You get the large, heavily populated entities with either special or general advantages offered to the owner without the awkwardness of a planet that looks smaller than the Death Star compared to ships on the field. While on that train of thought, moons and 'no-moons' are perfectly acceptable in my book :P

Something else occurred to me. I don't normally play Romulan or Klingon, but some ideas came after playing for a bit...

For NX:

Cloaked Deployment: 'Build' a ship and be able to see it in the yard, but for Romulan or Klingon, have an option on the yard to launch the ship already cloaked. The ship would already have to be equipped with the cloaking capability and has to go through standard cloak process where the shields go down and so forth. It's a little helpful automation and a bit more added protection.

Permanent Station Cloak: Exclusive to the Romulans. I would gladly trade all the stations' functions for permanent cloak. Throw in restrictions like being unable to receive miners or ships needing repair. Suspending all construction. This would go for defensive bases as well.

Upgradable Cloak: Really a Klingon thing. IMO, Romulans own the cloak theme for obvious reasons. Klingon forces could have inferior cloak, but after the upgrade have superior cloak.

Also, cloak should make itself distinguishable than simple invisibility. Maybe let Romulans have near-perfect invisibility while Klingon ships can still fire but be exposed under certain circumstances like being close to an enemy ship. The weapons could also have their attribs lowered while under cloak.

Borg Halo: A large facility or turret that generates nanites. They regen Borg ships and damage enemies. The whole idea was put forward in another thread.

Also, at the risk of catching serious flack (again), I'd like to the see the TWN in part or completely replace collective uplinks. Using a transport vessel to send resources into the TWN first to allow for other ships to emerge creates a new and unique weakness for the Borg.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7