B2:Install - Game Won't Start

Program aborts? Network configuration? Graphic errors? Bugs? Post your question here.
posted on June 19th, 2003, 1:06 am
Fleet Ops beta 1.1 loaded fine, but the game won't start. Whenever I try to start a game, I just get the UFP symbol fade in and fade out.
posted on June 19th, 2003, 8:12 am
ok, first of all, answer some questions pls :)
which operation system do you use?
have you tried to reinstall fleetops since then?
do you have the most recent directx version?
have you problems starting an unmodded version of armada 2?
are you using the most recent graphic card drivers available for your computer?
what version of the armada cd are u using (german? armada 2 patch 1.1 preinstalled?)

DOCa Cola
posted on June 20th, 2003, 12:22 am
I am using Windows XP Professional Edition service pack 1.
I have reinstalled fleetops, but nothing changed.
I am using directx 9.0a.
I am having a problem where sometimes the game crashes and Windows restarts when I start a mission or a saved game. I have been receiving help at armada2files.com.
I downloaded drivers for my graphics card about a month ago.
I have the USA 1.0 CD.

Here is where I have posted my previously mensioned problem with a complete description of my computer.
http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php...&threadid=77793
posted on June 20th, 2003, 4:54 am
ok, pls contact me via instant messenger. but i cannot help you as soon as my new mobo arrives (so i can't use my comp with the files to test your comp environment until then). i hope it will arrives today or on monday.

DOCa Cola
posted on June 21st, 2003, 2:04 am
Hello there. I have Windows XP Service Pack 1, although when my computer was made, there was some "optimizations" made to it... which give me some problems although very few. So, my suggestions here may or may not help out. Anyways, this was one of the very few programs that would not work on install (fade in and fade out of UFP logo, and the launcher said that there was a problem running the executiable. I fiddled with the installer, and got the program to work.

Some programs don't like really long filenames in my blend of XP, these usually being really old software. This program, however, doesn't like really long file names. Thus, in order to get the program to start, I had to install it to the following directory
C:Program FilesActivisionSTA2FO

I say try uninstalling your previous copy of Fleet Operations and try installing it there. At the very least, it won't waste much time, and at least you know that isn't your problem. Also, a last ditch effort (although I doubt anything will be this bad) you can try the path below
C:STA2FO

Good luck solving your problem!
posted on June 21st, 2003, 6:29 am
hm, sounds like a idea worth to try :)

DOCa Cola
posted on July 16th, 2003, 7:22 am
Im having the same prob. tried reinstalling fleet ops with a smaller file name but no effect.

Win Xp Home Edition
updated grapics drivers
AMD 4
18.5 GB drive
Dvd/CD-Rw
S3 Graphics Twister K Compaq
USB Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
128 Mb of Ram
(Notebook)

any help is welcomed
posted on July 16th, 2003, 11:52 am
Ok, lets try to find a solution :)

could you please start -> run -> type "dxdiag" - press ok
then create a log file with the Save All Information... button and attach it to the forum. That would help much to easier find a solution for your problem.
Another question, does original Armada 2 run for you without problems?

DOCa Cola
posted on July 29th, 2003, 8:57 pm
the origional armada2 worked fine.

Attachments

DxDiag.txt
(34.74 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
DxDiag.txt
(34.74 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
posted on July 29th, 2003, 9:48 pm
Ok, i looked through the list and noticed a few things

There is actually a new graphic card driver available
yours is from 12/12/2001
the newer one is from 02/01/2003
get it here: http://ranger.s3graphics.com/xplib/380xpdrv/
i don't know what means with hotkey, no hotkey, rotation
if you also don't know just take the with hotkey file (seems like additional tools or something) but every of these drivers on this page are for your graphic card (86C387 TwisterK (8D02))

also your soundcard drivers seem to be outdated, i looked on the support pages for presario 700z and found the official driver site
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_result.as...del=3369&Os=117
just ignore the graphic card drivers compaq provides here, they are outdated now and just take the soundcard drivers

also your board drivers are over 2 years old now
you have a via chipset, so just download this package and install, it updates your board drivers to the newest version
http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1...ion4in1448v.exe

Hope that helps

ow, although it's a bit to late i forgot to say: welcome to the forum! :)

DOCa Cola
posted on September 21st, 2003, 5:44 pm
well it works but it now is very lagy i cant do anything while in the game. The menu works fine without any lag. And thanks for the welcome, but what i saw from the short time it has great detail, especialy for the shuttle traffic.
posted on September 21st, 2003, 7:51 pm
i got win 2k home and with all of its operations running in the back ground i was froced to get a 500 mg ram or runn everything slow and sluggish. unfortuinitly as your useing a laptop thats gonna be expensive. if you know what the programs do in the back ground use ctrl alt del and go through your tasks. the ones with the high numbers are your memory hogs. since i am not good at this i added memory.
hope this helps boo.

i got
p4, 1.7 gz
512 ram, 20, 40 gig int, 3 80 gig external hard drives
soyo dragon mb
sound blaster card
xtacy vid card.