A weapon that can be used only once per game

Program aborts? Network configuration? Graphic errors? Bugs? Post your question here.
posted on February 28th, 2020, 7:48 pm
My basic issue: I want to have multiple special weapons equipped to a ship. You may have multiple of these ships, but you can fire all of these special weapons only once per game. In total.
So if you have ten of these ships, but one already fired that weapon, the other 9 shouldn't be able to fire it any more. Not even an 11th one if you build one.
I'm sure it can somehow be implemented by a defined fleetcap, I just can't see how. The basic issue is that some of these weapons warp in other ships, and warping in something that would trigger the cap file won't prevent the weapon to be used again (because if you warp in ships above your fleet cap, some of the ships just warp out).

Any suggestions?
posted on February 28th, 2020, 10:34 pm
k_merse wrote:My basic issue: I want to have multiple special weapons equipped to a ship. You may have multiple of these ships, but you can fire all of these special weapons only once per game. In total.
So if you have ten of these ships, but one already fired that weapon, the other 9 shouldn't be able to fire it any more. Not even an 11th one if you build one.
I'm sure it can somehow be implemented by a defined fleetcap, I just can't see how. The basic issue is that some of these weapons warp in other ships, and warping in something that would trigger the cap file won't prevent the weapon to be used again (because if you warp in ships above your fleet cap, some of the ships just warp out).

Any suggestions?

Instead of special weapons, I would be open to map events, I quite like that each ship model in fleet ops has its own unique ability.

For example:
"Q snaps his fingers everyone loses sensors for 60 seconds"
"Whale probe enters the map and disables all systems of ships and stations that it passes (cannot be attacked)
posted on February 29th, 2020, 8:50 am
Possible i think but only way i can think of is using replaceweapon

Itll also will have to be a manual fire but i think may work like
Triger weapon
Replaces with its self and an untargetable immortal invisible object (like fo research pods)
The pod has its own fleetcap of so cant be used again

I havnt modded fo in a while but i cant see that being an issue in fo 3.2.7
I know itll b lot easier in fo4.0 but as not many people use that i guess its not a faverable option
posted on March 4th, 2020, 5:57 am
if the first stage of the weapon is a replaceweapon, it can be done. Create a cap with a limit of 1 that holds 2 pods. The first is the pod that is dropped by the replaceweapon and does the thing. Then when that pod is done with its thing, it drops the second pod. This second replaceweapon will have to have ignorefleetcap = 1 on it.

I'm not sure if this turns the button red, but the weapon will be unable to fire again.

Another way would be to have the game start with a tech pod, or drop it when Avatars are selected, and have it be the tech requirement for the ability. When the ability fires, it also destroys the tech pod, either by dealing direct damage with super high range, or by applying an extraweapon to the tech pod that replaceweapons it into nothing. This would turn the special ability button red as well, or you could have the button disappear entirely when the tech isn't available.