How to read the error logfile?

Program aborts? Network configuration? Graphic errors? Bugs? Post your question here.
posted on February 17th, 2018, 2:18 pm
I'm having a nasty crash in my mod, one I can't track down on my own so I try to figure it out from the error log but to no avail.
How can I convert the "stack dump" section of the logfile for example to readable format? It proven useful in the past when a (part of) an ODF's name popped up there but there are none visible there now so I hope there would be some useful information there.

Anyone can help me with that?

Attachments

exceptArmada2.txt
(24.88 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
posted on February 18th, 2018, 11:29 am
I don't know how to get information out of the logfile when it doesn't have any file names in the stack dump, but the timing of the crash can give you information. At what point does it crash?
posted on February 19th, 2018, 11:44 am
This sound very much like something for a Dev to come and help you out with if it fast and easy for them.
posted on February 19th, 2018, 4:56 pm
íwell it took me the better part of the weekend but I tracked down the issue... :thumbsup:
posted on February 19th, 2018, 8:56 pm
I have have pretty close to the same type of Error Logfiles and haven't been able to figure out what the problem was. Could you possibly tell here what was causing the problem?
posted on March 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm
In my case it was a typo. There was a replaceweapon that can upgrade several ships to their upgraded version. One of those "output' ship ODF names had a typo and when the game tried to replace its original ship and was looking for the non-existing ODF it crashed.
posted on March 8th, 2018, 10:02 pm
That sounds very similar to what I ran into recently. You will get the same error if one of the replaceweapon outputs has a filename that is too long for the game
posted on March 9th, 2018, 4:51 am
Tryptic wrote:That sounds very similar to what I ran into recently. You will get the same error if one of the replaceweapon outputs has a filename that is too long for the game

By any chance, would this ODF file name be too long? - gmultikinetic_neutronic_mine_launch.odf
It is a file that launches a mine that is deployable but not like the stock Anti-Matter Mines. It has the replace weapon coding and the name of the file that it deploys is: altbmultikinetic_mine.odf

In a attached side mom to the main mod that I have been working on I have an Alternate Borg race that is more based in Star Trek Canon and it is having a bug report where the ship being mentioned has no apparent ODF problems and neither does its weapon ODF files yet it still crashes on loading since this ship is set as one of the starting units. All the Borg ships have the same special weapons; including the one mentioned above.

exceptArmada2.txt
Bug Report
(36.57 KiB) Downloaded 329 times

altbscoutcube.odf.txt
Alternate Borg Scout Cube
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
posted on March 9th, 2018, 5:21 am
Yes, that filename is too long for the game engine to handle. For reference, my game crashed on "kli_kahless_stationY_DDW_DDWWT.odf" but not on "kli_kahless_stationY_D_DDWT.odf" so that means the limit is somewhere between 31 and 34 characters (it's probably 32 characters max) and "gmultikinetic_neutronic_mine_launch.odf" is 39 characters.

also keep in mind that effect pods need even shorter filenames. You can get a good idea by looking at the regular Fleet Ops effect filenames
posted on March 9th, 2018, 3:28 pm
Tryptic wrote:Yes, that filename is too long for the game engine to handle. For reference, my game crashed on "kli_kahless_stationY_DDW_DDWWT.odf" but not on "kli_kahless_stationY_D_DDWT.odf" so that means the limit is somewhere between 31 and 34 characters (it's probably 32 characters max) and "gmultikinetic_neutronic_mine_launch.odf" is 39 characters.

also keep in mind that effect pods need even shorter filenames. You can get a good idea by looking at the regular Fleet Ops effect filenames

Okay thank you. I'll have to start taking a better look at my ODF file names.

I'm guessing this includes every ODF file name doesn't matter if its a ship, station, weapon (specials included) but also includes anything in the "Others" folder if going by the original ODF folders directories?
posted on March 9th, 2018, 6:06 pm
Note that according to my experience not only the name but the path to the file also counts. That's why all the ODF files are in a single folder.
posted on March 10th, 2018, 4:57 am
I edited the long weapon names and that Alternate Borg Race's Scout Cube is still crashing the game. I have commented out the weapons and have slowly gone down the list of weapons to determine what the problem is and I have discovered that it is no where near the last two weapons that I created; the last two. The problem apparently is related to the Detection Array. This file is from Rifraf's Alternate Borg Race in his Armada II Classic 2014 Update Mod and I have discovered that it is modeled after the Stock Armada II file and thus shouldn't be causing a crash. I have replaced this file to use the FleetOps 3.2.7 Tachyon Scan special weapon and I have renamed that to use the name: "gdetectb1". Yet the game is still crashing on loading and its still saying that the problem is the Borg Scout Cube.

Up to this weapon the game loads and plays just fine; until any of the other ships are built that are using the same Tachyon Scan weapon. I don't understand why this is happening and like before other than the error Logfile stating the Borg Scout Cube I can't figure out the problem. Nothing is missing in "" and everything is spelt correctly.

Have either of you encountered such a bug or something similar?

exceptArmada2.txt
Bug Report
(36.66 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

Attachments

Ship & Weapon Files in Text Document.zip
ZIP Folder With .TXT Files Of The Ship & Weapon Files Mentioned
(3.51 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
posted on March 10th, 2018, 11:03 pm
So, something I forgot to mention about my bug: after getting it several times, it somehow corrupted my Fleet Ops install and I had to reinstall Flops before it would work again, even with the shorter file names. It's a bit of a stretch, but a reinstall is one possible troubleshooting option.
posted on March 11th, 2018, 3:30 am
Tryptic wrote:So, something I forgot to mention about my bug: after getting it several times, it somehow corrupted my Fleet Ops install and I had to reinstall Flops before it would work again, even with the shorter file names. It's a bit of a stretch, but a reinstall is one possible troubleshooting option.

Maybe I should say that I am not using FleetOps for this project. I have the FleetOps engine but it is all Stock Armada II with nothing of FleetOps left. I'm not sure if you tried Miklosgo's Armada II In FleetOps Mod but it is pretty much that. Its the FleetOps 4.0 Engine but its a modded Stock Armada II; it uses the Mods Directory for mods that use/need Armada II. Its pretty much the Armada II Classic Mod without having to be in the Mods Directory.

What I have noticed though for this Mods Directory Mod ("The Borg Assault") the Special Weapons for all of the Borg Ships and Stations crash the game (even though they are based on stock special weapons); including the two that I made. The main Borg race (the modded stock Borg) actually work. Really this is the first mod where Special Weapons aren't working.

All I do know the Error Logfiles are extremely hard to read; yet they always mention the Borg Scout Cube since I am using that ship to currently do my testing as a Starting Unit. Really be nice to have a way to decrypt these Logfiles especially since they don't always mention any ODF file.