Sound don't fade away with distance

Program aborts? Network configuration? Graphic errors? Bugs? Post your question here.
posted on April 8th, 2024, 7:03 pm
I have a weird issue with 4.0. I'm not sure why but when a sound is played I can hear it, no matter how distant I am from the source (as long as I see it).
So fir example, if I am an observer, I will hear the sound of every single mining ship minig on the map, regardless of the distance my POV. Originally as POV gets farther from the source, the quieter the sound gets and eventually it fades completely away.
Where can I define when a sound should fade away?
posted on April 8th, 2024, 7:12 pm
Note: I'm pretty sure it's a 4.0 issue, because it appears in the basic game as well, not just in my mod.
posted on April 10th, 2024, 5:07 am
This is a change the devs made to Fleet Ops a very long time ago, I think either 3.0.0 or shortly after. It's because they wanted to have combat notifications "your ships are under attack" but these are generated as regular sounds, meaning you won't hear them if your screen is far away. They decided to change the behavior so sounds don't fall off across the map, so that these alerts could be heard anywhere. The cost of this change is that mining sounds, for example, can always be heard.

I believe this is an engine issue, which can be changed relatively easy somewhere. But I don't know where, and I don't think it can be changed in the configuration files. I've made mining sounds a little quieter in TM to try to compensate, and I might make them even quieter in the future.

I'm pulling this out of my memory from a good 12 years ago, so it's possible there's another way to do it, or that the sound falloff can be changed in the configs instead of modifying the executable.
posted on April 10th, 2024, 6:07 pm
No, that's not it. It works fine in stock FO and JanB's Roots mod as well.
posted on April 12th, 2024, 8:20 am
This is indeed a change in Fleet Ops 4.0. For the Roots mod I made adjustments in the file audio.odf to get sound attenuation to a normal level again.
posted on April 24th, 2024, 7:00 am
JanB wrote:This is indeed a change in Fleet Ops 4.0. For the Roots mod I made adjustments in the file audio.odf to get sound attenuation to a normal level again.

Thanks, you saved me a week of searching!