An issue with Instant Action [Win8.1]

Program aborts? Network configuration? Graphic errors? Bugs? Post your question here.
posted on February 9th, 2015, 2:36 pm
Hello! I love Star Trek Armada 2, and really any RTS game. It's just that since I got my new computer I've had issue after issue trying to get A2 to work, first it was compatibility mode, then it was the graphics driver, and then it was the tgt/ldl, and now it's Instant Action. Basically, whenever I click "Start Game" and get the launch failed/launch successful message, I get an error report sender, and then when I try to send the error report the program crashes. I am using an ASUS N56JN with 8GB of ram, Windows 8.1 64 bit, an Nvidia GeForce 840M, Intel Graphics 4600, and Intel i7 processor. This is a nearly fresh install of FO, just the fact that I have A2 classic installed.
posted on February 9th, 2015, 3:22 pm
hi, i had similar problems.... lenovo laptop, i7, 8gb ram, same gpu 840 gt and intel
i didnt even bother to instal fleet ops (knew about lots of problems)
so much shit to overcome
so here is way i want you to try .......

do not instal fo on win 8.1
i used my very old pc with win xp to instal fo then i copied intire instal to usb drive
and copied that to win 8.1 laptop
voila , all my troubles solved....

stable, never crashes, all multiplayer and instant action working nice, even mods works as they should.

and do not run fo on nvidia gpu, never works, armada 2 is too old , i got max grafick settings using intel gpu...
posted on February 9th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Well, once I upgrade, I refuse to go back.
posted on February 9th, 2015, 5:35 pm
lol, i do not ask you to go back, just use your past to create better future.... :lol:
posted on February 9th, 2015, 9:03 pm
You can probably install it in an XP or 7 virtual machine on your 8.1 system and copy it over from there.
posted on February 10th, 2015, 7:39 am
Tried it, didn't work.
posted on February 10th, 2015, 4:46 pm
Well, let's try one that I know works. Here's a functioning FO installation off of my Win7 system packaged as a 7z. If that doesn't work, we'll probably need the exact text of the error message.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pekkonqwn2bim ... ns.7z?dl=0

And here's 7-Zip to extract the thing if you don't have it.

http://www.7-zip.org/
posted on February 10th, 2015, 9:37 pm
It's the exact same thing, except it's giving me the "You need a CD to play" message. Whenever I try to show, save, or send the error report the program crashes. So I'll provide you with this recording of me trying to run A2. https://anonfiles.com/file/d8401401d94618f367cb32a63a4932fb
posted on February 11th, 2015, 12:58 am
You need to be running FleetOps.exe one directory up. The game uses DLL injection to add and modify features and it doesn't work if you start from Armada2.exe. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you why, though. These features include the necessary modifications to make it run on anything newer than XP.
posted on February 11th, 2015, 1:31 am
Something you guys should know...

In order to install my Armada 2 disk, I just copied the entire disk onto my hard drive (no, not a CD image, the files) into a folder called 'Armada 2'. Then I pressed the 'install.exe' file. Works on Windows 8!
posted on February 11th, 2015, 9:25 am
Y-Wing, are you on 32 or 64 bit edition?
posted on February 11th, 2015, 9:46 am
cabal wrote:You need to be running FleetOps.exe one directory up. The game uses DLL injection to add and modify features and it doesn't work if you start from Armada2.exe. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you why, though. These features include the necessary modifications to make it run on anything newer than XP.

I still used FleetOps.exe, it still gave me the same result.
posted on February 13th, 2015, 1:17 am
Have you gotten it working, MA? If not, you might try sending Doca or another team member a PM.
posted on February 13th, 2015, 2:54 pm
cabal wrote:Have you gotten it working, MA? If not, you might try sending Doca or another team member a PM.

Nope. I can't message him without the error report, and I can't save or send it without the program crashing. :pinch:
posted on February 13th, 2015, 6:07 pm
Log files are also automatically saved to your Fleet Operations application data. This occurs automatically regardless if the program crashes.